Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default My new camper design to pull behind Spyder

Many of you remember my previous camper design(shown in first photo). Now I have a new design that I will build in the spring. I built a scale model to test the concept. It will be built on an aluminum 4x8 trailer, have foam and wood walls, and be able to pop up so I can stand inside(approx 6 ft interior). Total weight is expected to be around 300#. Interior design has not been determined at this time. I realize the first criticism will be the roof vent. It has to face that way to shed water when in the pop-up position. It will not catch the wind and rip off when closed for travel, but the final design may differ anyway. In fact, I am thinking about putting the roof vent the other way so I can vent it during travel. Any suggestions are welcomed.
    Photo1120.jpgIMGP0027.jpgIMGP0028.jpgIMGP0029.jpgIMGP0030.jpg
    Last edited by Joel The Biker; 08-10-2018 at 12:39 PM.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Default Very Nice....

Looks like a fun project for the spring...looks like it should work fine and will be 'ing for the interior design.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Looks like a fun project, I may build a Pico Lite this winter if I have time. If you go with a aluminium frame make sure you have the tongue strong enough. We have a aluminium frame for our dog trailer and the tongue started to crack after about 10,000 miles and it only weighs 250 lbs.
    Fathers day ride 2018 003.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Let's see what can be added to it...
    Solar panels
    a wet bath
    bunk beds
    Bluetooth stereo system
    Outdoor kitchen
    Wineguard satellite TV
    Automatic leveling system
    4KW generator

And the list goes on!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TEAR DROP CAMPER

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    Many of you remember my previous camper design(shown in first photo). Now I have a new design that I will build in the spring. I built a scale model to test the concept. It will be built on an aluminum 4x8 trailer, have foam and wood walls, and be able to pop up so I can stand inside(approx 6 ft interior). Total weight is expected to be around 300#. Interior design has not been determined at this time. I realize the first criticism will be the roof vent. It has to face that way to shed water when in the pop-up position. It will not catch the wind and rip off when closed for travel, but the final design may differ anyway. In fact, I am thinking about putting the roof vent the other way so I can vent it during travel. Any suggestions are welcomed.
    .Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet ..... google " coroplast " ..... really interesting stuff ..... It may not weigh enough though ..... lots of types, strenghts and varieties ..... horizontal or vertical tubes ....depending on how you want to bend it to shape ( teardrop ) .....even H.D. sells basic 4 X 8 sheets ......good luck .....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have some coroplast for my sign making, but I dont like it for the camper. This will be a "foamy". Look it up on youtube. Light and strong.

I will also have a SUV tent that will attach to the back for an added room when at campsites. Yes it will have a TV, A/C, and a 2000k generator, water hookup, outside shower and portable toilet in a separate popup tent. I might not need the A/C and generator and that will save a lot of weight. The generator only weighs 52# but not sure I really need it. A battery and solar should be enough. Depends which weighs less.

1.-13100-main-w-fly-resized-for-products.jpg61jov9mjKtL.jpg114976_ts.jpg313a+11DamL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg
    Last edited by Joel The Biker; 08-10-2018 at 01:48 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool... WAY cool!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nice design but good luck if you think that trailer will weigh roughly 300 pounds.
    I'm guessing roughly twice that ……..and when loaded with the camping basics?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    Nice design but good luck if you think that trailer will weigh roughly 300 pounds.
    I'm guessing roughly twice that ……..and when loaded with the camping basics?
    The 300 lbs will be the weight empty. My previous camper had a steel trailer and was made of wood and only weighed 350#. This one will have an aluminum trailer that weighs about 170#(possibly less with mods) and most of the rest will be Foam, except for floor, roof and rear door. If it comes in at 400# fully loaded with gear, then it will be perfect!!
    Last edited by Joel The Biker; 08-10-2018 at 02:24 PM.

Spyder Garage

Very good information for those interested in pulling a camper.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default WOW

OUTSTANDING, LOOKS WELL THOUGHT OUT ALSO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE ROOF VENT CAN ALWAYS HAVE AN ALL WEATHER COVER THAT WORKS IN EITHER DIRECTION LIKE A LOT OF RV"S HAVE.

I have some coroplast for my sign making, but I dont like it for the camper. This will be a "foamy". Look it up on youtube. Light and strong.

I will also have a SUV tent that will attach to the back for an added room when at campsites. Yes it will have a TV, A/C, and a 2000k generator, water hookup, outside shower and portable toilet in a separate popup tent. I might not need the A/C and generator and that will save a lot of weight. The generator only weighs 52# but not sure I really need it. A battery and solar should be enough. Depends which weighs less.

1.-13100-main-w-fly-resized-for-products.jpg61jov9mjKtL.jpg114976_ts.jpg313a+11DamL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default Brilliant!

I love it! Can’t wait to see it done!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Camper

It looks like a very able design. How many adults will it sleep? Good Luck on the build.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    I love it! Can’t wait to see it done!
    Done??
    I want to see it go into production, and make it to the Market!

Spyder Garage

Hi Joel,

Re: My new camper

Fantastic!!!!! Keep us posted on your progress.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Production is a possibility the way General Electric is going. I may have to start building campers for a living instead of Generators! They laid off 205 workers on tuesday.

Interior space will be a bit tight at only 42 inches wide, so sleeping 2 will be very cozy. But thats where the SUV tent helps out. Cozy sleeping will be more for WalMart camping when you cant set up the tent.

I am sure the design will be updated a bit before I start the build in the spring. This design was an accident. I turned my original design upside down and I just said, "That's it!" This design allows 6 ft interior height and makes waterproofing easy.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default outside coating.

I think the outside will be white aluminum diamond plate. I found a company that sells rolls of .025 thick diamond plate. https://www.cutsmetal.net/white-alum...various-sizes/ I can laminate it to 1" thick foam and it will be very strong and look like factory built. A 4x8 sheet weighs 12 lbs( 6 oz/sqft ). The sides of my camper are only 36" and taper to 12" in front. So each sheet of aluminum will be under 10 Lbs for the sides and even less for front and rear. So the diamond plate skin will only add around 40 lbs at most if I do the roof. I do have some experience with the same stuff bought at Lowes, but they only sell 2x3 sheets. I do have some pieces laying around that I can try different ways to attach it to the foam. This will make to camper really nice in case I end up building some for other people.
    Last edited by Joel The Biker; 08-11-2018 at 12:48 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Campers by Joel

I think the outside will be white aluminum diamond plate. I found a company that sells rolls of .025 thick diamond plate. https://www.cutsmetal.net/white-alum...various-sizes/ I can laminate it to 1" thick foam and it will be very strong and look like factory built. I am still waiting for them to let me know how much a 4x8 sheet weighs. I do have some experience with the same stuff bought at Lowes, but they only sell 2x3 sheets. I do have some pieces laying around that I can try different ways to attach it to the foam. This will make to camper really nice in case I end up building some for other people.
    Joel Campers LLC?

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

I would make the rear door a split door. e.g. a 1/2 door on the bottom half and a 1/2 door on the top pop up part.
    I like the design idea of the pop up for sure!
    Can't wait to see it.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Let's see what can be added to it...
    Solar panels
    a wet bath
    bunk beds
    Bluetooth stereo system
    Outdoor kitchen
    Wineguard satellite TV
    Automatic leveling system
    4KW generator

And the list goes on!
    And don’t forget the “Hot Tub” Bob!
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That looks like a good design, You should give some thought to moving the fenders up and using larger tires
    and wheels, years ago when we built ours we had small 12 inch tires on it, the tires would drop all the way into chuck holes
    and not roll over them. look in to a different axel design and larger tires and wheels. we used 165X15
    Good luck and please post photos of the build.
    Dave

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I would make the rear door a split door. e.g. a 1/2 door on the bottom half and a 1/2 door on the top pop up part.
    I like the design idea of the pop up for sure!
    Can't wait to see it.

Bob
    I am not using a half door because I wanted to simplify things. Plus, a factory built teardrop camper door will be more secure and water-tight. I like the idea of my trailer being sealed up with no obvious entry point when its in the towing position. Also, the 2 different angles of the back panels would mean the half doors would need to be opened separately.

Here is a list of criteria that my camper must meet:

1 weigh around 300 lbs or as light as possible empty
    2 Little or no set-up time/ must be able to pull into rest area/truck stop and climb inside for a nap. Cant do that with a MiniMate.
    3 Be corrosion/rot proof
    4 Look like it was factory built
    5 be safe to tow with the spyder
    6 Be weatherproof and able to sit outside all winter.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default the door thing

Have you considered a large HATCH that would swing up on gas struts ..... way less expensive and it would protect you from the rain ......just a thought ........ Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    And don’t forget the “Hot Tub” Bob!
    Jack,
    If he left the design to us: it'd be 45' long, and have a diesel pusher design!

Hot Tub?? Hmmm... you sure are a decadent old rascal!

Spyder Garage

Default Camper design?

Here is just another idea. Why not move the wheels inboard? This will allow you to have more room inside by making the camper wider. Also, give you a little storage room in front of and behind the wheel wells. Just another idea. Good luck.
    2011 RT-S SE5 Viper Red
    2014 RT-S SE6 Cognac
    Bajaron sway bar w/ aluminum heims
    Custom Design HM Brake light
    Custom Design Red front fender lights with turn signals
    Lidlox
    Corbin arm rests
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac