Spyder Garage

Post 2015 RTS - Unknown Part Behind RH/LH Pop-Off Inspection Panels

This is my first post to the community. I was able to get a 2015 Spyder RTS with only 2700 miles on it. I knew from the beginning I wanted to add the BajaRon Sway Bar. So today I started the process of the install. Right after removing the RH/LH pop-off inspection panels I noticed a brass colored part that feels like it can be turned left/right. I noticed a little bit of oil on both of these parts. Please see the attached photo of the part. Can someone tell me what it is and should it be tightened to stop any further oil leakage?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Above the brass part, on the black piece with the holes in it you'll see HB & LB which means High beam & Low Beam. Turning the brass knob will adjust the headlight beam.

If you can get the bike high enough off the floor you can access the sway bar without removing all the Tupperware.

canammanuals.com would greatly help. Oh, reading the owners manual wouldn't be a bad idea either.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I have the manual and just checked it. I don't think I would have found this without your help. However, I'm still a little confused about the oil. My assumption is the cable running from this adjustment knob to the lights must be filled with some kind of oil to keep it pliable. So is it normal for this adjustment knob to be wet sometimes on the bottom?

Spyder Garage

I've never noticed oil on my headlight adjustment cables but that doesn't mean something wasn't applied to keep them turning smoothly. Wipe off any excess and check later. Do note the crayon marks on both plastic panels where the cables are fastened. If you have to change a burned out bulb, the crayon mark is your reference mark for which hole the cable goes in when you reassemble things. Mix them up and your lights might not be correctly adjusted.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

There is no oil in the headlight adjuster cable. If the brass knob at the end is wet with oil it came from somewhere else. I suspect an overfilled oil system and the oil ends up in the air box and......

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Since I'm a new spyder owner I'm still learning the ins and outs. The manual doesn't go into enough detail for some things. Guess I'll need to invest in a shop manual. The previous owner had an oil change done every year regardless of mileage even though only one is due at the first 3000 miles.

I want to thank all of you that responded.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We have found many, many Spyders with oil on the headlight adjusters.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Perhaps....

As brass adjusters tend to dry out with the heat I would suspect they coat them to keep them from getting stuck. Clean up around them and see if you get a recurring puddle. If not your good to go....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The above posters have you covered on your questions.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vienna7475 View Post
    Since I'm a new spyder owner I'm still learning the ins and outs. The manual doesn't go into enough detail for some things. Guess I'll need to invest in a shop manual. The previous owner had an oil change done every year regardless of mileage even though only one is due at the first 3000 miles.

I want to thank all of you that responded.

Oil change interval is 9300 or one year which ever comes first. He was following the requirements in the manual.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame