Spyder Garage

Default Point me in right direction

Well, I searched but didn't really find the answer I need. I live in one of those states that requires police check on out of state purchases. I've found the vin number but need a little help with the engine number. I know the general location - on the engine, near the exhaust. Can someone give me direction on exactly where and what do I have to remove to access it? It's a 2012 RT SE5.

Thanks a bunch!
    John

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi, it usually isn’t easy to find. The Owners Manual will show the location- or at least point you in the general vicinity. You will need a bright light to see it
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Engine Number ?

Quote Originally Posted by Soulman327 View Post
    Well, I searched but didn't really find the answer I need. I live in one of those states that requires police check on out of state purchases. I've found the vin number but need a little help with the engine number. I know the general location - on the engine, near the exhaust. Can someone give me direction on exactly where and what do I have to remove to access it? It's a 2012 RT SE5.

Thanks a bunch!
    John
    I too live in IN - and purchased mine out of state. I don't recall them looking at the engine at all - but they did look for the VIN stamped on the bike.

Do you mean what size engine you have? 998 cc

Google is always your friend - look up engine size for 212 RT SE5. https://www.google.com/search?q=engi...hrome&ie=UTF-8

You will come up with something like this: http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycle...E5-998cc/Specs
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I am a resident of Indiana also, and the official state form requires the VIN only and they will either verify that at the license branch or you can have the local police do it for you. I had it done when I purchased by Spyder from Imotorsports and when I purchased a trailer from out of state. Engine number is not required.

Edit: I just looked at the form on the BMV website. The only time they need engine info is on watercraft or vehicles you build yourself.
    Last edited by Boilermaker; 08-19-2018 at 07:08 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
    I am a resident of Indiana also, and the official state form requires the VIN only and they will either verify that at the license branch or you can have the local police do it for you. I had it done when I purchased by Spyder from Imotorsports and when I purchased a trailer from out of state. Engine number is not required.

Edit: I just looked at the form on the BMV website. The only time they need engine info is on watercraft or vehicles you build yourself.
    Well, Boilermaker and al0vely, I appreciate your help. I am working and living temporarily in Illinois where I bought this and I only get home about every 3 weeks. I've been to the BMV once already and am just trying to make sure I have everything to avoid another wasted trip there. I just want to stay one step ahead of them. If they don't need the EIN number then it's all good. I have that form of which you speak and I see where it mentions watercraft or assembled vehicles. I didn't read it as meaning something I built. I think I'll call them and ask exactly what they need.

Also, al0vely, I know the engine size, I meant engine ID number. Sorry I wasn't clear on that.

Again, the members here come through!

John

Spyder Garage

To get to your engine ID number refer to pg 160 and 122 of your operator's guide. Pg 160 shows where the engine ID number is located on the engine. Pg 122 shows the panels you may have to remove; I am not certain. I think you will have to remove Left #1, 2 and 3 . Your engine may be a bit greasy and you may have to scrub off some to reveal the number.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Great location,....

Think I have a picture..hang on....

20180517_162229.jpg it is between the swingarm and the rear engine mount on the left side...at least on the V-twins don't know about the triple...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It looks like the consensus is that you won't need the engine number at all.

I have that form of which you speak and I see where it mentions watercraft or assembled vehicles. I didn't read it as meaning something I built. I think I'll call them and ask exactly what they need.
    The "watercraft" requirement is obviously intended for Outboard Motors, which can be swapped willy-nilly among boats that probably have no other specific identification number at all.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl