Spyder Garage

Default BRP Connect usb location

I do not like the usb plug for BRP Connect in the frunk. Has anyone came up with a way to move it?

Spyder Garage

With a USB extension cable you can move it anywhere you would like. Just connect the extension cable and route it to the location of your choosing.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I used the extension cable Lamonster sells to mount the phone on top of the RT dash. I routed the cable up thru the center windshield mount. I use a TricLED dash bracket and RAM X-Grip and I find it way easier to access and get to along with it being a lot cooler with air flow compared to stuck in the frunk.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Default Routing of USB Extension

Brand new to the spyder. Would you have to remove any panels to route a USB extension thru the middle windshield frame?Thanks for any help.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes there are a few panels to remove to get access to behind the headlight. The panel in the frunk so you can route the cable thru it and up under the headlight. Then the mirrors, side panels and headlight frame piece as well as one of the headlights.

Unless you know how to use an electricians fishing wire and can get it where you need to to get the phone cable.

There are videos on YouTube showing how to remove the panels. A little tricky at first but gets easier after doing it a few times. Canammanuals.com is where you can buy a service manual to help.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Yes there are a few panels to remove to get access to behind the headlight. The panel in the frunk so you can route the cable thru it and up under the headlight. Then the mirrors, side panels and headlight frame piece as well as one of the headlights.

Unless you know how to use an electricians fishing wire and can get it where you need to to get the phone cable.

There are videos on YouTube showing how to remove the panels. A little tricky at first but gets easier after doing it a few times. Canammanuals.com is where you can buy a service manual to help.
    I was able to fish mine from the top down, and did not remove the mirrors or side panels.
    It was not fun and you need small arms.
    I was able to route mine to the hole in the handle bar.

Spyder Garage

Flamewinger , can you post a pic of your mount location???
    Thanks

Joe
    Lamonster Bright Ryder,
    Lamonster Bright Tail Lighter,
    Lamonster H4 LED Headlights,
    Lamonster LED Fog Lights,
    Lamonster Fog Light Ring Combo,
    Rox Riser
    Lamonster Driver Back Rest,
    Lamonster Frame Mount Drink Holder.
    Lamonster 15" Freedom Shield Wind Shield
    ******* USA flag
    Freecom 2 head sets
    Mirror Wedgies by Squared Away
    Motorcycle Dave's Tachform phone cradle
    Spyderpops Turnsignal LEDs
    Spyder Sisters Shade
    Spyderpops LidLocs
    Spyderpops front fender LEDs by Show Chrome
    Motorcycle Dave's Gel seat insert
    2018 F3L , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use the RT Dash bracket to mount the phone with RAM components. I use the older iPhone to connect to the dash system. I use my current phone or music, Garmin, Waze and SiriusXM and I mount it to the center of the handlebars with RAM Ball parts.

9ABI9V70Qvys3TFbGI6QzQ.jpg XO%2VGcLSW6NVcj5XOLK+Q.jpg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gregsi View Post
    I do not like the usb plug for BRP Connect in the frunk. Has anyone came up with a way to move it?
    Here is the good and the bad.
    I ran a USB cable from the handle bars to the frunk and it did not sink correctly all the time.
    I pulled the factory USB cable from the frunk up to the dash and ran in through the handle bar hole.
    It works a whole lot better.
    There are only a couple wire ties that you will need to cut.
    I just removed the black access cover under the frunk lid.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Johndeeredoo View Post
    Here is the good and the bad.
    I ran a USB cable from the handle bars to the frunk and it did not sink correctly all the time.
    I pulled the factory USB cable from the frunk up to the dash and ran in through the handle bar hole.
    It works a whole lot better.
    There are only a couple wire ties that you will need to cut.
    I just removed the black access cover under the frunk lid.
    Hey Johndeeredoo,
    I just got a new Can-Am so I'm new at this and don't know all the ins and outs of the BRP Connect yet but
    I think that I want both the BRP activated USB cable on the handle bars and also want to be able to charge and go bluetooth wireless. It seems like if I connect that cable I can no longer just use any old GPS or stream my music. Its like it disables the bluetooth. I have to power it by some other means because the BRP Connect app takes over on the phone. I want to be able to do both maybe. I haven't yet completely dumped the BRP connect but it seems somewhat ludicrous so maybe this is a moot point but I want to get a handlebar mount and route a cable to power the phone and maybe also the BRP cable. Does this make any sense? I also want to have an SAE connector nearby for my trickle charger and heated gear.
    So the things I want are:
    1) Power Heated Gear
    2) Trickle charger
    3) Power Phone
    4) Use BRP Connect (unless I dump it which seems ashame)

The lamaster mount has USB that you tie into the battery or the aux. It is a cigarette lighter plug so I could trickle charge after getting off and pulling the phone out but if I have heated gear I'd want an SAE connector anyway.
    Because I have an SAE to coax dongle and the SAE would be a standard that could have anything even a USB connect up to it.
    So it seems like I'll need to route an SAE connector probably under the seat to pull out for the heated gear.
    I could actually put a Y connector on that and power the phone but that still doesn't solve the BRP Connect USB issue.

So, anyone have any idea of what they would do to have all of this functionality or is the BRP connect as bad as it seems and I should dump it if I'm going to mount my phone anyway.
    I just can't see putting my phone in the frunk and have to pull it out every time I want to make a change.
    So

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gregsi View Post
    I ran a 6' USB-Lightning extension from the frunk connector, under the front panels and into the glove box on my '18 RT-L. Drilled a small hole in the frunk side wall and a teeny hole in the side of the glove box. Works perfectly, and I can now either use BRP Connect, or put my iPhone X Max on the handlebar RAM mount and use it directly. Took me about an hour for the whole thing. You do have to remove the mirror and side panels for best access.
    I think I am, therefore I am. I think.
    George Carlin

'18 RT Limited Dark - Champagne
    '15 ST-S White/Orange (sold)
    '14 Ducati Monster 1200 (rear-ended)
    '12 Triumph Street Triple R (sold)
    '99 BMW R1100S (sold)
    2018 RT Limited , Champagne

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by XPress View Post
    So, anyone have any idea of what they would do to have all of this functionality or is the BRP connect as bad as it seems and I should dump it if I'm going to mount my phone anyway.
    I just can't see putting my phone in the frunk and have to pull it out every time I want to make a change.
    So
    Your agonizingly best bet is to spend a few hours searching the forum for discussions about BRP connect. There has been a lot of discussion about it, and recommendations about what works and what doesn't.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

If you run the extension through the glove box, doesn't the glove box have to be open/ajar when using the phone with the extension?
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Nope, the glove box closes fine with the cord running out the top edge. Probably isn't a water-proof seal, but. hey, I don't ride in the rain!
    I think I am, therefore I am. I think.
    George Carlin

'18 RT Limited Dark - Champagne
    '15 ST-S White/Orange (sold)
    '14 Ducati Monster 1200 (rear-ended)
    '12 Triumph Street Triple R (sold)
    '99 BMW R1100S (sold)
    2018 RT Limited , Champagne

Spyder Garage

I have a 2018 F3 Limited, and I have installed a RAM Mount on my handlebars right next to my left hand grip. This setup works great when I connect my phone directly to my Schuberth helmet (via bluetooth). However, I need to connect my phone to the BRP connect USB cable in the front glove box to use that functionality, but I would really like to do both on an as needed basis.

I have seen a number of posts from RT owners about how they have routed their BRP Connect USB cable through the glove box and out to the handlebars, but is there possibly an F3 Limited owner out there that can help me figure out a clean way to route the cable from the glove box on my F3 up to the RAM mount I have installed on my handle bars?

It would have been great if the glove box had a small opening available (even when closed) to route a cable out of the box, but the need for water protection in the glove box makes that impractical.

Any suggestions/help with this issue would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks!