Thread: Alignment

Spyder Garage

Default Alignment

So, anyway, I have been wondering for a good while over whether or not my Spyder was truly laser aligned as my dealer said it was last year. After getting over the usual highly sensitive steering issues that occur, I had them check it about 2 months later after purchase. They told me it was "just a little off" but within specs.

A few K (8000K) later, both Kendas had scuffed their inside treads quite noticeably and were beginning to shake the front end. Switched to car tires shortly after that.

But, in the back of my mind, something still did not feel "right". The bike always had this tendency to very slightly drift to the right when letting go on the handlebars. The bars themselves would only move a very small amount, which was hardly noticeable unless you were staring directly at them. I attributed most of this effect due to the right hand crown of the road, however, testing showed that even on very flat surfaces or left hand crowned roads, the right hand "drift" was still there. And the inside of the left front tire only was beginning to show minor scuffing.
    Today I rigged up a homemade laser "alignment" device and found the following; rear measurement at 61-7/8 inches, front wheels at 61 inches, and approx 4 feet in front, 60-1/4 inches. Surprisingly, the right wheel was had more toe in than the left wheel did as measured from the rear center line.
    So, I loosened everything up and set the toe in to about an 1/8 on each front wheel. I will give it a highway test in a day or so.

Can't wait til a dependable source of a correct laser alignment becomes available because sure isn't from my dealer.
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ALIGNMENT

Scuffing on the inside edge of the tire is clear signal that A. it wasn't Aligned or B. whoever did it , didn't know how to do it ............ Mike

Spyder Garage

FYI; I can let go of the handlebars and the bike will go straight providing the road is reasonably level. Before alignment, I was fighting to keep a straight course......more than I realized. After Joe Squared Away my bike, he told me I should be able to ride just using my fingertips. He was right. Makes a world of difference. Good luck
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Scuffing on the inside edge of the tire is clear signal that A. it wasn't Aligned or B. whoever did it , didn't know how to do it ............ Mike
    More than likely both A and B by their past record on service on my bike..........
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    FYI; I can let go of the handlebars and the bike will go straight providing the road is reasonably level. Before alignment, I was fighting to keep a straight course......more than I realized. After Joe Squared Away my bike, he told me I should be able to ride just using my fingertips. He was right. Makes a world of difference. Good luck
    Agree Canamjhb!! Arnie - Ann and Joe at Squared Away are amazing. My bike rides so much better. I would highly recommend if you are going to a rally or if they will be in your area you check them out! Super nice and super fantastic service!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARNIE R View Post
    They told me it was "just a little off" but within specs.
    If they were quoting BRP "specs", then that's not good enough.

The recommendation of the laser alignment maker and a LOT of shops with experience indicate that the best setting is outside of BRP's specs.

It's covered here in several threads.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Proper alignment really works!!!

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Same here!!

Just got back from Topaz Lake and rydes to Mammoth Mt., June lake loop. I could easily drive with a couple of fingers holding the bars straight. No "squarrlyness" in the many curves.

Thanks again to Joe and Anne of Squared Away.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Alidavis05 View Post
    Agree Canamjhb!! Arnie - Ann and Joe at Squared Away are amazing. My bike rides so much better. I would highly recommend if you are going to a rally or if they will be in your area you check them out! Super nice and super fantastic service!
    They are going to be in SC pretty soon. If you can make it over there have them do your bike. Look for the thread "Squared Away to SC" and that will tell you where and when.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Laser alignment

I’m hoping to get Laser Alignment soon, I have a few questions to anyone who’s had that performed.
    1) How long does it take them to complete the alignment (approximately)?
    2) How long does Laser Alignment last, do u have to do it every time u get new tires/annually?
    3) What does it usually cost, ballpark?

I know everyone who’s had it done was glad they did, and noticed major improvement. My problem is the closest shop is about 3-4hr drive (I’m not retired...yet). I’m also considering the sway bar that everyone upgrades, I was hoping to get both done during same appointment.
    Thank you.
    Jarred.

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred View Post
    I’m hoping to get Laser Alignment soon, I have a few questions to anyone who’s had that performed.
    1) How long does it take them to complete the alignment (approximately)? About an hour
    2) How long does Laser Alignment last, do u have to do it every time u get new tires/annually? Until you knock it out. My 1st one lasted a year until I hit a dog
    3) What does it usually cost, ballpark? about $125 and worth every penny

I know everyone who’s had it done was glad they did, and noticed major improvement. My problem is the closest shop is about 3-4hr drive (I’m not retired...yet). I’m also considering the sway bar that everyone upgrades, I was hoping to get both done during same appointment.
    Thank you.
    Jarred.
    [COLOR=#ff0000] I typed this and I don't know what it says so I erased it.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 08-21-2018 at 10:27 AM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    They probably can't do it either. Tho there are getting to be more most shops can't do this.
    Can't do what exactly ? And why ??
    Are you talking about the sway bar ??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Can't do what exactly ? And why ??
    Are you talking about the sway bar ??
    As a guess, can not accomplish an accurate alignment on a Spyder in an hour for $125.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    As a guess, can not accomplish an accurate alignment on a Spyder in an hour for $125.
    There is only ONE adjustment.
    It is my understanding that if the equipment is already set up, it would take about 15 minutes.
    And $125 seems to be in the ballpark of what is usually charged.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    There is only ONE adjustment.
    It is my understanding that if the equipment is already set up, it would take about 15 minutes.
    And $125 seems to be in the ballpark of what is usually charged.
    Yes and no. Truely two adjustments left and right tie rods may need adjustment to set toe. Plus a BUDS reset for the steering once the alignment is set.

Agree that a qualified person familiar with the task should have it done well in short time. Not sure that 15 minutes would accomplish start to finish when you factor in moving the bike into place and paperwork, but maybe.

Not sure how many shops leave everything set up, but maybe they do. This alignment setup is very portable and easily stored, unlike a car alignment setup, but who knows, not I.

Spyder Garage

Default Netzley

Netzley Tire will be at SpyderQuest. I contacted them. They can do my laser and sway bar the day I get there (Thursday) so I’ll be good to go for the group rides. Can’t wait. Thanks to everyone who helped me understand this procedure/product.

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne

Spyder Garage

Default Re alignment

G
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Well I think you guessed wrong the inventor of the Rolo Laser Aligment system used to align the Can Am Spyder says it should take an hour or less and people who aligned my Spyder Squared Away did just that a great job

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RudyB View Post
    G
    Well I think you guessed wrong the inventor of the Rolo Laser Aligment system used to align the Can Am Spyder says it should take an hour or less and people who aligned my Spyder Squared Away did just that a great job
    Pretty certain that the reply is correct in regards to the post it was referencing.

If you read the next few posts after that one, I did state an experienced person could do it quickly.

Takes me about 10 minutes if I hurry, to align a Spyder with my setup. So it certainly is an easy task and can be quickly accomplished.