Spyder Garage

Default Brake Controller Questions

Just got the TimeOut Deluxe with the added electric brakes. The dealer installed the brakes with a separate 2 pin plug for the brake circuit. Any ideas where I can mount the Brake controller on a 2016 RTL. Already have installed the plug & play harness from Can-Am Accessories (Pierre) which takes care of the lights. Biggest problem I see is finding a mounting location for the controller. ANY IDEAS?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mjhitman View Post
    Just got the TimeOut Deluxe with the added electric brakes. The dealer installed the brakes with a separate 2 pin plug for the brake circuit. Any ideas where I can mount the Brake controller on a 2016 RTL. Already have installed the plug & play harness from Can-Am Accessories (Pierre) which takes care of the lights. Biggest problem I see is finding a mounting location for the controller. ANY IDEAS?
    First question. How does the brake controller work, off the bike brake light circuit, or is it inertia operated?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    First question. How does the brake controller work, off the bike brake light circuit, or is it inertia operated?
    It is a Tekonsha VoyagerŪ Electronic Brake Control, for 1 to 4 Axle Trailers, Proportional. It is activated via the brake light circuit with a sensor inside which increases braking force in proportion to the intensity of the stopping force generated by the tow vehicle. It has to be mounted in the direction of travel in a 90 degree angle ranging from -20 to +70 degrees. I hope this helps.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mjhitman View Post
    It is a Tekonsha VoyagerŪ Electronic Brake Control, for 1 to 4 Axle Trailers, Proportional. It is activated via the brake light circuit with a sensor inside which increases braking force in proportion to the intensity of the stopping force generated by the tow vehicle. It has to be mounted in the direction of travel in a 90 degree angle ranging from -20 to +70 degrees. I hope this helps.
    See if you can fit it under the removable panel under the left side of the seat. Or maybe even on top of that panel under the seat. Another possibility would be just in front of one of the saddle bags where a CB or Sirius receiver would be installed.

From reading the instructions it looks like once the adjustments are set you won't need to mess with them. If you put it in either of the two spots above you would need to make your test runs with some of the tupperware removed. That's no big deal. Regardless of where you put it you're going to have to fabricate some sort of bracket support. I don't know of any place on the Spyder where you can simply fasten the bracket that comes with it.

I'd suggest mounting it in the trailer but the ride might be too rough for it.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 08-05-2018 at 07:09 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

See if you can fit it under the removable panel under the left side of the seat. Or maybe even on top of that panel under the seat. Another possibility would be just in front of one of the saddle bags where a CB or Sirius receiver would be installed.

From reading the instructions it looks like once the adjustments are set you won't need to mess with them. If you put it in either of the two spots above you would need to make your test runs with some of the tupperware removed. That's no big deal. Regardless of where you put it you're going to have to fabricate some sort of bracket support. I don't know of any place on the Spyder where you can simply fasten the bracket that comes with it.

All of the locations that you suggested are preferable and if they have clearance, should be doable. Unfortunately a new work week is upon us and will have to wait until time permits. Will keep you posted on what I find out. As you stated, trailer mounting has its own set of problems, i.e.: water exposure, rough ride, location, etc. I do have another question though, where do I tap into the brake circuit to activate the controller? After the brake switch or can I just utilize one of the brake light leads?

Spyder Garage

Thank you for your response. All of the locations that you suggested are preferable and if they have clearance and should be doable. Unfortunately a new work week is upon us and will have to wait until time permits. Will keep you posted on what I find out. As you stated, trailer mounting has its own set of problems, i.e.: water exposure, rough ride, location, etc. I do have another question though, where do I tap into the brake circuit to activate the controller? After the brake switch or can I just utilize one of the brake light leads? Also I was thinking that possibly in the space where the battery was located in earlier year models might be a solution, just wondering.