Spyder Garage

Default Texas tolltag no longer required

Just got off the phone with the NTTA to transfer my toll tag from my ST to the F3 and was told to remove the toll tag. Motorcycles and 3 wheelers are now read by license plates only. This is probably true for other areas as well.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Wonder if that's the same for the toll road around Austin?
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    It should be for all toll roads now but check . I have a toll tag that I took off my ST and had it in the frunk of the new F3 and still got a Zip cash bill from the last time I got on the toll road. The rep told me that all Motorcycles now use the licence plate. To take off the toll tag. That explains why I got a Zip Cash bill. The F3 was not registered to my account.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

That should also fix the problems with trailoring your spyder, and getting charged for every tolltag that passes the readers.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

So how do us damn Yankees use the system? We're passing through the Great State of Texas, planning our Border to Border ride starting up in Canada, ending in NL, then back to Rockport for a mission trip, planning on Twisted Sisters as our reward when heading back to MN.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    So how do us damn Yankees use the system? We're passing through the Great State of Texas, planning our Border to Border ride starting up in Canada, ending in NL, then back to Rockport for a mission trip, planning on Twisted Sisters as our reward when heading back to MN.
    Most likely you’ll ride free. Oakies get billed, not sure of any other agreements with non-Texans

Spyder Garage

We charge double for damn Yankees. LOL Not really but people that do not have a toll account just get the bill mailed to them using the Zipcash system. Some systems are linked and the tags work in different locations like if I were to go to Spyderfest, the System used to use my Texas toll tag. Im not sure how this will affect it but assume it will be the same.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Must be brand new

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    Just got off the phone with the NTTA to transfer my toll tag from my ST to the F3 and was told to remove the toll tag. Motorcycles and 3 wheelers are now read by license plates only. This is probably true for other areas as well.
    None of the tollway authority websites that I checked (NTTA, TxTag, HCTRA) are reporting any different directives/guidance on toll tags for motorcycles, at least not yet.

I'm not sure I like the idea of eliminating the two-factor authentication aspect of this, however error-prone either end of it tends to be, but I don't have a horse in this race. I never use the toll roads here in Austin on my Spyder, and I'm usually able to use the HOV lanes on I-10 in Houston for free if I time it correctly -- and don't need them if I don't!
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Sure glad I live in an area that has Freeways. Sounds too complicated for my tiny mind. Maybe if they removed the bureaucracy that deals with the tolls then you could ride/drive like we do on freeways.....?
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    Yes, it is. I just used that tollway in July, in my cage, no toll tag, and got the bill yesterday. Almost TWENTY BUCKS each way! (From Oklahoma City to Joplin MO is only NINE bucks, for comparison.)
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Back when I still had Missouri plates, I hit some tollways around Ft. Worth and never did get a bill. That was around 8-10 years ago.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default For Out-of-Staters

This is from www.ntta.org:

ZipCash offers a pay-by-mail option at higher rates for customers who do not have a TollTag. TollTag customers receive the lowest toll rates on NTTA roads; ZipCash customers pay at least 50 percent more than TollTag users.

And:

My vehicle is registered in another state. Can I open a TollTag account with an out-of-state license plate? Or, can I add one to an existing TollTag account?
    Yes. TollTag accounts are available to both in- and out-of-state customers. You can open a TollTag account or add a vehicle to an existing account via our online Customer Service Center, at a Regional TollTag Partner location, or by calling us at 972-818-6882 or 817-731-6882.

Enjoy your ride thru Texas!

Spyder Garage

Default Toll Tag

This is what I got when I called them.

I registered my Spyder with my existing account. They will mail me a Toll Tag. I asked where I was supposed to put it they stated it does not matter because NTTA reads license plates and then bills the toll tag it is registered to. If you don't have a Toll Tag account then they bill you - at a higher rate. No need to place the Toll Tag on the bike unless you travel out of area and hit tolls.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Last year coming home from the BRP Homecoming event I went through a toll booth in MA. They read my license plate. A few weeks later I got a bill in the mail for something like $1.50. Since there was no surcharge to use a CC I paid it with my CC. Between the postage to send me the bill and the CC processing fee they probably would have been just as well off to not bother!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default beware NTTA

I got a notice from the NTTA a few years ago telling me I owed a fee that went on to say the fee was past due and they had submitted my license plate number to authorities for collection or something along those lines. I looked at the date I was supposed to have been on one of the toll roads. Turns out my wife and I were in Lake City, Colorado on that date. I wrote them a letter via their electronic contact mechanism to explain that. Not only did I not get a response, a few weeks later I got another notice of another violation. and additional fees that were due for non-payment of other violations. To shorten an otherwise very long story, the picture they have that they send you (of your license plate) is less than a quarter inch in size and completely illegible. After this second notice another came in with more threats and my fees & fines were approaching $600. I wrote yet another letter and got no response as I knew I had never had the particular bike in question within 200 miles of any of the roads managed by NTTA. I also called the toll free number on their notifications but was on hold for over 20 minutes and hung up. Finally a collection agency in Chicago contacted me with yet still another threating letter if I did not pay my fees and fines. When I opened that letter, my blood boiled. After calming myself a bit, I called their toll free number and got a live agent on the first try with no waiting; I was totally amazed. I explained to that person the situation and asked them to read me the plate number they had been tracking as mine. Turns out the NTTA computer system had read the K on the plate of another bike as an X making it match my number. The person in Chicago apologized and I have not heard from them since.

I shared all of that to make the point; just because they send you a notice of fees owed, don't take them at their word. They make huge mistakes relying on the computerized system and are very difficult to contact to get things corrected.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    I got a notice from the NTTA a few years ago telling me I owed a fee that went on to say the fee was past due and they had submitted my license plate number to authorities for collection or something along those lines. I looked at the date I was supposed to have been on one of the toll roads. Turns out my wife and I were in Lake City, Colorado on that date. I wrote them a letter via their electronic contact mechanism to explain that. Not only did I not get a response, a few weeks later I got another notice of another violation. and additional fees that were due for non-payment of other violations. To shorten an otherwise very long story, the picture they have that they send you (of your license plate) is less than a quarter inch in size and completely illegible. After this second notice another came in with more threats and my fees & fines were approaching $600. I wrote yet another letter and got no response as I knew I had never had the particular bike in question within 200 miles of any of the roads managed by NTTA. I also called the toll free number on their notifications but was on hold for over 20 minutes and hung up. Finally a collection agency in Chicago contacted me with yet still another threating letter if I did not pay my fees and fines. When I opened that letter, my blood boiled. After calming myself a bit, I called their toll free number and got a live agent on the first try with no waiting; I was totally amazed. I explained to that person the situation and asked them to read me the plate number they had been tracking as mine. Turns out the NTTA computer system had read the K on the plate of another bike as an X making it match my number. The person in Chicago apologized and I have not heard from them since.

I shared all of that to make the point; just because they send you a notice of fees owed, don't take them at their word. They make huge mistakes relying on the computerized system and are very difficult to contact to get things corrected.
    I had something similar happen to me about 7 or 8 years ago. They were reading a bike in Austin as mine. I got it straightened out. This past Zipcash bill had a pic of me on my Spyder but it was very low rez. They do have a high rez version. That time 7 0r 8 years ago they emailed me the high rez version and You can easily read the lisence plate on the bug crawling across your windshield.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Sure glad I live in an area that has Freeways. Sounds too complicated for my tiny mind. Maybe if they removed the bureaucracy that deals with the tolls then you could ride/drive like we do on freeways.....?
    We also have Freeways but The new ones are all tollways. They are even making HOV lanes Toll lanes I guess because not too many people use them.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I know there are are horror stories out there, but the only time I have had a problem with NTTA it was my own fault. The one and only time my tag failed to read and it used the plate instead, it read the plate correctly, but when I had transferred my tag online from one vehicle to the new one 2 years prior to this I had entered the plate number wrong, for for 2 years the tag and never failed to read. I fixed the problem paid the bill and as far as I know it's still working. I guess I just lucky. BTW I keeping my tag on my Spyder.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2Paw View Post
    I know there are are horror stories out there, but the only time I have had a problem with NTTA it was my own fault. The one and only time my tag failed to read and it used the plate instead, it read the plate correctly, but when I had transferred my tag online from one vehicle to the new one 2 years prior to this I had entered the plate number wrong, for for 2 years the tag and never failed to read. I fixed the problem paid the bill and as far as I know it's still working. I guess I just lucky. BTW I keeping my tag on my Spyder.
    They did not give me the option. They just said to remove the tag that was on my ST and they will from now on just use the plate.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

They did not give me the option. They just said to remove the tag that was on my ST and they will from now on just use the plate.
    But do you still have an accout and get charged the lower rate?
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2Paw View Post
    But do you still have an accout and get charged the lower rate?
    Yes, The cameras now read license plates on all motorcycles and if you have an account and that motorcycle is on the account and updated then you get charged the discount rate. I have a car and a truck and you still need a toll tag on those but the licence plate is the backup system for those.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for sharing

Yes, The cameras now read license plates on all motorcycles and if you have an account and that motorcycle is on the account and updated then you get charged the discount rate. I have a car and a truck and you still need a toll tag on those but the licence plate is the backup system for those.
    I'll see if the TxTag folks are doing the same. Wouldn't mind having the option, but just don't want to deal with the "special" motorcycle tag, deposit, etc. that they state is required (still).
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue