Thread: sway bar

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default sway bar

Does any one know the difference between the 2017 sway bar 706201544 and the 2018 706202800 ?
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

The bajaron is 14mm and if i measured my right the stock 2018 RTL is 16 mm.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stmike 1800 View Post
    The bajaron is 14mm and if i measured my right the stock 2018 RTL is 16 mm.
    Not sure what you are measuring. But my RT bar is 17.5mm. You need to know a lot more about a sway bar than just diameter to have any meaningful idea as to whether or not it is stronger. You can have 2 sway bars of identical diameter and one can be much stronger than the other.

There are actually 3 parameters which combine to make a sway bar stronger or weaker. To get an accurate assessment without actually testing the bars, you will also need to know what spring steel compound is being used and the exact length of arm for both bars. Only when these other 2 aspects are identical will diameter tell you which bar will be stronger and which will be weaker.

As far as I can tell there is no real functional difference between the old and the new part #. BRP and other manufacturer's are known to change part #'s when they change suppliers for a particular item. This may be the case here.

Or, the new bar may be similar to what BRP sold as an 'Upgrade' for the RS/ST models. This upgrade bar was the same sway bar that came stock on the RSS. This sway bar was slightly stronger. But functionally, you could not tell any difference from the stock sway bar when riding.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 08-21-2018 at 11:52 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Yes i do know there are difference in the tensile strength of steel , but my bikes must be made of lead .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stmike 1800 View Post
    Yes i do know there are difference in the tensile strength of steel , but my bikes must be made of lead .
    Everyone has a different take on how the stock RT feels. Set up correctly, the RT is pretty nimble for its size and weight. It is a heavy machine. But the weight does have some advantage as it gives you a very nice ride and keeps the Spyder firmly planted in most situations.

Unfortunately, the stock suspension does not handle the weight as well as it could. Combined with the factory alignment and tires, it can all add up to the 'Lead' feeling you are experiencing.

But to be fair. The vast majority of Spyders out there remain stock and customers are, for the most part, happy with them. However, I feel that if they were to experience a properly set up Spyder, they would be very impressed with the difference. The sway bar upgrade alone can be pretty amazing.

The comment I get a lot is that customers feel for the money they paid. They should not need to go out and purchase several hundred dollars worth of upgrades to realize the amazing potential of their Spyder. And I must say I agree with them. But it is what it is and the choices are pretty clear. Be happy with a stock machine or go with the proven upgrades.

I am just happy that my customers have big smiles. That's what it is all about.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Anti-sway bar is #1.

"I am just happy that my customers have big smiles. That's what it is all about. "

I couldn't be happier with the suspension mods I've made---- the anti-sway bar is #1

That said:
    The CanAM Spyder should have come from the dealer/ factory with proper front wheel alignment and tire pressure ( and better tires ). BUT ....... it can all be made right. Thousands of us are happy with our Spyders.

My V-Max came from the dealer with a bad high speed wobble . But I had done my research and knew how to fix it ( lowered the price by over $1000 also). Has handled great since. (proper tire pressure also makes a huge difference)

My ZX-11 developed funny handling BUT ...... when I checked the wheel alignment it was out ( because of my poor chain adjustment skills ). The waggle was gone with a few cents of string.

That said:
    Thousands of us have great handling 's.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow