Spyder Garage

Post 2015 RTS Unidentified Sound

I recently purchased a 2015 Spyder RTS with 2700 miles on it. The only mod so far was to add the BajaRon Sway Bar. I've put over a 1,000 miles on the spyder and have been reading lots of posts concerning how the spyder handles. This is what led me to install the sway bar right off. I've now experimented with tire pressures from the numerous opinions. The spyder still has all factory tires. Tire pressures when I received the bike from the dealer were Front - 22, Rear - 30. After twitching all over the road and multiple test rides I've ended up with Front - 18 and Rear - 22. What a huge difference in handling. The spyder doesn't twitch like it used to on interstate at 70-75 and stays pretty stable when getting wind buffeting by 18 wheelers. I do get belt vibration when I hit 70 to 75. Vibration tends to stop once cruise is set. Vibration most apparent when throttle is under load getting to speed. Will be getting belt tensioner.

Now that you have the background details let me tell you about the new sound. I was able to post a video on YouTube
    where I was able to capture the sound. I'm riding the spyder in a parking lot in a circle to the right and then left. If you listen closely you can hear the sound. It sounds like a rubbing noise. I've also coasted down my driveway with the engine off and can hear the sound as well. Wasn't able to get a good video capturing the noise so the first one will do. My inclination is to think the belt is now rubbing on the front sprocket. I've noticed since I've reduced tire pressure in the rear the belt now makes a slight pinching noise when I roll the spyder forward or backward manually. It never did this before as I rolled the spyder out of the garage several times to move it around.

I've also attached pictures of the front sprocket. You can see in picture 2 and 3 the belt doesn't look like it has ever ran against the inside of the sprocket lip as there appears to be about a 1/8 area that doesn't show any wear. You can see that the belt has ran against the outside lip at some point as the splines are all shiny. I haven’t smelled any burning rubber like some users have talked about the belt.

Now to my Question.

Right now when I crawled underneath to take the pictures the belt is sitting pretty much center on the front sprocket. So my question is does anyone think the change in the rear tire pressure has affected how the belt is running on the front sprocket and does anyone think the noise is coming from the front sprocket. The noise doesn't sound like a wheel bearing noise to me and I would be surprised if wheel bearings went out with just 4000 miles on the bike. My inclination is to just be cognizant of the noise for now and keep an eye on the drive belt and see how this progresses.

I've also added three pictures showing the rear sprocket and side shots of the belt.

Pic 1
    Sprocket 1 Pic.JPG Pic 2 Sprocket 2 Pic.JPG Pic 3 Sprocket 3 Pic.JPG

Rear Sprocket 1 Rear Sprocket 1.JPG Rear Sprocket 2 Rear Sprocket 2.JPG

Spyder Garage

Default RUBBING NOISE

I can certainly detect the rubbing noise from listening to your video. The belt seems to be centered correctly on the rear sprocket but is probably rubbing against the front sprocket. I would let your dealer look at it.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Hmmm, your 2015 sounds pretty much like my 2015. Have you considered the disc brakes? I do get noise from mine on occasion, especially at slow speeds when I can hear what's going on down there. I usually here mine when turning because in a turn the brake noise isn't being blocked by the wheel/tire/fender. The brake pads can and do rub the disc slightly and can be heard at times. We don't hear this in our cars or even on out two wheeled bikes because the sound doesn't reach our ears as like it does on the "open" wheel Spyder.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Default 2015 RTS Unidentified Sound - Brake Pads

I thought about the brake pads but when coasting down the drive I don't have to be turning and applying the brake doesn't change the sound. If the pads were slightly rubbing the sound should go away when the brakes are applied. Thanks for your input though.

Spyder Garage

It's hard to tell exactly where the sound is coming from with all the other ambient noise. It definitely sounds like a harmonic. In order to better identify it you need to narrow down the area it is coming from. Attach your phone to the right front fender with some masking tape and record the audio, don't worry about the video. Then do the same on the left front fender. Again, do the same in the rear. Compare the sounds to each other and you should get a better idea where to look further.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Rear Sprocket picture #1 looks like the belt is rubbing the inside flange. Try putting a little lubricant on the belt to see if the rubbing noise is reduced or goes away. The drive belt is long and moves around some but you never want it rubbing on the front and rear flanges at the same time. The sound is something that sounds like a belt rubbing to me. I'll bet a simple belt adjustment will eliminate your problem as well as reduce or eliminate the vibration at speed..... Please keep us posted. Good luck
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default 2015 RTS Unidentified Sound - Rear Tire

I think the next step I will take and the easiest is to add air to the rear tire to get it back to 30 lbs as it was when I received it and ride several miles to see if the noise goes away since this is the only thing that has changed over the last several days. I swapped out the sway bar weeks ago and just got around to messing with tire air pressures over the past week. The drive belt on the rear sprocket looks the same to me from day one other than it does give a pinching sound like it is too tight now when I roll it out of the garage. I'll need to research the specs on aligning the belt and see if this might be a simple 1/4 inch adjustment on a bolt or something. For now it appears the belt is rubbing the outside of the front sprocket and the inside of the rear sprocket. All of this makes me think of how a treadmill belt will work itself to one side or the other over time and then you just give a slight adjustment to one side or the other and the belt will re-center. Of course I know this will end up being a lot more complicated.

Thanks to all for the input.

Spyder Garage

My last Spyder, a 2015 RTS was making the same sounds at slow speeds. It was the belt rubbing the rear inside flange. Adjust the belt so it isn't rubbing against the flange and the noise will go away. It did on mine. Good luck.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

My 2018 RTL is the same as in your pics, i have 1 mm from the outside flange at the front and 1.5 at the inside of the rear pulley .Now how do i or you increase the clearance on ether without decreasing the other ?

Someone suggested that there is an engine line up bar .My be the engine is to for to the right,because i have no room for adjustment.
    Last edited by stmike 1800; 08-28-2018 at 08:22 AM.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Default 2015 RTS Unidentified Sound - Added Air To Rear Tire

Weather has been cooperating and I was able to add air to the rear tire bringing it back to 30lbs. I've been riding it all around for the past couple of days and the noise has reduced by maybe 50%. Rear tire still has a pinching sound when I roll it out of the garage. So maybe after a few more days it will return to its' original state. That will force me to continue research about making small adjustments to the rear wheel as I want to go back to the 22lbs that made the bike ride so well. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks

Spyder Garage

It could also be that the tread blocks on your tires have 'scalloped' or been worn 'heel/toe' and the change in pressure has changed the noise the blocks make on the road surface.... but your belt does look OK in the pics.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default 2015 RTS Unidentified Sound

I've been riding the bike around all day today with the tire pressure lowered back to 22lbs and the noise is pretty much gone. I guess it just took awhile for the belt to adjust itself to the new tire pressure. I still get a pinching sound when pushing the bike in and out of the garage. I did find a good video on YouTube about Can Am Spyder Belt Adjustment. The key with the video is it tells me which way to turn the adjustment screw for the direction I want the belt to move. Turn clockwise for the belt to move left. Here is the link: .

I want to thank everyone for your inputs.