Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default tire pressure testing

Quote Originally Posted by fjray View Post
    I don't see why the data isn't applicable. We are talking a car tire on a car wheel operating on the same roads . The Spyder suspension is more automotive than motorcycle. It possible to have the same load on the rear wheel of a Spyder as one corner of a 3600 pound car . The cornering force should be the same as the car given the same load per tire so it would seem the pressure should be at appropriate levels. Please explain why not using verifiable data.
    GREAT point - so maybe you could pump those tires up the MAX and then go out on a rainy day and do some performance testing ....................... then after you are released from the hospital you can post what happened....... Mike

Spyder Garage

You're right it is a great point. Nobody has said to run max pressure but rather an appropriate pressure for the load. By saying I would end up getting hurt testing high pressures shows perhaps you're not quite the expert you would have us believe.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Todd that is all accurate info ..........The problem is you CAN'T apply it to Spyders using auto tires...... because all their Data comes from car and pick-up trucks using the AUTO type tires on cars and pk-ups ........You appear to a fantastic ability to find obscure data ...... So find some that proves HIGH INFLATION provides more Traction !!!!!!! ( you will be searching for that info for the rest of your life ) ......Mike
    It's NOT obscure data.

OMG... how many times do I have to say this: There is NO science for car tires on motorcycles.

Butt, because you've won a sanctioned drag race and took a class about accident investigation we can ONLY believe your opinion? Sorry to say but it is only opinion, not science.

So a perfect switcheroo on your part BECAUSE you have no data, you challenge me to find increased pressure data about CAR tires on motorcycles now? Now THAT is the most ironic thing I think you have now said.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fjray View Post
    You're right it is a great point. Nobody has said to run max pressure but rather an appropriate pressure for the load. By saying I would end up getting hurt testing high pressures shows perhaps you're not quite the expert you would have us believe.
    Yes, exactly.

However, I respect their opinion, like anyone else here, but despise this internet group think when they know they have no science with all of this.

They can just say: these car tires can withstand lower pressures because they aren't carrying the load as a typical car.

Seems reasonable enough, and I rode like this for thousands of miles. But only when I increased my pressures and dialed in my suspension, did I find out that the Spyder was so much more than it was. "Twitchy" issues had more to do with symmetry and balance, and technique. Lowered pressures just masked it for me.

You see, there is also NO science for what they claim about lower pressures! They just proclaim it. For instance:

The design of a tire is made to have SOME air pressure so that the belts, bead, side wall, rubber compound, and tread support the vehicle and have traction. Plus! It is in MOTION. It rotates, accelerates, decelerates, TURNS, stops, and starts.... Lots of physics just with those actions. How does ANYONE know that low pressures in tires do not affect any one, or all, of those things in a negative way?? The ONLY thing they have, and higher pressure users have for that matter, is: "well, I've put xx,xxx miles on it and no problem. Tread wear is great.

That is anecdotal evidence. That is not science.

What about heat generation with "increased traction" of lower pressure tires? Well, I would hypothesize that more surface area to the ground =
    more friction =
    more heat =
    more pressure increase inside the lumen of the tires.
    Therefore a larger range, or delta, of possible tire pressure in various conditions: road condition, weather, heat index, time, speed, etc.,etc.

Could the change in tire pressure be an issue for some? Maybe it isn't an issue at all? But if you scream loud enough, proclaim butt science, and abuse emojis it becomes science.

The group think is this: lower pressure means safety. But, you don't know. Just speculation. And, even if you're right you don't know what the RANGE of safety is with PSI is with car tires on Spyders. So, we ONLY have anecdotal evidence on a web forum. So, I'll add to it:

I have Yokohamas x 3 and have 10,000 miles on them. Run 26psi up front and 28psi in the back. I love the way it handles and have not had one problem riding through windy rainy roads or 99+mph on highways.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This is a subject I've actually had schooling / training in ..... forget 24 or 22 psi ..... 17 to 18 psi is all that or any car tire needs to perform at it's best ........ I've said this a few DOZEN times on this Forum ...somehow you missed it ... Mike

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...the (front) Kenda's can give decent mileage ( 22 to 28,000 avg. ), because each tire only supports half of what is on the rear tire ( approx. ) they wear ok. When they wear out and get replaced with an Auto tire the performance and mileage increase by quite a bit ( 35 to 45,000 avg. ).....Mike
    I'm too lazy to provide pictures, but my front Kendas still have at least 25% tread remaining at over 58,000 miles!

They are not the best, I know, but seem adequate for my situation. All the roads here are boringly straight and level, no "twisties" whatsoever, so I guess that's why they've held up so long. I wouldn't recommend anyone else run them that long, but thought I'd share this unusual performance.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

The proof is in the pudding...............................

It has been proven since 2008 by nearly all owners that lower tire pressures are better for the Spyder and the riders comfort zone. Mike is 100% correct on this topic.

Insert emoji abuse here...………….
    Last edited by Holly; 08-30-2018 at 08:00 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    The proof is in the pudding.... It has been proven since 2008 by nearly all owners that lower tire pressures are better for the Spyder and the riders comfort zone. Mike is 100% correct on this topic.
    Sorry, but you are confusing 'proof' with group-think. As usual.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Sorry, but you are confusing 'proof' with group-think. As usual.

This isn't about group think...…………………. It was about testing and reporting back on what works or how it made the rider feel. The general consensus is, riders reported that the spyder handled better with lower pressure and the rider felt more comfortable during operation. You would be hard pressed to find any posts where the rider said it made things worse. I would consider 10 years of owners testing and reporting back to be proof.

Are you going to apply your same "group think" principle for the Baja sway bar ?????? How about HID/LED headlights, Baker air wings or any other products that enhance the ride ???????

No, because they work !!!!!!
    Last edited by Holly; 08-30-2018 at 08:39 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This isn't about group think...…………………. It was about testing and reporting back on what works or how it made the rider feel. The general consensus is, riders reported that the spyder handled better with lower pressure and the rider felt more comfortable during operation. You would be hard pressed to find any posts where the rider said it made things worse. I would consider 10 years of owners testing and reporting back to be proof. Are you going to apply your same "group think" principle for the Baja sway bar ?????? How about HID/LED headlights, Baker air wings or any other products that enhance the ride ???????

No, because they work !!!!!!
    Consensus isn't 'proof'
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

TYou would be hard pressed to find any posts where the rider said it made things worse.
    Not hard at all.
    Here is one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hang on folks: the train wreck is about to happen... Again!

Groan.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default OUTSPOKEN HOT CHICK

Holly you realllllllllllllllllllllly nailed it on this one ( not unusual ) ........ Why Bob thought this wasn't an appropriate post ????? well you know how Bob posts ........... Whichever way the " LOUDEST " group think is going ....He's definitely on-board....... ............. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did anybody think to ask Easy Rider if he has tried anything other than an OEM Kenda tire?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Did anybody think to ask Easy Rider if he has tried anything other than an OEM Kenda tire?
    I've mentioned in the past that I probably WILL in the near future.
    And when I do, I certainly will try running them a few pounds lower than the recommendation for the thin and flimsy Kenda's.

BUT......that does not mean that it is appropriate to say that it is good to run lower pressures in ALL tires on the Spyders.......because that just isn't true.

(No I will not reply to any claims to the contrary.)

Spyder Garage

Default Not a tire for the Spyder but it is Science

First, as a newbie, I find this whole conversation funny as heck. Both sides convinced they are on the correct side.
    I will be the first to admit I have not done any testing nor have I been to any school, however, I have done a lot of related research.

My other 2 vehicles are a Ram 2500 and a Jeep Wrangler. This is mentioned because I run non standard tires on both and have had to determine the correct tire pressures to run. The federally mandated placard does not apply to my scenario.
    I assume (I know what that means) that the tire manufactures have the very elusive science everybody seems to be interested in.

The following links have been helpful in helping me to determine what tire pressures to run in the TOYO tires I run on the Ram and Jeep based on the loads I expect the tires to carry.

https://www.toyotires.com/tires-101/...flation-tables

This is a link to the rather long PDF showing different pressures for the same tires based on loads they expect the tire to carry.

https://www.toyotires.com/media/2125...s_20170203.pdf

I don't know how this fits into this discussion specifically except that many people have mentioned science and facts and I think this is about as close as an example we are going to find for determining proper pressures. As I said, these don't pertain to the tires in question. A person would have to find similar data from the manufacture for the tire they intend to use.

It would appear to me that without the correct load-inflation table for the specific tire you are planning on mounting AND an accurate weight/load for the tire/axle in question, you are just guessing on the correct pressure.

If I am totally off base here, chalk it up to being a newbie...
    Last edited by DaveZinAz; 08-30-2018 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Clarity/Grammer

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Consensus isn't 'proof'
    Seems to work with global warming
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    Basically, you are being influenced by well-intending people on this forum, HOWEVER it is ALSO the victim of internet "group-think." The very vocal emoji-abusing tactics on this site over this one particular topic has been relentless. There are many that have their tire pressures higher than 15-20psi. They just don't say it here because it is just a hassle.

I've had a LOT of people private message me and come up to me at the Deadwood event that said that they, too, run higher pressures but don't want to get into some squabble with aggressive posters. James Thorne who put my wheels together and has done other work on my bike and many others runs higher PSI's on his Spyders, too. He is a highly educated engineer that services, repairs, and upgrades Spyders as another gig for him. Probably the last guy I'd listen to about car tires on Spyders is the kid at Big-O.

So, just because you've read it here countless times doesn't mean it is totally the way everyone goes. But, I'm glad you feel like you can call it: The End. I seriously doubt it will be, though.
    I need to chime in, for the record. I also, am one who tried the soft VS. The Higher inflations, on both fronts and rears. On my 2012 RT, the original 13 psi BRP recommendation in the front Kendras were so squishy, it felt like I was rinning with flat tires on the corners. The 28 psi in the rear seemed OK, and I stuck with it, until I switched to Khumos, but I increased the fronts to 20 psi, raising and testing 2 psi increases until 20 psi FEELS the best for me, for handling, and cornering. As for lowering the rear below 20 psi, even riding one up, with the Khumo which I have used 5 of, again, the Spyder felt very sluggish, gas mileage decreased, and I ended up raising to 30 psi in the rear, and keeping it that way along with 20 psi in my fronts, and have continued the same with my 2016 RT. I think tire and Oil discussions are as subjctional as discussing Politics and Religion.
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Consensus isn't 'proof'
    I've got to admit that you're correct...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    Seems to work with global warming
    Consensus is not the same as overwhelming evidence either.

The human race is overall pretty stupid.
    I think we are doomed to die frozen in the dark........from events of our own making.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 007james View Post
    I need to chime in, for the record. I also, am one who tried the soft VS. The Higher inflations, on both fronts and rears. On my 2012 RT, the original 13 psi BRP recommendation in the front Kendras were so squishy, it felt like I was rinning with flat tires on the corners. The 28 psi in the rear seemed OK, and I stuck with it, until I switched to Khumos, but I increased the fronts to 20 psi, raising and testing 2 psi increases until 20 psi FEELS the best for me, for handling, and cornering. As for lowering the rear below 20 psi, even riding one up, with the Khumo which I have used 5 of, again, the Spyder felt very sluggish, gas mileage decreased, and I ended up raising to 30 psi in the rear, and keeping it that way along with 20 psi in my fronts, and have continued the same with my 2016 RT. I think tire and Oil discussions are as subjctional as discussing Politics and Religion.
    I look at your post as informative. You took the time to discover what you liked and didn't like. You took the time to discover what you think is good for you! Plus!! You took the time to give INPUT about it! Yes! That's how a productive forum works!

However, when I, and others, said similar things we get lambasted! Referred as "butt science!" You are not allowed to say "feel" here.

You see, I don't give a flip what others put their tires at. I really don't, but we are not allowed on this forum to say, " Hey... I did this, and that, and found that I liked my tires at ... psi." Nope! All because of the group think and insults that happens here. So, I'd caution you on reporting findings like you have done.

It wouldn't be much different than the number of people that have approached me on this forum, Facebook, and in person that have their tires at different pressures than the group think here.

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Default Sooooooooooooooooooo tired of this line of rehtoric

I look at your post as informative. You took the time to discover what you liked and didn't like. You took the time to discover what you think is good for you! Plus!! You took the time to give INPUT about it! Yes! That's how a productive forum works!

However, when I, and others, said similar things we get lambasted! Referred as "butt science!" You are not allowed to say "feel" here.

You see, I don't give a flip what others put their tires at. I really don't, but we are not allowed on this forum to say, " Hey... I did this, and that, and found that I liked my tires at ... psi." Nope! All because of the group think and insults that happens here. So, I'd caution you on reporting findings like you have done.

It wouldn't be much different than the number of people that have approached me on this forum, Facebook, and in person that have their tires at different pressures than the group think here.
    Give it a rest - What I find so interesting is how much YOU go on and on about diversity of opinions etc. and how you've been personally attacked for YOUR views ( this is a LIE ) YOU feel YOUR freedoms are being violated ...... But then YOU don't respect the rights of others here to have a differing view. YOU believe YOUR rights are the only ones that matter. Todd if you think others on this Forum don't/can't see You for the Hypocrite that YOU are ..... I TRUELY feel sorry for you. Sad so sad ........If EVERYONE can't have the SAME rights than NO one is going to have any rights...................Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-31-2018 at 09:10 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Altimax Rear; Continental Contipro Front

I run Altimax on the rear at 25 lbs and now have approx. 21,000 and the tread looks like new. I run Continental Contipros on the front at 20 lbs and now have approx. 21,000 and the tread looks like new. I should get at least another 21,000 on both the rear and fronts. (These tires were put on both my wife's 2015 RT LTD and my 2013 ST LTD at the same time by myself with pretty much the same mileage -- we do most riding together, as on two bikes). Ride safely everyone!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

AND......YOU constantly complaining about it just keeps the pot boiling......for no good purpose.

Has the forum administration given you any official warnings yet ?
    I suspect not.
    But if you keep it up, they might.

Chill, please.

(I do agree with most of what you are saying.......but one needs to know when to let go.)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    AND......YOU constantly complaining about it just keeps the pot boiling......for no good purpose.

Has the forum administration given you any official warnings yet ?
    I suspect not.
    But if you keep it up, they might.

Chill, please.

(I do agree with most of what you are saying.......but one needs to know when to let go.)
    I shouldn't complain when someone is personally attacking me? See the post above yours. On the thread that was just shut down, he literally compared his knowledge base as to what Einstein's level of knowledge was to the theory of relativity. So, we should just do what he says. That there is just too much knowledge that he's accumulated and that we weren't smart enough to even comprehend it. Seriously?

He challenged me with his "sanctioned drag race" big win months ago. I responded that I'd race him.

He asserts that claims of higher tire pressures are "butt science," (who talks like this??) yet he has no science to prove that lower pressures are better, nor does he even know what a safe RANGE of tire pressures are. Because there is no science for car tires on motorcycles.

Yet, he can rant and ridicule, but I'm not allowed to call him on it? I shouldn't say anything because the groupthink here is that low pressure is the best, and you will be ridiculed if you say otherwise for what your OWN personal experiences are? Is that the flavor here?

Do you also know that he made disparaging remarks on a Four Sale item that I had up? Lamont had to delete it. He even apologized to me that crap like that happens here, and something else that I will not say publicly. You ask that the forum administration has given me any official warning? Seriously? You think he should not be toned down, or "chilled out?"

2015 RT Limited , black