Spyder Garage

Default BRP Trailer hitch

I would like to be able to remove the factory hitch when I'm not planning on pulling the trailer for a while. I noticed that there are two bolts on each side of the hitch assembly, and if removed maybe the back half of the hitch would slide out. Has anyone tried this? The bolts (unfortunately) are installed from the inside out, and will present some clearance issues if I try to remove them. Installed from the outside in would make things a lot easier. So, before I head down this path I'd like to see if there are some ideas out there.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by amkrat View Post
    I would like to be able to remove the factory hitch when I'm not planning on pulling the trailer for a while. I noticed that there are two bolts on each side of the hitch assembly, and if removed maybe the back half of the hitch would slide out. Has anyone tried this? The bolts (unfortunately) are installed from the inside out, and will present some clearance issues if I try to remove them. Installed from the outside in would make things a lot easier. So, before I head down this path I'd like to see if there are some ideas out there.
    There is one long "Jesus" bolt that fastens the hitch to the axle of the Spyder. Takes a few minutes max to pull the hitch completely, those bolts you mention do not get loosened.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It helps to use a rubber mallet to beat the hitch off. If you are planning on removing and reinstalling it tou should pick up some cotter pins as they are meant to be single use.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default BRP Trailer Hitch

Thank you! I didn't realize that the axle shaft was hollow and that this "Jesus bolt" went through it. Seeing the head of a bolt on one end, and a nut w/cotter pin on the other had me thinking that I was looking at the axle shaft itself. I definitely didn't want to remove that just to take the hitch off occasionally. Boy, this forum has really paid for itself with assistance from folks like you

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    There is one long "Jesus" bolt that fastens the hitch to the axle of the Spyder. Takes a few minutes max to pull the hitch completely, those bolts you mention do not get loosened.
    The long bolt is easy enough , but it does mont look horrible on the bike when not towing anything, can add surface for more brake lights or a funny hitch critter not to mention it adds protection, I was almost rear ended (was not a straight line hit) & the hitch acted as a crumple zone saved a lot of damage & ez replaced.
    Heres where someone added lights:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...hlight=Trailer

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Thanks. That's a good idea. My thought in removing the hitch was to hopefully do away with or at least reduce the amount of spray soaking my wife's back and hair when riding in the rain. It looks to me like the hitch and it's mud flap might be the culprits.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My thought in removing the hitch was to hopefully do away with or at least reduce the amount of spray soaking my wife's back and hair when riding in the rain. It looks to me like the hitch and it's mud flap might be the culprits.
    Nope, that's not the problem. The overall design of the Spyder is. To cut down on the spray hang a mud flap on the black fender.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Nope, that's not the problem. The overall design of the Spyder is. To cut down on the spray hang a mud flap on the black fender.
    Lowering the windshield will also reduce the spray. But maybe you don't want to in the rain.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Thanks. That's a good idea. My thought in removing the hitch was to hopefully do away with or at least reduce the amount of spray soaking my wife's back and hair when riding in the rain. It looks to me like the hitch and it's mud flap might be the culprits.
    But look @ JT's & SpyderPops fix
    http://spyderstore.com/index.php?rou...tegory&path=62

http://spyderpops.com/trailer-add-ons/splash-plate/
    Last edited by Bfromla; 08-28-2018 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Links

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

These both look like great options. I will definitely pick one of them. It seems like we have at least one day of rain on most of our trips.

Spyder Garage

These both look like great options. I will definitely pick one of them. It seems like we have at least one day of rain on most of our trips.
    FWIW, the hitch will kind of make your wife get soaked more if left stock. The tire spray hits the hitches mudflap and goes everywhere in a finer mist. The airflow then drops it on the pasengers back and neck.

We had this problem. i did not buy a mudflap that hangs down specific for the Spyder as that guy wants $60. I did not buy the small cover that is secured to the top of the hitch beams as it seemed there was too much clearance for water to pass through, plus it cost a bit.

I got a peice of Kydex plastic, a type of pebble grain on one side smooth on the other side material. It is low cost and easily cut. Designed a mudflap, shaped to be almost as wide as the inside of the hitch beams. The “extension” fastens just below the tag on the oem mudflap. I made the extension go well below the hitch beams. Two screws secure it in place. No more water spray issues on the passenger and far less on the trailer. Cost was basically nil, and took about 30 minutes to design, fabricate and install. Plus it is flexible material so it will not crack and can bend if needed.

Spyder Garage

Just to give you an idea, photos of what I mentioned above. Easy to make, works well and very low cost.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PMK; 08-29-2018 at 08:30 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default fender extension

I contacted JT a little while ago and he said he only had 1 of those fenders left, I wanted 2 for wife and I, and he said he probably wont be having any more made. Get it quick.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just to give you an idea, photos of what I mentioned above. Easy to make, works well and very low cost.
    Just don't make it too long and back up over a curb! It'll get caught between the curb and tire and get ripped off! Ask me how I know!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Just don't make it too long and back up over a curb! It'll get caught between the curb and tire and get ripped off! Ask me how I know!
    Have a look at the photos I posted, pretty obvious the length is shorter than oem but longer and more effective than most high priced aftermarket versions. Bummer you ripped off your mudflap. Seems if you had the hitch mudflap that would have made a ton of noise as you rolled into the curb.

Spyder Garage

I made something similar, but obviously made it out of material that was a little too flexible. It had a tendency to get sucked up between the tire and the fender. Something more rigid might be the answer.