Spyder Garage

Default 2018 Spyder RT Dash question / annoyance.

Hi all,

So far most of my spyder I love. Only three issues - one really minor (want a shorter windshield), one a challenge to find (matching driver floorboards - see other post) and the last main issue - the FM radio on the new dash. It works fine - that's not where my problem is. My problem is I can't get it to stay turned off. If I turn off the FM radio, to me the next time I start my bike it should still be off; but that doesn't seem to be the normal operating procedure. If I leave the bike off long enough (say go into work for the morning) and come out, next time I start the unit, the FM radio is on, and sometimes the volume is through the roof (probably because last time I had my helmet synced and turned on, I had to crank up the volume to hear a phone call), but it seems that the spyder never remembers the FM radio settings. Has anyone else run into this? Anyone know how I can just get it to stay turned off so my right side dash when I start the bike just shows the joystick press for home and up for power on for the radio??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you push the joystick down and hold it the radio or whatever music is playing will go off. I just tried it and turned the bike off, waited for it to shut down then turned it on and the radio was still muted. Now If you're listening to smartphone music and mute that, when you turn the bike on the radio will come on before the smartphone music so it will be on as loud as it was before muting. So, switch to FM and mute before shutting the bike off, or turn the volume down to almost muted and see what happens. Will have to play with it to figure things out. I don't think you can change the way the dash starts and the radio will always be there first.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

earlier models, I had a 14 and now a 17, radio is always on. neat huh?
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    If you push the joystick down and hold it the radio or whatever music is playing will go off. I just tried it and turned the bike off, waited for it to shut down then turned it on and the radio was still muted. Now If you're listening to smartphone music and mute that, when you turn the bike on the radio will come on before the smartphone music so it will be on as loud as it was before muting. So, switch to FM and mute before shutting the bike off, or turn the volume down to almost muted and see what happens. Will have to play with it to figure things out. I don't think you can change the way the dash starts and the radio will always be there first.

That's what I've been doing to get it to turn off, but it still comes back on. For me, it's not a matter of caring that the FM radio is the default audio, it's that it keeps being turned back on. I turned it off again yesterday after it came on at full volume as I was leaving work (even tho I had shut it off at lunch). It should stay turned off and mine tends not to. My work is so close to my home I never listen to anything (by the time I'd have it all where I wanted it I'd be at work) so I'm constantly having to turn it off.

Spyder Garage

If you get the cluster upgraded to Ver. 13.20 this should correct that problem.

This is a BRP Warranty Bulletin # 2018-0004, take your Spyder to your dealer and get the cluster upgraded, there is no charge to the customer, BRP pays the dealer for the upgrade. Be sure your dealer reads the warranty Bulletin from BRP # 2018-0004 so that he understands the setup and has the needed parts.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

That's easier said then done Cruzr Joe - if you check my post in the thread about the update to the dash, BRP seems to tell me there is no update and my dealer is unaware of an update so I'm kinda screwed on it atm. Supposedly BRP also did a search based upon my vin claiming I didn't have any recalls for my unit. My dash is at 12.2.

Is there somewhere I can look to reference to point people to this? BRP when I spoke with them made a claim that the "warranty bulletin" was tied to a specific vehicle (which made no sense to me - I mean I understand any vehicle needing a given piece of work being done get associated with a given bulletin, but not a separate bulletin per vehicle - but I didn't want to be a jerk on the phone so I let it go)
    Last edited by nethfel; 08-07-2018 at 11:33 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nethfel View Post
    That's easier said then done Cruzr Joe - if you check my post in the thread about the update to the dash, BRP seems to tell me there is no update and my dealer is unaware of an update so I'm kinda screwed on it atm. Supposedly BRP also did a search based upon my vin claiming I didn't have any recalls for my unit. My dash is at 12.2.

Is there somewhere I can look to reference to point people to this? BRP when I spoke with them made a claim that the "warranty bulletin" was tied to a specific vehicle (which made no sense to me - I mean I understand any vehicle needing a given piece of work being done get associated with a given bulletin, but not a separate bulletin per vehicle - but I didn't want to be a jerk on the phone so I let it go)

The BRP Warranty Bulletin # 2018-0004 (PUT OUT BY BRP) is for all 2018 Spyders with the LED DISPLAY. Which includes all 2018 RTs, RTLs, F3Ts and F3Ls.

Have your dealer look up BRP WARRANTY BULLETIN # 2018-0004.

Now you have the Warranty Bulletin # put out by BRP

This is a warranty Bulletin NOT a RECALL.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

I'll try again. I know when I said warranty bulletin, the lady at BRP went straight to recall so hopefully maybe I can get someone else next time I call. I put another call into my dealership and am waiting to hear back.

Spyder Garage

I'll try again. I know when I said warranty bulletin, the lady at BRP went straight to recall so hopefully maybe I can get someone else next time I call. I put another call into my dealership and am waiting to hear back.

The info is available to them, many dealers have already done this update so they must be able to access it

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

Default Radio on

Yep, same problem. Radio comes on just about every time. Had the 12.2 update, still doing it. Sometimes volume comes on at max, sometimes very low. But when i turn the radio off i expect it to stay OFF until i turn it on which is mostly never. Scheduled for the 13.2 update next week. However thats not the only dash problem i have. The instant mpg seems to work correctly, the average mpg freezes, usually on a high number ie 50 or 70 mpg. Sometimes it works, most of the time not.

Spyder Garage

Right now dare I say you're lucky. I'm still waiting to hear back from my dealership about even finding the warranty bulletin (they wouldn't take the identifier number from me over the phone, all they would take was my vin number and said they would call me back)...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm thinking that you need to find a new dealer...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Hello @nethfel, Please send us an email to brp.care@brp.com, we would be happy to investigate this for you and see if your Spyder is able to get an update. Thanks, Stephanie - BRPcare
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team