Spyder Garage

Default Non-OEM tire installation?

Does anyone know of someone in the south-central (Montgomery area) who can mount a non-OEM tire on a Spyder? My former go-to guys (ISCI in Montgomery) no longer offer that service, and they admit they don't know of anyone else in the area. And my local dealer won't install a non-OEM tire.

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

If you are able to pull your rear wheel yourself you can do that then take it to any tire dealer and they can mount it for you,but unless they are willing to use dyna beads they can't balance it. Or you can have your spyder dealer remove the wheel for you and then you take it to a car tire dealer to mount your tire. I remove my rear tire myself and have a car tire dealer mount the tire and balance with dyna beads.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Caution

If you pull your own rear wheel for the first time there is something to be aware of. When you take off the wheel, be sure to note the position of the adjusting screws. They will affect the alignment and belt tension.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

All above noted. I'm trying to avoid the investment in the jack and tools necessary to do a once-every-three-years task. I'm also quite aware that one can easily screw up the belt tension.

I'd rather leave this to someone who knows what they're doing.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default tire help

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    Does anyone know of someone in the south-central (Montgomery area) who can mount a non-OEM tire on a Spyder? My former go-to guys (ISCI in Montgomery) no longer offer that service, and they admit they don't know of anyone else in the area. And my local dealer won't install a non-OEM tire.

Thanks!
    I just sent you a PM .....before I read this post ..... Mike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default JACK for Spyder

All above noted. I'm trying to avoid the investment in the jack and tools necessary to do a once-every-three-years task. I'm also quite aware that one can easily screw up the belt tension.

What kind of personal veh. do you own ..... a lot of them have scissor jacks ( or mechanical tubes / bottle jack ) and they will work fine ....just keep the front tires on the ground to prevent tipping .............. I bought TWO of them at flea market for $3.00 ea.... I removed the ring on the ends of both and welded 1/2 nuts on ....I can fully raise the jack with my cordless drill in 2 seconds and /or 1/100th of an inch per second .....which is nice if you are removing bolts that have pressure on them ....... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-23-2018 at 10:12 PM.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Take your wheels off and take them to any tire store you like they will mount them for you
    Dave

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

So as I said if you don't want to do it have your dealer R and R the wheel then he can worry about the belt.Or check out finless' video on doing it without bothering the belt tension. Or follow Mike's suggestion and get a cheap scissor jack.Or a cheap bottle jack at Walmart.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Appreciate the feedback --really. However, I just re-looked at Finless Bob's video on RT rear wheel removal.

It presumes a skill level I don't have. It also skips some key parts IMO (for example, he talks about getting ready to remove the rear axle; then presto! he jumps to having the wheel completely off [around the 5 minute mark]. As a newbie at this, I'd really like to see exactly what he did there). There re also a number of "watch out for this" hints that I have no clue as to the whys or wherefores.

If there were someone in my area who could watch me over-the-shoulder and walk me through this, that would be great. But according to that video, plus some tips and hints scattered across other threads, there are a lot of little things you need to be aware of.

I'm not a mechanic. While on my previous bikes I was comfortable changing the oil, bleeding breaks, changing tires (easy on, easy off, compared to a Spyder), and on my airhead BMW checking valve clearances, there is too much to go wrong here, especially the first time through. I also have to buy some more tools that I don't currently have.

That's why I'm looking for a mechanic. I don't have the expertise, confidence, or tools. It's worth it to me to pay someone knowledgeable.

What gripes me about my dealer's position is that he's forcing me to buy an overpriced tire (at $189 not including installation, easily twice what any better tire would cost) with a short tread life that will have me back in the shop after only half the mileage (at best) of my current General Altimax. Guaranteed money-maker for him! FWIW, I also pulsed the next five dealers in an expanding radius way from me; none of them will install an non-OEM tire either.