SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OK... it's question and answer time

Hi everyone
    This question is for anyone who has or has owned what I have "see picture" fullsizeoutput_4bac.jpg
    this is a 2008 made in Dec. 08 sold new in 2009 it says it's a 2009 but it also says it's a GS on some paperwork
    when the dealer pull it up it says GS/RS.
    Now on with the question.... I have had it since it had 600 miles on it, it now has 19,022.8 I have NEVER had any issues
    no codes not even a flat tire.... now for the fun. I went out Thursday to take a ride and when I started it I got the dreaded
    CHECK DPS - CHECK DPS - CHECK DPS... well since I was going that direction I I went to my friendly neighborhood dealer
    to have it checked out... well as it turns out I am told the DPS is toast and needs to be replaced. It never went in to limp mode
    and the tech said it will not, all I will have is HARD steering so my question is....
    If you have had this service preformed what did it cost ??? my wife is still suffering from shock, she says damn that more than the Harley stuff costs. What should I expect to pay to have it replaced parts and labor.
    I do have the repair order but will hold off telling you what it is until I see some of yours.
    Thanks everyone
    Ride Safe
    Dave
    PS I am sure glad I have another motorcycle in the garage to ride.....good ole Honda
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 08-11-2018 at 06:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

Off the top of my head I think you're looking at about $1,500.00 for the DPS unit plus installation. Hopefully, I am way high!

The GS and RS are identical (GS is the 2008 model and RS is the 2009 model). BRP simply decided to change the name from (I think) Grand Sport to Roadster Sport in 2009.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had an 09

I vaguely recall there was a Recall on dps on an early model ... Could be wrong but if right could save you dollars - if it was a formal Safety Recall it is for the life of the vehicle, not just warranty period. If it was just a bulletin no such luck.

Spyder Garage

That would be nice but remember this thing is 10 years old...
    I will check but I don't hold out much hope it would be covered.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    I had an 09

I vaguely recall there was a Recall on dps on an early model ... Could be wrong but if right could save you dollars - if it was a formal Safety Recall it is for the life of the vehicle, not just warranty period. If it was just a bulletin no such luck.

Spyder Garage

Default ooouch!!!

I would check on it as there were problems with the DPS and BRP replaced them back then. You may qualify if it is truly shot. I know at cheapcycleparts.com they run $1300.00 and you can find them online ebay, amazon etc or the cycle salvage network cheaper. Another reason for the fault code will be weak battery and bad ground connections and the DPS is fine. I would dig deeper and get second opinion cause it is not cheap.... you could invest in some barbells and build up some arm strength and rough it... little humor always helps....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Hi everyone
    This question is for anyone who has or has owned what I have "see picture" fullsizeoutput_4bac.jpg
    this is a 2008 made in Dec. 08 sold new in 2009 it says it's a 2009 but it also says it's a GS on some paperwork
    when the dealer pull it up it says GS/RS.
    Now on with the question.... I have had it since it had 600 miles on it, it now has 19,022.8 I have NEVER had any issues
    no codes not even a flat tire.... now for the fun. I went out Thursday to take a ride and when I started it I got the dreaded
    CHECK DPS - CHECK DPS - CHECK DPS... well since I was going that direction I I went to my friendly neighborhood dealer
    to have it checked out... well as it turns out I am told the DPS is toast and needs to be replaced. It never went in to limp mode
    and the tech said it will not, all I will have is HARD steering so my question is....
    If you have had this service preformed what did it cost ??? my wife is still suffering from shock, she says damn that more than the Harley stuff costs. What should I expect to pay to have it replaced parts and labor.
    I do have the repair order but will hold off telling you what it is until I see some of yours.
    Thanks everyone
    Ride Safe
    Dave
    PS I am sure glad I have another motorcycle in the garage to ride.....good ole Honda
    I had a 2012 RT Limited I bought new, kept it for 5 years, and put 55,400 miles on it. I must have had that DPS orange dash light go on at least 50 times, during the time i had it. Every time I took it back to the Dealer, they just reset the Computer Codes and sent me off. But it always came back on sooner or later. I should have demanded a DPS replacement, but the Dealer always said it was OK. My front end was never properly aligned, because the Dealer would not invest in the ROLO Lazer Alignment Tool, and kept trying to use the Factory Technigue, that never worked, because my front tires kept wearing out on the inside edges so bad, that I had to change them between 12,000 to 13,000 miles. My Dealer Recommended Rotating the front tires every Oil Change, but in order to do that, the wheels had to be removed, tires taken off the wheels, and exchanged, rebalanced, and reinstalled. But even after that, it still never stopped the DPS Alert, until I FINALLY took my Spyder to a Dealer that had the ROLO Allighment Tool, and had it front end aligned at 44,000 miles. Cost me $169.00 for Alighment, $50+ More than competitive rates, but that solved my tire wear problem and DPS Alert.
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default DPS replacement

I just recently replaced the DPS on my 2011 RT. The unit was 1200 and i did the switch myself. The only special tools needed is a non magnetic (stainless steel) tool to remove the magnet on the SPS, about 20.00.
    I would check on here because I have since seen some units for sale for a lot less than what the dealer wants. The price was 1200 everywhere I checked.
    If you do a search for DPS you will find something like 200+ post and almost all will tell you to check the battery connections because of the power draw from the DPS. You will need to take to dealer after install to have the steering parameters reset.
    Last edited by OlJim; 08-12-2018 at 10:52 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Follow up time

WELL.... it turns out that the DPS was replaced by the selling dealer, (NOW OUT OF BUSINESS)
    before I got it, now 19K later it went south again the first one was a recall this one I had to eat
    to the tune of $1,389.01.
    Well I love to ride so I payed the price and now it's like new again, I guess I will see them in another
    19000 miles for another one.
    Dave

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default dps

Dave , have you considered the recall line is for the life of the vehicle as mentioned below ?? I will defeinetly throw that at them if mine is FOOBARED, nothing too lose and probably 2 grand in my pocket if your's was 1400.