Thread: FOBO Help

Spyder Garage

Default FOBO Help

Just received my FOBO for trike. Did everything by the book, but will not connect. Looking at the FOBO website, it shows 3 metal valve adapters, not the T-Valve, just straight metal to attach to the valve before the sensor. . My box did not have those. Are these supposed to be optional? If not, why can't I make mine working? Also, isn't there supposed to be a small air leak installing the sensor, as when putting air in the tire? Mine doesn't do that. Feels like the sensor doesn't reach the valve core.

Help..FOBOTrikenShortValve.jpg
    Last edited by Bigmo; 08-07-2018 at 04:18 PM.
    2018 RT Limited "Blondie"

Spyder Garage

What is pictured are actually metal valve stems, not adapters. These are not needed to use the FOBO sensors. Not being able to see what you are faced with makes it near impossible to know why you are not able to configure and connect to them. Are they installed within the app and just not showing pressures? Are you not able to complete the installation (where you hold your phone to each sensor etc etc)?

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check batteries in each sensor. I had two that were not great and I believe there should be extras in the package but as you don't have the different valve stems you might not have extra batteries. There is a video Lamonster did showing how to work them and the app. I replaced each battery separately and added it to the app after clearing it and starting fresh.

2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Yes, you should hear a small (very soft) air leak when installing and removing the FOBOs, Bigmo. It is only faint though. I am using the original rubber valve stems on my 16 F3-L, and they work well.......BUT.... There have been reports of them not working with some types of wheels as you can’t screw the sensors down far enough, but I don’t know which wheels. Sorry.
    Are you able to screw the caps fully on without them making contact with any part of the wheel?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Yes, you should hear a small (very soft) air leak when installing and removing the FOBOs, Bigmo. It is only faint though. I am using the original rubber valve stems on my 16 F3-L, and they work well.......BUT.... There have been reports of them not working with some types of wheels as you can’t screw the sensors down far enough, but I don’t know which wheels. Sorry.
    Are you able to screw the caps fully on without them making contact with any part of the wheel?

Pete
    Yes, the sensor attaches and sits all the way on the valve stem. I was looking for the soft air leak. Did not happen. I did replace the battery using the spares that where in the box. Followed instruction to the letter. System asked to attach the FR, touch with phone then press OK. All I get is "Please wait" . After awhile, I get "connection unsuccessful." Then it ask to do the rear wheel. Same scenario. Please wait...... I even installed without the lock nut, thinking it may be a problem. So far, I tried two sensors, two new batteries on two different wheels. No luck. I even changed phones and started from scratch, having to re-log in. I'm at loss....
    2018 RT Limited "Blondie"

Spyder Garage

Default Trouble with FOBO

I had the same problem. After searching on their website found one that said to turn off everything but the blue tooth connection and that finally worked for me. So I put my phone in airplane mode and then turned on the blue tooth and it worked ok. No problems since.

Spyder Garage

Have you tried the Disable/Install function after changing the batteries, Bigmo? I needed to do that after changing batteries....it’s pretty straightforward. What is worrying is that you are not hearing any air hiss when you screw/unscrew them.
    If the above, or furface’s suggestion doesn’t work, unfortunately I have no more to offer....sorry. It might be time to call/contact FOBO support. I have always found them very good.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Make sure that you are actually touching the phone to the wheel. And I wouldn’t bother with the locks, they make it so hard to add air and I doubt anyone will try to steal them. If they know anything about them they woukd know that they are locked to your account.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Make sure that you are actually touching the phone to the wheel. And I wouldn’t bother with the locks, they make it so hard to add air and I doubt anyone will try to steal them. If they know anything about them they woukd know that they are locked to your account.
    +1 for Ann. May I add to what she said? I just installed FOBOs on my Spyder and I was similarly unable to connect at first. I think it was because I could not get my phone close enough to the FOBO sending units **while they were on the wheels**. I could touch them but not exactly a close touch (partly because I use an Otterbox). I solved the problem by taking the FOBO sending units OFF the wheels, touching them flat to the face of my phone (over the screen, where there would be no interference from the Otterbox), then putting the units back on the wheels. This made a connection within a couple of seconds and every unit works perfectly now.

BTW, if you are connected to the FOBO units as I did, then when you put them on the wheels you should see your pressure. If you're not seeing any pressure after a minute or so, THEN you can start worrying that they aren't touching the valve stem.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Default fobo and spyder

I was told by fobo and others that these should not be used with rubber (or non metal) valve stems. The forces while spinning can eventually lead to leaks and sudden failure of the stem. Check it out

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default True or not so true.......

Quote Originally Posted by fishavenue View Post
    I was told by fobo and others that these should not be used with rubber (or non metal) valve stems. The forces while spinning can eventually lead to leaks and sudden failure of the stem. Check it out
    I've been running FOBO's for a couple of years now. Great product and I've had "0" problems using them on OEM rubber stems. I'd be suspicious of "sudden failure" being simply a rumor. However, you know if it's on the internet it must be true.

Spyder Garage

When I installed mine with the locks the first time I did not have the lock all the way down.
    They would not work. also I have had mine on rubber stems for 4 years no problem.
    if it will not connect make sure every thing is off except blue tooth and only try one at a time.
    also you have to remove and reinstall when it does not connect.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fishavenue View Post
    Like 2dogs, I, and three other mates have been running them on rubber stems for 2+ years with zero issues, fish. Possibly other issues than simply the rubber stems contributed to any reported failures (I haven’t seen any reported, but that doesn’t mean they haven’t happened)

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Yes Pete.........

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Like 2dogs, I, and three other mates have been running them on rubber stems for 2+ years with zero issues, fish. Possibly other issues than simply the rubber stems contributed to any reported failures (I haven’t seen any reported, but that doesn’t mean they haven’t happened)

Pete
    Prior to pressure washing my spyder I've noticed that brake pad dust and road grime collect on my front wheels between the spokes where the valve stem and FOBOs are located. Because the stems are short and are recessed into the rim, the FOBOs are very close to the wheel. A quarter inch or less. I've also noticed there are no markings in the dust and grime on the wheel where the FOFO would touch the wheel if it could. I've pushed the FOBO over with my finger and made it touch the wheel and they do leave a mark if they flexed far enough and did touched the wheel. So, I feel pretty darn safe running those puppies on my OEM rubber valve stems.