Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Advice to passengers

What type of advice do/would you give to a passenger riding a Spyder for the first time?
    2017 F3 , Blue

Spyder Garage

Use handgrips and follow the leaning of the driver if they do it on curves.

To driver, take those first curves gently. Try for no "g" force. Your new passenger will appreciate it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Communicate with your passenger about turn, braking, ect. Answer all their questions.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your passenger would probably feel much safer with a backrest. If you don’t have one take off slowly from stops so you don’t launch them.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default backrest

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Your passenger would probably feel much safer with a backrest. If you don’t have one take off slowly from stops so you don’t launch them.
    Yes! My wife rode once and I ordered a backrest. Not in the picture.
    2017 F3 , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Brace yourself: I just stole this P.O.S., and haven't got a clue in Hell how to drive it!

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Mimic the movements of the driver, and look as far down the road as possible, all the time. Relax
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Brace yourself: I just stole this P.O.S., and haven't got a clue in Hell how to drive it!

You are a BAD MAN!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Default My .02

I have stressed to my wife that her being aware of our surroundings is just as important as me. The passenger needs to be prepare for any situation that may arise. With that said my wife had never been on a bike before 2, 3 or 4 wheels and she thoroughly enjoys herself although we do have and RTL I'm sure with a backrest your passenger will feel the same.

Spyder Garage

Default What I told my wife after a few road trips...

Babe try to stay awake
    2016 RTS Special Triple Black, BRP Freedom Trailer, Spyder Pops Rear Lighting Kit, Spyder Pops Full view Turn Signals, Trunk Light, Rivco Highway Pegs. Doc's Spring Tensioners, Trunk Organizer, Magic Mirrors, Foam Grips, back to Stock Windsheild, Lamonsters cat delete, Bajaron sway bar, More Farkles to come !!

Spyder Garage

My bride rode many thousands of miles as a stoker on our tandem bicycle. On her first Spyder ride I told her she should ride the same way but didn't have to pedal. She was grinning all afternoon.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Pay attention

The passenger needs to be aware of what’s coming up at all times just like the driver , same as for 2 wheels .... and yes hang on 👍

Spyder Garage

If they have been a passenger with you on two wheels, warn them up front that the Spyder will appear to want to throw them off far more than bike or car, and to hang on to the grab rails......and as AK says, start off very gently until they are used to the sensation.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

The passenger should hug the driver tightly at all times.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

From MSF: www.msf-usa.org/downloads/Passenger_Tip_Sheet.pdf

Another good page of info: https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/ho...ycle-passenger

From this website:https://www.dmv.org/how-to-guides/moto-passengers.php

Safety Tips for Passengers

Before you carry passengers on your motorcycle, give them a quick safety lesson. Don't assume that your passenger understands what he must do.
    The following tips will help keep your passenger safe:

• He must be tall enough to reach the footrests.
    • He must keep his feet on the footrests at all times.
    • He should keep his legs away from the mufflers, since they can get very hot.
    • She must wear a helmet and other protective gear.
    • She must not turn or make sudden moves that could affect your ability to safely control the motorcycle.
    • She must hold onto your waist or the bike's passenger handholds.
    • If your passenger is heavy, he must brace with his hands against the tank when braking to keep from pushing you over the bars.

When you carry passengers on your motorcycle, they should consider themselves to be second operators. Don't allow someone on your bike who doesn't obey your safety instructions.
    Children should not be carried on a motorcycle without the permission of a parent or legal guardian. Even if the child is wearing the appropriate protective gear and follows all safety recommendations, riding a motorcycle still poses a safety risk. In addition, some states have legal requirements for the minimum age of a passenger on a motorcycle.

If you plan to have someone frequently travel with you on your motorcycle, ask him to complete a basic safety course. Even if he never learns to operate a motorcycle, this course will provide a better understanding of the procedures necessary to avoid accidents while you are riding together.
    Note that all of these emphasize that the rider should have safety training first.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderChris View Post
    What type of advice do/would you give to a passenger riding a Spyder for the first time?
    If it's of the Female variety I say put your arms around me and hold on tight as you can. For the Male variety I say put your hands in your pockets and keep them there

till this thing stops "rocking". It's better to put your face shield down "cause things get pretty blurry above a hundred". Is your life insurance paid up? If it's a Male-don't

wave at Harleys, there a little sensitive to two Males riding together specially in tandem. You would most likely only get the "finger" anyway. If you pass a "Goldwing"

don't wave. they probably would follow us home and want to have a glass of wine with you! Always wave to a Vespa rider. They look up to us and want to be Manly Men

riding on Manly Spyders such as you and my own self. Don't drag your boots if they have "nails" in the Heels. It attracts the LEO's and I don't have a license to operate

this thing.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Yes It's Mine, and no you can't drive it. No matter how cute you are. Or if I should fall asleep just nudge me and i'll wake back up. Or maybe Have you got money for lunch and gas. I spent all mine making the payment on this thing
    Last edited by Two cats; 08-08-2018 at 04:20 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TexAmRider View Post
    Babe try to stay awake
    that's me!!! Lol
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-06-2022 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Expect helmets to clunk. How to Pull themselves down with the grips & how to push with feet. Not hugging driver. *oh ya passenger feel bumps differently
    Last edited by Bfromla; 02-06-2022 at 07:56 PM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

My sweetie is much shorter than me, therefore can't see around me. She complained that I would go into a curve that she wasn't aware of and that it scared her.
    We bought helmets with Sena communicators, now I simply tell her what's coming up.
    She's lovin the ride now!
    Thanks to Motorcycle Dave for setting me up with the Outrush helmets!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-06-2022 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Tha Ms = Thanks ;-)

Spyder Garage

There was a guy in my hometown, they was at a bar, as they were leaving he did a quick launch. she came off the back and hit her head. She died from head trauma.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderChris View Post
    Safety is the utmost factor here. It all starts with the drivers assurances.

First ride should be a nice easy ride, letting the passenger become acquainted with their helmet, positioning of hand grips, body posture, balancing, surroundings, other vehicles, etc. Always remaining vigilant on the open roads, and enjoying what mother nature has provided. Once a comfort and trust level is established between driver and rider, the rides and memories are priceless. Also agree, a back rest is always a plus for 2 up riding, adding a bit more comfort and stability for the passenger. Enjoy the Ride!

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Expect helmets to clunk.

Been there...done that. Like 2 Bowling Balls colliding.

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I found that the passenger on a Spyder has a MUCH more "active participation" role than on a 2-wheeler.

On a 2-wheeler, all forces are pretty much in the vertical plane. Yeah, that 'vertical' plane might tilt every once in a while, but all forces go straight down through the seat to the tires. On a Spyder (or ANY vehicle with more than 2 wheels), the vehicle remains flat and your body gets pushed to the outside of any turns. You have to be much more active in counteracting those forces.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

That is one of the primary reasons I traded my Ryker 900 in on a Spyder RT. There was no way I'd ever get my wife on a bike without a good, substantial backrest to give her peace of mind that she won't do a 1 1/2 somersault off the back.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited