Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Used RT Guidance...

So I am looking for a used RT, and could use a little guidance. I am currently a Honda ST1300 rider, which I love. But this bike is for my Dad for a next few years as he needs to move from 2 wheels to 3. I realize some questions could venture into opinion, but I am more looking for technical plus and minuses. Thanks for the help.

Want an RT for passenger longer rides.

1. Believe I want an RT-S or -L, and reason to not get those creature comforts?

2. I am thinking 2010 to 2012 is probably the right budget area for me... seems to be a number of them with less that 20K miles, in the 10,500 to 13,500 range. Better or worse years?

3. Last but not least, Manual or Semi Auto. I am completely comfortable as is my Dad with manual. Help on this one?

Thanks.
    D

Spyder Garage

Default Opinions.....

Though I am a die hard V-twin lover you really should squeeze as much as possible and go for the 14 and up with the triple six speed. If you should stay with the older models the 12's seem to have been the best of the litter. As for manual vs auto...I like the manual best but that is a test ryde decision. As to the ending letters on an RT it is mostly comfort things that you can add or modify yourself. Test them out or look for a demo day at dealers and see what suits you best...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dfester007 View Post
    So I am looking for a used RT, and could use a little guidance. I am currently a Honda ST1300 rider, which I love. But this bike is for my Dad for a next few years as he needs to move from 2 wheels to 3. I realize some questions could venture into opinion, but I am more looking for technical plus and minuses. Thanks for the help.

2. I am thinking 2010 to 2012 is probably the right budget area for me... seems to be a number of them with less that 20K miles, in the 10,500 to 13,500 range. Better or worse years?

3. Last but not least, Manual or Semi Auto. I am completely comfortable as is my Dad with manual. Help on this one?

Thanks.
    D
    PM Sent.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As much as I loved my 2010 RT: do yourself a favor, and look for a 2014 or newer bike.
    You will not be sorry!

Happy hunting!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default What Chupaca Said

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Though I am a die hard V-twin lover you really should squeeze as much as possible and go for the 14 and up with the triple six speed. If you should stay with the older models the 12's seem to have been the best of the litter. As for manual vs auto...I like the manual best but that is a test ryde decision. As to the ending letters on an RT it is mostly comfort things that you can add or modify yourself. Test them out or look for a demo day at dealers and see what suits you best...
    X 2 !!
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dfester007 View Post

Thanks.
    D
    The plain RT does not have as many options. In 2010 the RTS was the top of the line machine. All other years, RT-S was the "tweener" with cruise, auto shift, and extra badging. The L had extra real chrome and a GPS.

2010 - 2013 will get you a two cylinder. 2014 and up, the three cylinder. Many, feel the three cylinder is an improvement over the two. Less maintenance, and better gas mileage.

Manual vs. Semi--most opt for the Semi auto. Manuals usually sell for a bit less, but they are harder to sell when you put them on the market.

I currently have a 2011 and a 2014. One A & C (base model with semi auto, radio and cruise) and one RT-S. I am happy with both versions.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-28-2018 at 02:40 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I've recently joined riding a Can Am within last 60 days. I made sure I purchased a 2014 or newer to take advantage of the newer engine. I would strongly recommend you try to squeeze out the extra dollars for this. Two things right off the bat you will need to do. 1. Purchase a BajaRon Anti Sway Bar $288 or equivalent brand and upgrade the factory sway bar if not already done. 2. Check the tire pressure for the front and rear tires when you test ride. If they are high say Front - 20 and Rear - 30 you will find the bike what I call twitchy. Meaning it won't necessarily be stable in curves over 40 or so and if on the interstate the wind buffeting will be bouncing you around. I read a lot of posts about tire pressure and lowered mine to Front - 16 Rear - 22. I'm amazed at the difference in the ride. So, if you test ride a bike at a dealer or from an individual lower the tire pressure for the second ride and see what you think it does for making a difference in handling.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 and love it. It revs a little higher than the 14's, but so what. For the money the 12's are the best bike on the road, and most of them will have the extra stuff already on them.. My two cents worth.. and mine is a manual shift, after riding forever on two wheels it feels right..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's no doubt: they're ALL pretty darn good!
    It's just that some of the improvements that come with the 2014 and newer models are pretty impressive.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Another vote for 2014 and newer. My dad has a 2013, and it is nice. But the 2014 is much more refined!
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Default Prior ST rider

I had a 2000 ST1100, and I went to a 2015 RT S Glad for all the creature comforts and the power availability of the 1330. Thats what I was looking for and I love it. Had 6000 miles on it last Feb and now have over 20K.
    2015 RT S , None Tried one, but took it off. Didn't like it Black and Silver

Spyder Garage

2012 Definitely - and the manual if Great on it- I have the Manual on my F3 1330 Engine ands don't care for the 6 speeds with a manual- If I were to buy the newer one again I would get Paddle Shift.
    Why Not wait till Sep 9 When the New $10,000 model is going to be announced?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Although my '14 was my first Spyder, I heartily agree with those who recommend the '14 and later. You could probably find a number of low mileage candidates at very attractive prices with the '19s due out shortly. The three cylinder engine/trans is just so much better maintenance cost and interval-wise. Unless your dad demands a manual trans you'd be better off with an automatic, better resale should your dad decide he doesn't like it. Get him to read the do's and do not's sticky. Convincing him too that there is a different way of riding them when coming from two wheels and encouraging him to get at least 3,000 miles on it is best approach to making him a believer.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I had a 2012 RT limited, nice , comfortable 2 up machine, the only problem with the older ones, pre 2013, is your right foot roasted. Also, if you are tall , like me, even with after market hyway pegs my knees would get cramps on a long ride. I personalty recommend the F3. It if better for taller riders, faster and more fuel efficient

Spyder Garage

had the 2012 r-t manual shift , the gas mileage was great , although this model did not have radio , or heated grips ( plan janer of the crop ) it was a great first spyder cycle ! had a couple of things that needed fixing , which I handled myself ... sold that one purchased a 2011 r-t limited paddle shift , gas mileage is not as good as a manual ( the high rev`s too shift , compared too not having too have high r-p-m`s too shift on the manual , the paddle shift has a sweet spot that will need too get comfortable with , or it shifts with a defined clunk , you get that sweet spot and she is smooth as ice , limited has all the bells and whistles , ride control , radio , heated grips , fog lights ( oh and luggage )

Spyder Garage

Hmmm, wonder what dfester ever bought.....??
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    Hmmm, wonder what dfester ever bought.....??
    Unfortunately, we get a lot of that. Posts asking for help with mechanics, or advice. Many times, we do not get any answer back.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

His last official visit here, was back on August 30th: three days after joining, and starting this thread...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    I have a 2012 and love it. It revs a little higher than the 14's, but so what. For the money the 12's are the best bike on the road, and most of them will have the extra stuff already on them.. My two cents worth.. and mine is a manual shift, after riding forever on two wheels it feels right..
    I have to second this...2012 RT-s I've had for the last 4 years (bought it used) has treated the Wife and I well.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    His last official visit here, was back on August 30th: three days after joining, and starting this thread...
    Seems like many come, take, leave. I've always leaned toward more directing folks to established info, aka 'search' -this site has TONS of info from many experts--and less enabling ( doing the work for them) Just my opinion
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    I also have a 2012 RT but mine is the SE5, semi-automatic. I love it! I bought it used with 50,000 miles (yes, fifty thousand miles) on it, and had it thoroughly checked out by my local CanAm dealer. Its been 2 1/2 years without a hiccup. It has all the luxury stuff I need, and none of the flashy gizmos I don't need. I ride it as often as the weather allows. The only things that stop me are rain and temps below freezing...black ice is not good. I'm not rich enough to trade for a '19 so I'll ride this one as long as possible. LOL

Spyder Garage

Well, since the thread is already here, I'll ask my questions. I'm still looking for my RT. I'd prefer an RT-S or Limited. I'll probably go used unless I can get an amazing deal on new. So, what I'm seeing in my area is a lot of 2014s for sale. One or two '15s, maybe one '16, no '17s. Is there something "wrong" with the 2014 model? I usually avoid the first model year of anything, but, not always. The prices I'm told seem a little steep, but from my research they'e abot average around here. Some of the '14s are going for around $15k with very low miles. There's an "orange" one with under 1k miles on it about 130 miles away going for $15k that looks good. There's the same bike locally at the used HD shop, but they're "asking" just under $19k for it.

So, is the 2014 MY a problem? I'm not afraid to do my own work - my brother is a mechanic and does most of thew work on his own bikes.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The 2014 is good nothing wrong with them (good bike) its all about the price. now if you look at new say a 2018 left over for just under 20 you get little improvements to the bike and warrantee. so again its all about the price and what you are will to pay.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Maybe he posted out of excitement but before talking to his better half.....
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    Maybe he posted out of excitement but before talking to his better half.....
    see post above mine that was posted today by wahrsuul
    2012 RTL , Brown