Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Shifter question

My 2014 may be developing a new problem - the paddle shifter still shifts upwards with a slight touch, but suddenly I'm having to apply a fair amount of force to get it to downshift. The transmission is fine when it automatically downshifts so I believe the issue is purely with the shifter/cable. It is still usable but I fear that if it worsens I won't be able to put the bike in reverse.

Where can this mechanism be adjusted? Is it easy enough for a shade tree mechanic or do I need to get my dealer to disassemble the entire bike and replace all of the parts like they normally do?

You guys always come through so I'll eagerly await your responses.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

First of all, there is no cable to replace or adjust, it is "fly by wire", meaning it is electric/electronic.

Most likely, it is the paddle mechanism itself that is going bad, just had mine replaced on a brand new 2018.

The whole left handle bar control module would need to be replaced.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Following...I have the same prob on -14. And: last week while in city driving I had difficulties to go from neutral to 1st..like I had to toggle the shifter. No it is OK, go figure!

Spyder Garage

I just had the left "multi function" switch replaced on my 2015 RT for crazy shifting issues. Once replaced, all was good. There is no fixing that switch module, just replacement. The part itself was almost $400.00.

Gunner

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wow, I was really hoping for more of a “squirt some WD-40 here” kind of solution. I’m going to keep riding a bit trying to always leave myself a means of exiting without reverse in case it fails and take the bike to the shop soon. Yuk.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

i had the same problem earlier in the year (April). Before I brought it in for annual service it had corrected itself and have had no recurrence 7,000 miles later.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you checked your engine's oil level?
    If that's just a bit low (Pretty unlikely!): it can make the shifting get a bit "wonky".
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black