Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default How Much Trouble Am I In?

The last time or two I refueled the seat release did not release easily. I looked at it and did not see any adjustment on the release. I had a real hard time Saturday but managed to get the seat open and gassed up. When I got home I tried it again and could not release the seat. I only live 2 miles from Coyote Powersports (closed Mondays) which is a good thing and have a full tank of gas. I was just wondering how much trouble I am in getting the release adjusted. Thanks.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

2 years ago I had the same problem, I unscrewed the post and now the seat opens freely (doesn't lock) and have had no issues.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi George!
    This is a pretty easy fix; it shouldn't take them more than fifteen minutes!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Yep, it's likely either loose bolts at the hinge or the post itself has loosened enough to move enough to be jammed.
    You actually might be able to push the seat forward or back while trying to open it and get it to release.
    Several folks here have developed an alternate manual release.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default Seat post alignment to latch....

I believe the seat post is adjustable. Just loosen the seat post and move it slightly forward (or backwards) to better align with the latch. Hope that helps you! I would think moving it forward slightly (it doesn't take much: 1/16" - 1/8") will provide more clearance for the moving part of the latching mechanism.....
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 08-06-2018 at 01:19 PM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

It is posable that the cable and it's sleeve have corroded and are binding. Replace cable and sleeve. Been there got a T-shirt.
    Ride safe,
    Roger
    2014 ST-L

Spyder Garage

Default seat stud

you will sleep so much better while on vacation if you take that stud under the seat.off and throw it away.this is my second spyder and i did the same to it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default There's been a number of posts about this.....

Try pushing down on the seat while trying to unlatch it. There's many posts on this problem so do a search and you'll find answers. One post had photos where the poster pulled back the lower right front portion of the seat and exposed the latch and showed how to make it release. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Removed my post three years ago no worries.

Spyder Garage

I just zip-tied the release mechanism back so that the latch becomes "bypassed", but the post still rests where it should to keep the seat aligned. literally a 2 minute DIY fix.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks to all for your fixes. When I get it open, the latch is gone! Later.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

The seat latch / pin is adjustable. Easy to do.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    I just zip-tied the release mechanism back so that the latch becomes "bypassed", but the post still rests where it should to keep the seat aligned. literally a 2 minute DIY fix.
    that's what I did when ours messed up. Just zip tied it open. And the pin keeps the seat where it should be.
    Last edited by Two cats; 08-07-2018 at 10:51 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyspyder View Post
    2 years ago I had the same problem, I unscrewed the post and now the seat opens freely (doesn't lock) and have had no issues.

FIXED. I went to my Spyder tech a few minutes before opening time. It took him 2.4 minutes to: A) open the seat and remove the post. B) Tighten the loose bolts in the back of the seat which seemed to cause the problem. I had him remove the post and I kept it if I decide to put it back on. Problem solved. Thanks to all for your suggestions, all good.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA