Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Can AM F3 top case - any buyers regret?

I'm considering the $$$ purchase of the top case for my F3T. I like the look of it on the bike and the extra storage it provides. I'm also not interested in any other aftermarket solution after looking at all the other alternatives.
    Does anyone regret their purchase and what it brings including capacity, looks, etc.? I'll be wanting the Spyderpops kit that moves the top case back 5 inches, so if anyone has thoughts on that I would appreciate the input.
    Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Default top case

No i have no regrets lots of room the lid is a little flimsy but i added a goldwing rack to the lid making it more sturdy

Spyder Garage

It came standard on my 2018 F-3 Limited and i love it, plenty of extra room and a great backrest for my passenger, i also added a rack (show chrome in Black) and it made the lid more solid.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Top case

I had to order mine when I purchased the bike in Feb. 17 as they were not available till Apr.,but I have no regrets at all. The size of the opening and the rest of the case is so much more user friendly than the RT.
    Monique,
    2016 F3t pearl white
    Ultimate driver back rest
    12v power outlet for batt. tender
    Doc Humphries' vibration damper
    factory floorboards
    added topcase

Spyder Garage

I have a 2018 F3L and love the top case. Will add rack to sturdy up lid. Plenty of room. I hated my RT trunk. Was to deep. Had to pile everything on top of each other. I also added Spyder pops trunk extender. Very sturdy and still looks factory. The dealer didn't even notice it when I had in for service. The wife loves the extra 4 or more inches of room.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JP58; 08-22-2018 at 11:39 AM.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks, everyone, for your input on the top case. I just ordered all the parts and pieces and hopefully will get it in time for a Labor Day weekend install.

Spyder Garage

I got a top case fitted to my 2016 F3Ltd and had a few minor problems with it.
    Firstly, the central stop/tail light fitted to the case was a dummy. That's right, there was no lamps fitted at all. It was just a black piece of plastic in the same shape as the tail/stop lamp assembly but surprisingly the wiring was there. I've since fitted the correct lamp assembly and that works OK.
    Next, when shutting the lid, one of the two catches near the hinge occasionally does not engage correctly and I have to tap it in place before closing the lid.
    The entire topcase sounds and feels quite flimsy to me. For the money I paid I would have thought it would be a bit more substantial. That being said, I've had no problems with cracking, leakage or breakage.
    Andrew
    Melbourne Australia
    2016 F3L Spyder

Now, wash your hands

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Needs Improved

Do not dismiss the 2 previous posts about how "flimsy" the top case lid is for the F3. This is one(of the many) areas where BRP cut corners. A luggage rack should NOT be a mandatory accessory buy to stiffen the case so it will close perfectly 100% of the time. BRP was kind enough to put 4 marking dimples in the lid to show you where the luggage rack should be mounted. The Spyderpops seat pad/top box extender is an expensive proposition(around $500.00 + installation).
    Mike
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    Do not dismiss the 2 previous posts about how "flimsy" the top case lid is for the F3. This is one(of the many) areas where BRP cut corners. A luggage rack should NOT be a mandatory accessory buy to stiffen the case so it will close perfectly 100% of the time. BRP was kind enough to put 4 marking dimples in the lid to show you where the luggage rack should be mounted. The Spyderpops seat pad/top box extender is an expensive proposition(around $500.00 + installation).
    Mike
    I did buy the luggage rack also to help with that lid issue, as I had noticed it when I first looked at the top case a year or so ago. With the Spyderpops kit I'll be able to have enough room for the passenger, so cost was not a consideration on that. I plan to install all this stuff myself so no installation costs that I know of. Hopefully it will all turn out well when I'm finished. This is my last Spyder, so I want to get it comfortable for both my wife and I for some upcoming trips.

Spyder Garage

Mike the seat extender is 389.00 with free shipping. It's also easy to install. Does not need much mechanical knowledge to do.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

I just bought an F3L Dark 2018. for passenger and long trips the top case will be awesome. When I do solo runs or short trips with the wife I have the top case removed. I love being able to remove the top case and reinstall with ease.

I personally am not a fan of how it looks. That is just me personally tho. Im not really into the huge touring look. But for practicality 100% amazing.

like said above the lid is flimsy but if you just be careful and take your time with it then you wont have any issues.

the one thing I hate/Love is the lid will open and lock open. be careful when you pull it down to close it, you have to slide the tab over or it may break

Stiff
    2011 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Default Install update

I was finally able to get all this stuff installed over the last week or so. Sadly, rain keeps me indoors this weekend or we would be out for a test run! I have to say that even though there are many pieces and parts that needed removed/replaced, I found that this installation was pretty straight forward and I would not hesitate to do it again. The addition of the luggage rack really helped stabilize the opening and closing of the top case lid. I would recommend anyone noticing that bit of flimsiness would be advised to install the luggage rack, even if you don't plan on using it much. I did not re-install the antenna on the side case panels since I never use the radio and also because I used the Lamonster method of removing the old antenna, which was very effective!

The Spyderpops kit to extend the top case back made this installation perfect in terms of passenger comfort, at least from our test sitting in the garage today. This kit is high quality and really a simple install. This just about completes my upgrades to make this F3T my own. Now I look forward to a real world test in the near future.

Thanks to everyone who provided their input on this. This is a great community of folks who provide real information and opinions, both good and bad, on their experiences. I've attached a few photos for your review.

Ed
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default you did a nice job on that

Quote Originally Posted by edbremer View Post
    I was finally able to get all this stuff installed over the last week or so. Sadly, rain keeps me indoors this weekend or we would be out for a test run! I have to say that even though there are many pieces and parts that needed removed/replaced, I found that this installation was pretty straight forward and I would not hesitate to do it again. The addition of the luggage rack really helped stabilize the opening and closing of the top case lid. I would recommend anyone noticing that bit of flimsiness would be advised to install the luggage rack, even if you don't plan on using it much. I did not re-install the antenna on the side case panels since I never use the radio and also because I used the Lamonster method of removing the old antenna, which was very effective!

The Spyderpops kit to extend the top case back made this installation perfect in terms of passenger comfort, at least from our test sitting in the garage today. This kit is high quality and really a simple install. This just about completes my upgrades to make this F3T my own. Now I look forward to a real world test in the near future.

Thanks to everyone who provided their input on this. This is a great community of folks who provide real information and opinions, both good and bad, on their experiences. I've attached a few photos for your review.

Ed

Spyder Garage

Where's the luggage rack from?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowkast View Post
    Where's the luggage rack from?
    I ordered it online from Can Am.

Spyder Garage

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. I am about to buy a 2016 F3 Limited. any suggestions on where I can get an OEM top case with the speakers and amp included?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
    Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. I am about to buy a 2016 F3 Limited. any suggestions on where I can get an OEM top case with the speakers and amp included?
    Any dealer can order you one - all the parts are around $2k I think. I quoted it for mine when they first came out but opted to pass and purchased a luggage rack and cheaper top case for my needs.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
    I got mine from eBay, a little cheaper than dealer price. Mine did not include the amp (and I didn't want it anyway) but the speakers came with the top case.

Be aware that the top case, the top case side panels and the amp are three separate items.
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black

Spyder Garage

I bought this rack through Lamonster. Well made, nicely finished and looks like it belongs there.
    https://www.ebay.com/i/183653515007?chn=ps
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

What was the final cost of everything?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yebogogo64 View Post
    What was the final cost of everything?
    I ordered my top case, The side panels and the amp back in April 2017 from the local dealer for $1700.00 cash out the door that included MN sales tax.
    T.P.

Spyder Garage

Ok here was my choice on my f3. Bought a kurakyn case and installed brp arm rests for wife. Luggage rack carries bag when 2 riders when arrive at hotel carry in bag to room.
    I do like the looks of the top case but cost $$$ is crazy.

Spyder Garage

Gotta love the F3 Limited's top case, it holds a large pizza, flat!
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Love my BRP topcase and Spyder Pops seat extender. Hated the price until a coworker wanted to order a topcase for his Indian. Price for the Indian topcase and all of it's needed parts and "accessories" would have been over 4 grand! Don't forget you'll need the BRP amp for rear speakers.

Spyder Garage

And about those rear speakers, it would be real nice if the volume that came out of them was adjustable.
    Just an extra front/rear balance setting in the audio preferences would do the job. Not on my '16 F3L.
    Andrew
    Melbourne Australia
    2016 F3L Spyder

Now, wash your hands