Spyder Garage

Default Type of oil used in 1330 engine

Hello to all,

I just got back from a 5300 mile trip from Ohio to Idaho. We went thru Yellowstone, over Bear tooth pass and thru some of the Rockies. No problems with my 2014 RT-S !!!!!

I have a question. My wife picked up an oil change kit from the local dealer for me. I was surprised to find it included only 5 quarts of oil. This is not enough to fill the Spyder to the completely full level. I realize there has been a lot of discussion about BRP changing the initial oil fill level, and then topping off after the oil reaches full temperature. The dealer told me that BRP only ships 5 quarts with their oil fill kits now. Apparently the techs are jumping up and down over this and saying BRP needs to add about a pint or so of extra oil to complete the oil change. According to what I am being told, I have to buy an extra quart of oil to finish topping off. Anyway, my question follows:
    The oil can shows 5 square boxes at the bottom of the can. In each of these boxes is a picture of BRP vehicles. The first box looks like a 4 wheeler, the 2nd box is a side by side, the 3rd is a jet ski, the 4th looks like a Spyder, and the 5th looks like a snow mobile. The 5th box is what I'm concerned about. All the boxes are colored red except the 5th one-- which is colored white. Are they saying this is snow mobile oil ??? I do not want to put the wrong oil in my Spyder. Also, the oil cans are shaped differently than any of the other oil change kits I have purchased. The other thing that bothers me a bit is the oil filter is not sealed in plastic like all the other kits I have bought. It's just loose in the box with the oil. It is Sunday so I can't call the dealer today, but I wonder if any of you have had a similar experience. As always---Thanks---Dan

Spyder Garage

interesting? Are you sure the oil change kit box stated for the SE6 engine?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil fill

It's ....5 qts..... I've changed my own oil in the 1330 about 7 times now ...and it's 5 qts. ......it might actually be a little less depending on if yours was/is completely drained ..... and make sure the kit is for an se-6 because there's a different filter for the V-twin ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Depends...

I did check the Amsoil capasity chart and it shows 5.6 qts but as mike said it will depend on how much you drain out. I like to have the oil warmed up before draining and the unit on level ground. The type and capasity should be in the manual and kits should be for your model so as to get the right filter and orings crush washers etc....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well you wouldn't THINK that the oil capacity would be different across models or years on what is essentially the same engine.....but it must be.
    The manual for my '17 RT-L says 4.5 quarts and blindly dumping in all 5 quarts definitely makes it OVER filled.

Edit: Turns out that is wrong.....it does say 5 quarts. The lower requirement is for the Manual transmission and it is 4.7 quarts.
    So.....I don't know how/why mine turned out to be over-filled on the first service. Maybe they didn't let it drain long enough.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 08-19-2018 at 10:42 AM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all !!

To "Centurion"----yes the box does say it is for 1330 engine and it is 5w-40. The box is kinda beat up a bit. Makes me suspect that I am not the first to open it, and I wondered if someone bought the wrong kit for their bike and had to return it. Also, the filter is not sealed in plastic like the other kits I bought. I thought this was odd. Did any of you guys (or Gals) buy a kit where the filter was not sealed in plastic?
    All the o rings look correct and they are sealed in plastic. I think I will take it back to the store and go to the service techs and ask them directly----"is this the correct oil"? Maybe they can shed some light on the condition of the box etc. I certainly do not believe anyone would give the the wrong oil on purpose, but if they put this kit together with their own supplies at their store, mistakes can be made. On a brighter note !! My trip was great and I have a little more faith in the Spyder platform. It did not use any oil that I could tell. I had my wife on the back and I was pulling a trailer the whole way. I used high octane fuel when I could get it, but it seemed to run fine with the 87 with alcohol as well. I think we went thru about 10 states, some of which I had never been in before. Here in Ohio we do not have that "big sky" you guys out west have. As the band says "You can see for miles and miles and miles". Really beautiful country, and we met some very nice people along the way.
    Best Regards---Dan. Thanks again for all your input