Spyder Garage

Default Brake Pedal Issue

2016 Limited RT. Purchased new Aug 2017. About 3000 miles ago, I started having problem setting Cruise Control (threw a code). Took into shop - Service Mgr. said code indicated a faulty switch. Part was replaced and I was sent on my way. After a few miles I was unable to set Cruise Control again. Took RT back to dealership (they had it a full week) switch replaced and system bled again. Picked it up and within 20 miles same problem. Through course of time, I found that I needed to lift pedal with shoe then it would set. This happens nearly every time I apply the brake. Only thing Svc Mgr says is that it shouldn't be doing that. "it was working when I test drove it" and will check with BRP again.
    Anyone have a solution - apparently BRP/dealership doesn't. Thanks!!!
    2016 RT Limited, Garmin Zumo 660 GPS, Comfort Seat, Wizard LED Accent Lights; Ultimate Trailer;(had) 2012 Spyder RT, Seal Floorboards, 2006 Kawasaki Voyager XII, 1989 Yamaha 850 Special, Sena SMH10 Dual Headsets, ZOX Modular Helmet; Guardian Angel on my shoulder!

Spyder Garage

Your intermittent problem is the brake lever is not always fully returning to the up position.
    Could be sticking.

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Aracnid View Post
    2016 Limited RT. Purchased new Aug 2017. About 3000 miles ago, I started having problem setting Cruise Control (threw a code). Took into shop - Service Mgr. said code indicated a faulty switch. Part was replaced and I was sent on my way. After a few miles I was unable to set Cruise Control again. Took RT back to dealership (they had it a full week) switch replaced and system bled again. Picked it up and within 20 miles same problem. Through course of time, I found that I needed to lift pedal with shoe then it would set. This happens nearly every time I apply the brake. Only thing Svc Mgr says is that it shouldn't be doing that. "it was working when I test drove it" and will check with BRP again.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Alternative #1, go back to the dealership and ask them to open a case with BRP on the issue.

Alternative #2, send your complete description above to BRP.care@brp.com with your dealer name and ask BRP Care to open a case for you.

Take your choice.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default issue

A better dealer .............Mike .......... some folks have added a spring or just a stronger one ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

a second spring is an easy mod...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see...

If the switch were the case you would have a brake failure problem. Bleeding the system was a waste but good try. Not familiar with the cruise system and don't know if it operates off the same switch or if there is a secondary switch. Agree that new eyes on the problem could help but they need to peel off all the surrounding parts and see the pedals full travel and if something is causing it to drag or stop short. Should not be hard to find as it is confined to that specific area....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Through course of time, I found that I needed to lift pedal with shoe then it would set.

Only thing Svc Mgr says is that it shouldn't be doing that. "it was working when I test drove it" and will check with BRP again.

IF.....you told them that and they STILL need guidance from BRP......you REALLY need to find a different dealer. REALLY.

Any modifications to the brakes......like a different pedal or an added "front brake lever" ?

If you have done neither of those things, then either the linkage is sticking somewhere or the return spring is stretched......or maybe missing even.

An untrained 5 year old should be able to figure this one out.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

the rod on the brake pedal assy is adjustable and is prob to long to allow the mechanism to return to the proper height to deactivate the switch. all the plastic on the right side needs to come off to get to it. on my 2012 rt there is only one switch that the foot pedal activates and it would have to be tied into the cruise system. I had it all apart when I was adding a handbrake setup, which I have since removed.

Spyder Garage

Default Many Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Alternative #1, go back to the dealership and ask them to open a case with BRP on the issue.

Alternative #2, send your complete description above to BRP.care@brp.com with your dealer name and ask BRP Care to open a case for you.

Take your choice.
    Reluctantly/hopefully/desperately, I took you advice and emailed BRP care Saturday Afternoon. Just a few hours later I received a reply wanting additional information so case could be started and ESCALATED. Many, many kudos. Will keep you informed!
    2016 RT Limited, Garmin Zumo 660 GPS, Comfort Seat, Wizard LED Accent Lights; Ultimate Trailer;(had) 2012 Spyder RT, Seal Floorboards, 2006 Kawasaki Voyager XII, 1989 Yamaha 850 Special, Sena SMH10 Dual Headsets, ZOX Modular Helmet; Guardian Angel on my shoulder!

Spyder Garage

what dealer did you get the Spyder from and is it the same dealer that can't get the problem fixed???
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Default Dealer

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    what dealer did you get the Spyder from and is it the same dealer that can't get the problem fixed???
    BIG F
    Motoplex of Norfolk (NE)

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post

Take your choice.
    Followed your suggestion. Brake issue seems to be resolved. Pleasure to ride again!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Followed your suggestion. Brake issue seems to be resolved. Pleasure to ride again!!!
    Do you happen to know what the final resolution was?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Repaired

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Do you happen to know what the final resolution was?
    Svg mgr. said he replaced something in the pedal assembly and shaved some rod??? down so pedal wouldn't be so sensitive. Waiting for paper work to get exact part name and work done. Whatever they did was worth the wait (rained most of that week anyway!!! )

Spyder Garage

Default Solution

I made a video about this a year or so ago because mine was doing the same thing. Its a $2.00 fix. This also allows you to put on a larger/heavier brake pedal.

Last edited by nslowmotion; 09-06-2018 at 05:58 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nslowmotion View Post
    I made a video about this a year or so ago because mine was doing the same thing. Its a $2.00 fix. This also allows you to put on a larger/heavier brake pedal.

Great info and video!

Spyder Garage

Default Dang ....

Quote Originally Posted by nslowmotion View Post

... would have save me a lot of time and frustration. Now I still have to work on the frunk leak!!!