Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Safety Gear

Spyder Garage

Default Safety Gear

I notice that Spyder riders do not wear all the safety gear a motor cycle rider would wear. I see helmets, but jackets, gloves, etc. Do you guys all wear safety gear?
    Jim

Spyder Garage

ATGATT!!!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

From our motorcycle days, we already had boots, Kevlar pants with kneepads and hi-viz jackets with armor in back, shoulders and elbows to go with hi-viz full-face helmets. Since it cost us nothing more after we bought the Spyder, we continue to use that gear. ATGATT as they say. The Spyder is probably safer than a motorcycle, but I could still make a driving error and we're still going to be on the losing side if some other idiot hits us. Others can do as they like, but we like the feeling that if we do get thrown off, we've got a little something to protect us. Once you've seen what happens to someone who gets thrown off and skids down the highway without proper gear, you tend to want to make sure that doesn't happen to you.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

I also agree with ATGATT. All The Gear, All The Time.

The Spyder is called safer by many. Less chance of dropping it, and more controllable (VSS). Any accident that causes an ejection is going to take a toll. You never know when CRAP may happen.

I don't totally gear up like the Michelen Man. I do wear helmet, gloves, jacket, boots, and mostly Kevlar jeans. Trying to avoid road rash if bad things happen.

And of course, we drive as defensive as possible. Expect the unexpected--it can and does happen.

What gear level you use, is your choice.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Huh?

You mean like these motor cycle riders?

Some spyder riders wear Aerostitch R3 suits even, you just haven't seen them yet.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Or this one?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

My wife and I often pose for some of our shots, and hidden behind us is our riding jackets, helmets, and gloves.
    So the pictures often don't show all of our gear.
    Though I've ridden into town for some milk and eggs in a short sleeved shirt, shorts, and sneakers. Never got over 30mph, not dressing for a long ride, watching for cages.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    Do you guys all wear safety gear?
    Jim

YES !
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I normally have at minimum helmet, gloves, jeans or chaps. Usually a riding jacket or summer armored jacket. I do admit I have sometimes just had a tshirt on when it was in the 90's+

Spyder Garage

I notice that Spyder riders do not wear all the safety gear a motor cycle rider would wear. I see helmets, but jackets, gloves, etc. Do you guys all wear safety gear?
    Jim
    Yes. I've already had my lifetime quota of road rash, and I'm pretty sure I'd have died 30 years ago if I hadn't been wearing a helmet when a little old lady "didn't see" me at an intersection.

I'll buy that a Spyder is somewhat safer than a two-wheeler, but it ain't all that much safer.
    current ryde: 2017 RT-S

previous bikes:
    1975 Yamaha RD 200, 1978 Honda CX 500, 1980 Yamaha SR 500, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ 550,
    2005 Suzuki V-Strom 650, 2006 Yamaha FJR 1300, 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650LT
    2017 RT-S , bronze

Spyder Garage

I always wear a helmet of some sort, but admittedly, I sometimes go without all the other stuff, especially when it's 90*F.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Call me chicken....

Call me chicken..... but I wear armored clothes and boots while riding, I have had first hand
    experience with hitting the road while riding my motorcycle. I have been riding since I was 14
    I am now 76 I had my get off when I was 70, before that it was t-shirts light boots, light jacket if it's cold
    after the crash when the drunk driver ran me down.... I wear the safety stuff every time.....
    Ride safe, and protected
    Dave
    Jim

Spyder Garage

I've noticed as well that many Spyder riders wear little or no protective gear beyond a helmet (since helmets are required in my state). I also agree that Spyders are more stable and you're less likely to come off, HOWEVER, if/when you do come off it, you're not going to be any better off having come off a Spyder than a motorcycle.

Knowing that, I'm an ATGATT guy, if the day comes I meet pavement, I want to minimize the consequences.

Spyder Garage

Jim
    Yes.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My wife and I rode 270 miles Friday with a high temperature of 94° and fairly high humidity. We both wore our helmets, mine a full face modular and hers a 3/4, our mesh jackets with body armor, leather gloves and boots. Only heavy jeans, don't have riding pants.......yet.

I rode our Spyder to the gas station to fill up before we left for ten blocks total with a top speed of 25 MPH sans gloves, helmet, jacket and gloves. I felt naked! It was not a normal or good feeling at all!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wear the same stuff as I do on two wheels: Helmet, jacket, gloves, riding pants / riding jeans, boots. I did do a milk run once in t-shirt, shorts and sneakers - boy did I feel the heat from the engine! Nope, never again.

About the only thing I won't wear on the Spyder is my racing leathers, that would look stupid.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

I just switch to KLIM GEAR IT HAS D30 ARMOUR IN ALL THE RIGHT PLACES AND IS WATER PROOF WITH GORE-TEX EVEN MY BOOTS THE OUTLAND GTX HAS D30 BUILT INTO THE BOOT. HELMET THE SHOIE NEOTECH 2
    BAJARON SWAY BAR PLUS LINKS
    BAJARON SPACER
    ULTIMATE SEAT WITH GAS DOOR
    JT SHELF BAR
    SPYDERFLAP
    BUMPSKID
    XM RADIO
    POWER OUTLET
    LAMONSTER CUP HOLDER
    2015 RT LIMITED
    PIN STRIPPING BY MACK THE KNIFE
    RIVCO FLAG HOLDER
    SENA SM10 BLUE TOOTH
    LAMONSTER FBB HIGHWAY BRACKET WING BOARD BLK
    BPR TRAILER HITCH
    KRADELLOCK FOR THE GPS
    BIG BRAKE PEDAL BY TRICLED

Spyder Garage

IMG_3415.jpg
    To each their own HELMET every time the rest is weather permitting comfort. If you can't be comfortable riding it's just as dangerous as no gear, so find what works please nothing that might scare or distract other drivers. (Bareback & THONG)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default ATGATT

I always wear:

ARAI full face
    Held kangaroo leather gloves with carbon fiber knuckles

If I am doing highway:

Aerostich one-piece suit
    Almost knee-high boots

If only around town or country roads:

BMW Summer jacket with back, shoulder and elbow protectors
    Jeand with knee pads or dedicated motorcycle pants with hip and knee protection
    At least ankle high boots

and I wear all the time on top of this my HELITE air vest. I also wear ear plugs all the time.

This ATGATT is warm but sweat dries faster than blood heals.

I had a crash several years ago wearing the one-piece Aerostich and although I broke a collarbone and five ribs, I didn't have a single drop of blood or skin rash.

I bought the HELITE air vest this year after my son told me he was buying a bike and I realized I was concerned for him so I figured my wife and son must be concerned for me.

I paddle kayaks in cold water and always dress for the water temp and not the ambient temp. I think it's just a matter of where one chooses to spend money and the risks they are ready to take. To me riding a motorcycle is risky enough, I don't need to amplify the issue if something happens.

Safe riding all!
    Last edited by jbim; 08-06-2018 at 07:56 PM.
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

91 degrees yesterday and ATGATT with cooling vest

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

ATGATT!

ATGATT 02.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

In my area, I see more safety gear on Spyder riders than I do on most Harley, and crotch rocket riders. I have yet to see a person on a Spyder, in a tank top, shorts, and sandals. I'll see Harley riders dressed like that all day.

Spyder Garage

We wear in accordance with what the weather is doing. If its hot it's mostly fingerless gloves, tee shirts, jeans and sneakers. If its gotten cool then it long finger gloves, jeans, boots, and jackets and yes helmets. Almost forgot that part.. Don't like being to hot or to cold. But just right.

Spyder Garage

Default Riding gear

Agree with TWO CATS, only here in central Florida i seldom wear a jacket and if i do its a mesh one. Summer temps most of the time over 90 degrees. Been riding two wheels for 52 years, now on an F3 Limited for a couple of months i have not changed the way i dress. However, always helmeted and sometimes tactical boots.

Spyder Garage
    Last edited by WA5VHU; 08-08-2018 at 09:06 PM.
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller