Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Color of wires needed for volt meter

Im getting ready to remove my fuel gauge and temp gauges from my 2014 RTS...I would like to put the volt meter in the left panel in place of the gas gauge...Does anyone know the exact colors of the + & - wires I need to use??? Also, anyone that put the volt meter in the right side in place of the temp gauge, what were the exact color of the + & - wires for that side???

I plan on putting a air gauge in the right side in place of the temp gauge...I will be making my air pressure manually adjustable using the dash switch...NO MORE constant automatic exhausting and pressurizing the air bag with every movement of the bike...One side of the rocker switch will activate the compressor and the other side will activate the dump valve...If we are riding double and I like the ride with 70 lbs of air, I will set the dash air gauge to 70 and ride...If I want more or less I will change it...I'm tired of hearing the compressor cycling on and off...NO I DON"T HAVE ANY LEAKS...I HAVE LEFT IT SET IN THE GARAGE FOR 2 WEEKS WITH 80 lbs and the only air it looses it what is lost checking the air...larryd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dont worry about colors. The ground is the center wire in the plug that goes to the OEM gauges( i think its black BTW ). For power, use the wire with the female blade terminal on it. It is 12 volts and powered the light in the OEM gauge It is the same on either side. I used a screw and attached my ground wire to it and pushed it into the OEM connector. Then used a male blade terminal to plug the power in. No wires get cut.
    Last edited by Joel The Biker; 08-24-2018 at 11:27 AM.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    ...I would like to put the volt meter in the left panel in place of the gas gauge...Does anyone know the exact colors of the + & - wires I need to use???
    I hope this is a digital voltmeter, because the analog ones are pretty much useless.

And then, are you asking which existing wires to tap into to power the voltmeter ??
    There might also be a back light involved.

As far as wires going to the meter, + is usually RED and - is usually black.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My reading of the 2014 Roadster Shop Manual Supplement schematic:

FG (Fuel Gauge):
    FG1-S Bu is signal from sender
    FG1-G Bk/Vt is ground
    FG1-P Og/Rd is LFB F7 +12V
    FG2 Og/Rd is LFB F7 +12V

CTG (Coolant Temperature Gauge):
    CTG1-S Bg/Bk is signal from dashboard cluster
    CTG1-G Bk/Vt is ground
    CTG1-P Og/Rd is LFB F7 +12V