Spyder Garage

Default Starter Problem?

Hi everyone..this is my first post. I’ve had my Spyder since last fall and am absolutely loving everything about it. I have a 14 RTL with about 30,000 miles. I’ve noticed that sometimes when starting it turns over a couple of times or for a better description drags before starting up. I immediately thought it was the battery so I replaced it. I am still having the issue. I would say it starts right up about 80% of the time but the few times that it drags when starting I worry there may be something else wrong. Does this sound like I may need a new starter? Has anyone else experienced this? I may give my dealer a call next week to get it checked out.

Spyder Garage

Notice any smell fuel, or maybe something too hot? Hopefully not, but there can be a number of things affecting start up. There is a procedure "TWO" Throttle Wide Open that is recommended for some hard to start situations (others please chime in) not sure if yours is in that category, so please wait till somebody else confirms before you just try.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Notice any smell fuel, or maybe something too hot? Hopefully not, but there can be a number of things affecting start up. There is a procedure "TWO" Throttle Wide Open that is recommended for some hard to start situations (others please chime in) not sure if yours is in that category, so please wait till somebody else confirms before you just try.
    I’ve not noticed any smell or anything getting too hot. It’s been doing this for a while now. I was hoping the new battery would take care of it but still doing it. What doesn’t make sense is that on an all day ride with multiple starts it may only happen once or twice. We rode today and out of 5 starts, it did it only once.

Spyder Garage

Default cables

Before resorting to changing an expensive starter, I'd clean and retighten both the positive and negative battery cables. It could be as simple as a little corrosion under a clamp.

Spyder Garage

One other thing I wondered about is that hubby installed a J&M CB about the same time this issue started. He says that he doesn’t think that would cause the starter to drag.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CA Railwhale View Post
    Before resorting to changing an expensive starter, I'd clean and retighten both the positive and negative battery cables. It could be as simple as a little corrosion under a clamp.
    We will definitely check that. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orangecrush View Post
    One other thing I wondered about is that hubby installed a J&M CB about the same time this issue started. He says that he doesn’t think that would cause the starter to drag.
    No but may have loosened a ground cable that could cause issues

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CA Railwhale View Post
    This. And BOTH ends of the cables.

Then.....was your new battery fully charged before installing ?
    Has anyone checked the charging voltage while running ??

And just to cover all the bases.......you do check your oil level occasionally.....right ??

Spyder Garage

Default Back track....

I agree with Bfromla in that is is wise to go back to when it started and recheck any changes made to the machine. Don't know where the connections were made but could be the issue if they were not made correctly. Next step would be to check the starter out but have not seen any problems with this new machines....9
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    This. And BOTH ends of the cables.

Then.....was your new battery fully charged before installing ?
    Has anyone checked the charging voltage while running ??

And just to cover all the bases.......you do check your oil level occasionally.....right ??
    I wasn't clear, I meant to say BOTH ends although corrosion is more likely at the battery connections.

Spyder Garage

Default Starter hesitation problem

I was having the same kind of problem and my husband insisted it was the battery. It was possibly low, but the battery basically was drained by attempting to start and now the starter is frozen up necessitating a new started. I believe my problem all along was the starter. Once we get a new starter next week, (had to order nobody this side of Missouri has one) I will post if the darn thing starts. I have 33,000 miles on my 2012 RT. Maybe this will help you or maybe yours is all fixed.

Spyder Garage

Default Starter problem

Quote Originally Posted by Orangecrush View Post
    Hi everyone..this is my first post. I’ve had my Spyder since last fall and am absolutely loving everything about it. I have a 14 RTL with about 30,000 miles. I’ve noticed that sometimes when starting it turns over a couple of times or for a better description drags before starting up. I immediately thought it was the battery so I replaced it. I am still having the issue. I would say it starts right up about 80% of the time but the few times that it drags when starting I worry there may be something else wrong. Does this sound like I may need a new starter? Has anyone else experienced this? I may give my dealer a call next week to get it checked out.
    when it drags and then starts are you having any mechinical noises that don't belong there??? If so look towards the Sprague clutch. My 14 twin was doing the same thing over more than a years time, became more frequent and finally would not start. Sprague clutch was bad; thankfully covered under extended warrenty. $1400 repair on the RS, don't know what it would be on the triple.. Just a thought.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

My 2009 GS has started doing same thing. Battery tested fine. Does not do it all the time. Did the new starter solve the problem?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CHRIS T View Post
    My 2009 GS has started doing same thing. Battery tested fine. Does not do it all the time. Did the new starter solve the problem?
    Check those cable connections.
    Check the charging voltage while running.

And....if your battery is more than 4 years old, just replace it.
    Battery "tests" don't always tell the whole story.