Spyder Garage

Default Loctite 648 preventative maintenance on F3T at 43600 miles

Sorry Heading should say 34,600 miles

Based on the number of postings on front sprockets on the F3, and a recent friends tow and week at the shop, I decided to attempt the preventative maintenance described by Lamont using Loctite 648 (found on Amazon for about $20). I have checked the sprocket visually for the "red dust" many times and none has been noted to date.

A disclaimer first. I am not a machinist or mechanic, but I do enjoy saving money and getting my hands dirty taking things apart. This task had me wondering if I was in over my head.

Since I regularly change our tires, I decided to wait until the latest General had seen its best and while the belt was off, pull the front sprocket and apply the Loctite 648.

I was scared to romp on the 16 mm head sprocket bolt to loosen it as the only backup was the belt holding it to the rear sprocket/tire with the brake set. First get the right tool and using a 24" breaker bar with 1/2 drive 16 mm socket it was easy to break loose the bolt with minimum stretch/springiness to the belt. Maybe an impact would have been better.

DSCN2686.jpgDSCN2685.jpgDSCN2683.jpgDSCN2682.jpg

When I pulled the bolt out, I noticed some white mastic material around the splined shaft and sprocket, and then also found more of the white pungent grease on the back machined groove of the splined shaft. I assume that it was used to seal the areas from moisture on OEM assembly?

DSCN2683.jpgDSCN2673.jpg

So I cleaned them up a little and then sprayed the splines and grooves in the sprocket with brake cleaner and used an small brass bristle brush to further clean them up and wiped down with paper towels. I didn't do a good a job as a machinist would do and maybe this was my first mistake.

Then I did a quick slide the sprocket on check, and it slid half way on with minimal interference. I decided all was good an was aware that the Loctite 648 had a 5 minute placement time. Okay, grab the loctite and my wrench, and get ready to "lather up". If a little is good , a little more loctite lathered on is Great - Right?

With the sprocket started on the splines I liberally squirted about 1/2 0.34 ounce bottle of the stuff into the end of the sprocket and tried to shove the sprocket on , put med Blue Loctite on the bolt threads, and use the bolt threads to pull the sprocket on.... BIG MISTAKE.

The threads werent even starting to engage, and now I scurried to find a block of wood to use as a drift to tap the sprocket on with my trusty ball peen hammer (once I located both). Aware that time was passing I panicked. The Loctite was pooled inside the sprocket and I tried to pull the sprocket off, but it was stuck, and where oh where is my puller??

Well I found a puller and my hammer pull bar (black bar in first picture). Had some trouble getting the jaws adjusted on the red pulley puller, but was lucky enough to get the into the close tolerances around the sides of the sprocket. Then my wife drove into the drive and I was forced to face the music that her bike was not ready to ride tomorrow

I kept at it remombering that the 24 hr full cure SHOULD result in lower strength for awhile, and if I could get the sprocket off, I could still chip the excess out, and do a better job tomorrow with all tools found and at the ready---- and a cleaner shaft, and less Loctite evenly spread for a good bond. That was my plan, and I am happy to report after another hour I had the sprocket off, and cleaned, and ready for reassembly this morning.

I did several more trial fittings of the sprocket on the shaft, tapping it up slightly with the block of wood and hammer and using my black puller bar to tap it back off. Then a final cleaning a couple of times with acetone, brass brush, Qtips, paper towels and rags, and I was ready to assemble this morning.

I had all my tools assembled at the ready, Jack positioned to relieve belt tension and then lower it when I needed the belt to hold backup to tighten,, and Qtips to smooth out the Loctite 648 with an uniform Lighter coat all around the middle portion of the splined shaft. Slid the sprocket on--TAP TAP with the wood block and hammer to seat, Blue Loctite on the Bolt threats, and 16 mm socket on 1/2 drive torque wrench ready.

I ran the bolt in with a drill driver to save time, then tightened with the wrench and socket, backed it out to relieve any hydraulic lock, and then torqued it evenly with the torque wrench to 92 ft lbs. Then took a picture and reported to The Boss, that her ride was ready tomorrow morning to Ryde. Now to wash it for brownie points

Sorry for the wordiness.
    Last edited by AeroPilot; 08-24-2018 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Sorry Heading should say 34,600 miles
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

I hope you used a new bolt, one time use.
    done this job at 12 k and surprised yours lasted 34k. My sprocket slid on easily all the way to the collar with no pounding. Did you use a new sprocket. Good job! Tim

Spyder Garage

Default Seems like tolerances vary a bit accorrding to posts

I had to order the bolts.. one for a spare since they're only $10. Closest stock point was Las Vegas- go figure. Since my sprocket seemed tight (I know, a relative term) I passed on the $100 sprocket for now..
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Default White punget stuff?

Does any one know what that White Mastic Material stuff on the bolt is? I think Victory uses the same stuff to keep bolts tite. Sure would like to have some of it.
    Last edited by wingit3611; 08-24-2018 at 02:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

Wow, you must of got a good sprocket, amazing, so there is hope! Tim

Spyder Garage

I remember seeing a video of Lamonster doing this. Does anyone have a link. Im at 7000+ miles but no red dust. I would like to review his video.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

It seems like it would be in BRP's best interest to have a recall to do this to all of them.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic