Spyder Garage

Default Ohio License question

So I talked to can am and they said that if I took their riders education course that I could take my certificate of completion to my local bmv and obtain my endorsement. But when I clicked the link they Can Am sent me to sign up, it says it was a non-endorsement course. So what kind of license do I need specifically to ride a Spyder in Ohio? I checked the Ohio BMV website and they seem to have a 3wheel license (only good for riding three wheels) and a traditional two wheel motorcycle license (good for two or three wheels). So I have the following questions:

1) Do i for sure need a two or three wheel license in Ohio
    2) Other than the two wheel license being good for riding two or three wheeled vehicles, is there any difference?
    3) Are there any differences in how to obtain a three wheel license vs a two wheel license?

Thanks.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes, a Spyder is a motorcycle in Ohio and you need either a two wheel or three wheel endorsement to ride one. The written test that you take at the BMV to get your permit is the same for either endorsement. If you then take the skills test (riding test) on a two wheel machine, you get the two wheel endorsement, which is good for either two or three wheels. Take the test on your Spyder, and you get the three wheel endorsement - three wheeled machines only. As of 2016 a vehicle such as a Slingshot is no longer considered a motorcycle in Ohio.

If you want to and are able, a highly recommended way to do this is to take the Ohio motorcycle riders course. You need to have a valid permit and they supply everything else, including a two wheel motorcycle. Pass the skills test at the end of that course, and no further testing is required at the BMV. Just take the completion card to the BMV and they issue you your new license with the two wheel endorsement on it. At this time, you cannot use your Spyder for this course. Some folks like the flexibility of getting their two wheel endorsement up front, then they have it for whatever comes along in the future. The course also provides excellent education for safely riding in this environment no matter how many wheels you have.

http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/basic_rider.stm
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 08-21-2018 at 08:48 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Yes, a Spyder is a motorcycle in Ohio and you need either a two wheel or three wheel endorsement to ride one. The written test that you take at the BMV to get your permit is the same for either endorsement. If you then take the skills test (riding test) on a two wheel machine, you get the two wheel endorsement, which is good for either two or three wheels. Take the test on your Spyder, and you get the three wheel endorsement - three wheeled machines only. As of 2016 a vehicle such as a Slingshot is no longer considered a motorcycle in Ohio.

If you want to and are able, a highly recommended way to do this is to take the Ohio motorcycle riders course. You need to have a valid permit and they supply everything else, including a two wheel motorcycle. Pass the skills test at the end of that course, and no further testing is required at the BMV. Just take the completion card to the BMV and they issue you your new license with the two wheel endorsement on it. At this time, you cannot use your Spyder for this course. Some folks like the flexibility of getting their two wheel endorsement up front, then they have it for whatever comes along in the future. The course also provides excellent education for safely riding in this environment no matter how many wheels you have.

http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/basic_rider.stm
    Thank you for all the info.... that is what i was suspecting but could not find it stated so clearly anywhere. Once I have a license/endorsement will dealerships let me test ride?

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by delkhouri View Post
    Thank you for all the info.... that is what i was suspecting but could not find it stated so clearly anywhere. Once I have a license/endorsement will dealerships let me test ride?
    Johnny K’s does. You can even schedule a test ride on their web page and specify which unit you want to test ride. Check with your local guy and see how they work things.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like Ohio is similar to Illinois regarding license requirements. I took the motorcycle safety course for two wheelers and highly recommend it to anyone wanting to get a license for a Spyder. As said, it will allow you to ride any motorcycle and you will learn a LOT of info on riding safety, relevant to both two and three wheelers.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

I bet the boys at Honda Can Am of Jackson will set you up with a test ride as well. I would call and ask.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

I also encourage the Ohio Motorcycle Safety Course. Invaluable IMHO. It's much more than just learning the skills to ride on 2 wheels.
    Last time I checked it was still only $50 and a 2 or 3 day commitment for an entire life of safe riding.
    Our Scenic Life - Spyder Videos
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/OurScenicLife

Ask me about my Spyder.
    2014 Black Can-Am Spyder RT