Spyder Garage

Default Looking for some engineering fabrication advice

I have an aluminum enclosed 7x16 vnose NEO brand trailer with fold down rear ramp door. I was told by manufacturer that the load limit on door was “approximately” #1,500. That works for the spyder but they’re are other things that I have thought of hauling that are in the 3-4K range and I dont have a way to get them in the trailer. So I initially was looking at some 9’-10’ loading ramps that can handle 4,000 per axle but are pricey. So I started wondering if the factory door could be modified/ reinforced to handle more weight? I had the plywood off a while ago on the ramp and seem to recall it was 1” tube construction underneath. Any advice as to how to proceed, where I could go locally to get definitive answers on weight limits and construction?
    Thanks as always for any constructive ideas.......
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ENGINERING

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    I have an aluminum enclosed 7x16 vnose NEO brand trailer with fold down rear ramp door. I was told by manufacturer that the load limit on door was “approximately” #1,500. That works for the spyder but they’re are other things that I have thought of hauling that are in the 3-4K range and I dont have a way to get them in the trailer. So I initially was looking at some 9’-10’ loading ramps that can handle 4,000 per axle but are pricey. So I started wondering if the factory door could be modified/ reinforced to handle more weight? I had the plywood off a while ago on the ramp and seem to recall it was 1” tube construction underneath. Any advice as to how to proceed, where I could go locally to get definitive answers on weight limits and construction?
    Thanks as always for any constructive ideas.......
    I have to build half a frame for my 917 project ( it connects to the rear half which has the engine ) ..... I'm doing ladder type side sections ( 8 " high ) by a length to be determined ..... To get a better idea of your project pics are necessary ..... I do know this .... angle style Alum. or channel style are very strong for their weight .... most steel yards ( if they are nice ) can tell you the load for the Alumin. you want. to use..... going from 1500lbs to 4000 lbs is a sizeable change .... If you place something solid at the half-way point of the door ( when its horizontal ) that will increase the load capability of the door by more than double..... I wish I could draw on the computer..... PM me your ph# and a good time to call I think I have the answer and it's simple and less expensive ..... Mike......Go to my albums ...look for the " loading at RT etc. " bottom row -middle pic .... the ramps are 10ft ...aluminum channel .... Spyder with me on it 1200 lbs +/- .... they would bend until I put two plastic milk crates in the middle ..... now they don't
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-17-2018 at 06:57 PM.

Spyder Garage

Hi Brentc,

Re: Looking for some engineering

These guys should be able to help you: http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/pels/

Or you can call Mike and use some 'backyard engineering.'

Jerry Baumchen
    Reg Prof Engr
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Default Not an engineer...😁

If you have only the support at the top and bottom adding one or two drop down supports that span the width should give you what you need. They could be hinged and anchored down when gate closed...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default engineering

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    If you have only the support at the top and bottom adding one or two drop down supports that span the width should give you what you need. They could be hinged and anchored down when gate closed...
    .....This is Exactly what I was going talk about in the phone call ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the info

Mike, thanks for the info. I’ll take a look at your albums. I also have some local metal fabrication shops and may end up going there to get some thoughts. I think I might need to do some exploratory work on my end to see what it is I am starting with.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I have to build half a frame for my 917 project ( it connects to the rear half which has the engine ) ..... I'm doing ladder type side sections ( 8 " high ) by a length to be determined ..... To get a better idea of your project pics are necessary ..... I do know this .... angle style Alum. or channel style are very strong for their weight .... most steel yards ( if they are nice ) can tell you the load for the Alumin. you want. to use..... going from 1500lbs to 4000 lbs is a sizeable change .... If you place something solid at the half-way point of the door ( when its horizontal ) that will increase the load capability of the door by more than double..... I wish I could draw on the computer..... PM me your ph# and a good time to call I think I have the answer and it's simple and less expensive ..... Mike......Go to my albums ...look for the " loading at RT etc. " bottom row -middle pic .... the ramps are 10ft ...aluminum channel .... Spyder with me on it 1200 lbs +/- .... they would bend until I put two plastic milk crates in the middle ..... now they don't
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Spyder Garage

You will want to look at the hinge also. It will need to be able to support the load.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by Culpjp View Post
    You will want to look at the hinge also. It will need to be able to support the load.
    Good point, I’ll add that to the mix.
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Keep in mind the possibility that when you reinforce the gate for the weight you want, you may make it so heavy that it'll be a pain to open and close. Maybe you can add the Gorilla Lift springs to help operate the gate.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default weight of ramp

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Keep in mind the possibility that when you reinforce the gate for the weight you want, you may make it so heavy that it'll be a pain to open and close. Maybe you can add the Gorilla Lift springs to help operate the gate.
    The trailer is Alumin. , the ramp is rated at 1500lbs so I think this may be Alumin also ..... if He keeps it all alumin.. the added bracing should be Alumin. too. ( and it can be - strength wise ) .......................jmho ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I had the same issue.....

Loading a tractor on a flatbed trailer. I made a set of supports to set under the end of the trailer (to keep the front of the trailer from coming up) and a set of supports that went midway under the ramp. As the weight of the tractor moved forward on the trailer it released the weight placed on the supports and they were easily removed, because they were independent and not attached. I made the supports out of short lengths of 4X4's. Inexpensive and easy to make, just takes a little time to get your dimensions correct.

Spyder Garage

Default I plan to stay well below that.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    What is the payload capacity of the trailer? Make sure you dont exceed the GVWR which is weight of trailer with cargo.
    Thanks Joel, my max load would be in the 3,500 lb range and trailer is rated for gvwr of 7000.
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer loading

Keep in mind that you are adding weight at the extreme end behind the axle. This may cause the empty trailer to weave at speed. I speak from experience.