Spyder Garage

Default Aux hook up in trunk

So many questions..... My latest one is, after finding the aux hook up in the trunk of my RT SE5, where can I find the adapter to hook up my ipod/iphone? (other than the dealer) I bought this bike used so I don't have the cable that supposedly comes with the bike.
    Thanks,
    John

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Soulman327 View Post
    So many questions..... My latest one is, after finding the aux hook up in the trunk of my RT SE5, where can I find the adapter to hook up my ipod/iphone? (other than the dealer) I bought this bike used so I don't have the cable that supposedly comes with the bike.
    Thanks,
    John
    There are 2 possible ipod cables for your Spyder. It depends on the model year. Older ones had some sort of box in the cable. Newer ones just had a straight cable. It has been said that you cannot substitute the wrong one because terrible things can happen. Your Spyder dealer can order one for you but they are expensive. If you need the strait one. If you have good wiring skills, you could make one. Sometime they show up on Ebay.

So first step is to find out which cable you need.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    There are 2 possible ipod cables for your Spyder. It depends on the model year. Older ones had some sort of box in the cable. Newer ones just had a straight cable. It has been said that you cannot substitute the wrong one because terrible things can happen. Your Spyder dealer can order one for you but they are expensive. If you need the strait one. If you have good wiring skills, you could make one. Sometime they show up on Ebay.

So first step is to find out which cable you need.

Forgot to put in year. It's a 2012 RT SE5. I've been looking and there are 7 pin to 3.5 mm cables. I would think that would work?

Spyder Garage

You cannot use just any cable. It has to be a BRP made cable as the wiring will most likely be different.
    Your Spyder should have had 2 cable. a 3.5mm for an MP3 Player or Android phone.
    A Apple Ipod/iPhone cable.

I highly recommend Apple devices as you get full control on the dash and the dash displays songs, playlists, etc... Android and MP3 devices don't do that since it's only a 3.5mm connection. You can only skip ahead or back a song and it only displays what is playing on the dash. no menus.

Since you have a 2012 RT your Apple cable should NOT have a box on the cable. It should be straight cable.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    You cannot use just any cable. It has to be a BRP made cable as the wiring will most likely be different.
    Your Spyder should have had 2 cable. a 3.5mm for an MP3 Player or Android phone.
    A Apple Ipod/iPhone cable.

I highly recommend Apple devices as you get full control on the dash and the dash displays songs, playlists, etc... Android and MP3 devices don't do that since it's only a 3.5mm connection. You can only skip ahead or back a song and it only displays what is playing on the dash. no menus.

Since you have a 2012 RT your Apple cable should NOT have a box on the cable. It should be straight cable.

Bob

Well, since I bought this used, there were no cables passed on to me. So you're saying this won't work? Or it may work since I'm not too particular as long as it plays my music?

From the Walmart site

SENA SM10 3.5mm Stereo Jack To 7-Pin DIN Cable Kawasaki/Can-Am Spyder/Victory Vision 08-13 Black
    Last edited by Soulman327; 08-11-2018 at 10:00 AM.

Spyder Garage

Forgot to put in year. It's a 2012 RT SE5. I've been looking and there are 7 pin to 3.5 mm cables. I would think that would work?
    Yes the brp mp3 cable will give you sound to your radio from your music device. But if you have an ipod and get the ipod cable, it is far superior. It will keep the ipod charged. You can pick and choose the songs, albums or playlists right from the dash and handlebar controls when stopped. Skip and replay songs while moving. On my 2013 ST. I rarely ever took the ipod out or have to touch it.

From the picture it looks like you need the more expensive ipod cable for the 2012.
    2012 RT audio cables.jpg
    Last edited by billybovine; 08-11-2018 at 10:11 AM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default THANKS

As I've found, the members here are extremely helpful. Thanks a bunch!

Spyder Garage

Default Cables I have both from my 2013 RT-S I will ship boyh to you for $40

Ipod cable and audio cable

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stetsr View Post
    Ipod cable and audio cable

That is a good deal. I guess the '12 and '13 cable plugs are the same? If so, I'm in. How do we complete the transaction?

Thanks,
    John

Spyder Garage

Default My audio solution

I have a 2012 RT and I purchased a Bluetooth FM modulator that plugs into the 12v port in the rear. I have a radio preset for 88.7 fm that the modulator uses. I Bluetooth my phone to it that is mounted to the front of the bike and away I go. I stream mostly Pandora and it plays absolutely perfect. It cost $10 for the modulator and you can buy them everywhere.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shanethabarber View Post
    I have a 2012 RT and I purchased a Bluetooth FM modulator that plugs into the 12v port in the rear. I have a radio preset for 88.7 fm that the modulator uses. I Bluetooth my phone to it that is mounted to the front of the bike and away I go. I stream mostly Pandora and it plays absolutely perfect. It cost $10 for the modulator and you can buy them everywhere.

So, if I understand correctly, that set up you talk of will play music from my itunes on my phone through the radio?

Spyder Garage

Thanks,
    John
    I Have the 2012 RT Limet and I ordered mine off of Amazon and it works perfectly

Spyder Garage

Well, since I bought this used, there were no cables passed on to me. So you're saying this won't work? Or it may work since I'm not too particular as long as it plays my music?

From the Walmart site

SENA SM10 3.5mm Stereo Jack To 7-Pin DIN Cable Kawasaki/Can-Am Spyder/Victory Vision 08-13 Black
    I purchased this cable and a blue tooth transmitter - with both of these I stream music / Google Maps from my phone which is mounted on the handlebars. Works great on my 2014 RTS which has USB adapter in the back also to power the devices.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default 710001406

2013 RT Lim. Just got this cable from BRP. Plays my mp3 fine, no problems. Seems like I only have $32.89 at the dealer.

Spyder Garage

Default Cables for RT trunk

soulman327 sent you a PM

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I have them IN STOCK

I have them it is part # SC-A0123 SENA
    Call me I can send you one today
    Dave
    209-887-3283

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Dave
    209-887-3283

Thanks Dave, but until I get this stalling issue resolved I'm not buying anything. I will keep it in mind, though.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Dave
    209-887-3283
    This may not work for the trunk MP3 player jack on a Spyder.
    It's for a Goldwing and pretty darn sure they are wired differently.
    I could be wrong so if someone has used this great but I have never heard of it on a Spyder.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 08-13-2018 at 04:51 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

This may not work for the trunk MP3 player jack on a Spyder.
    It's for a Goldwing and pretty darn sure they are wired differently.
    I could be wrong so if someone has used this great but I have never heard of it on a Spyder.

Bob
    SENA says it works. They give a wiring diagram of this cable. I will double check it to the stock cable wiring and get back here and post.

https://www.sena.com/product/3-5mm-s...audio-systems/

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

SENA says it works. They give a wiring diagram of this cable. I will double check it to the stock cable wiring and get back here and post.

https://www.sena.com/product/3-5mm-s...audio-systems/

Bob
    OK I checked the SENA pin wiring for this SC-A0123 cable and it is in fact wired the same as the stock BRP MP3 (3.5mm) cable.
    So that SENA cable will work.

But with that said as recommended above, if you plan on using a Apple device, get the BRP Apple cable.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Sena Cable

IMG_1066.jpg
    Don't know why it's sideways but here it is in the factory package note it says Can Am Spyder on the tag.

Thanks,
    John

Spyder Garage

Cool BRP Apple Cable

Quote Originally Posted by finless;[URL="tel:1384464"
    1384464[/URL]]OK I checked the SENA pin wiring for this SC-A0123 cable and it is in fact wired the same as the stock BRP MP3 (3.5mm) cable.
    So that SENA cable will work.

But with that said as recommended above, if you plan on using a Apple device, get the BRP Apple cable.

Bob
    Bob, where can I find the BRP Apple cable please? A Can-am dealer? Thanks!
    Pearl1
    2014 RT-S , Pearl white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl1 View Post
    Bob, where can I find the BRP Apple cable please? A Can-am dealer? Thanks!
    Pearl1
    Yea a dealer OR check Ebay, etc.

Make sure you get the right one! 2010-early 2012 the cable had a box. After about mid 2012 the cable does not have box.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Can-Am-Spyd...8AAOSwOgdYo0pc

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 08-16-2018 at 10:34 AM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black