Spyder Garage

Default My Spyder replacement

Not a new one but back on 2 wheels again. One day planning on going back to 3 wheels but not the two in the back. I will probably put a kit on this bike in a couple years. Like I said not leaving the forum just don't ride a Spyder any more.
    DavidGW1.jpgGW2.jpgGW3.jpg

Spyder Garage

I would be riding a Goldwing if I wasn't riding a Spyder! Enjoy! So when you convert it which kit are your going with? I think the tilting conversion would be one that I would look at. Nice bike you have though!
    USAF MSgt, Retired
    2018 F3 Intense Red
    Squared Away Lasar alignment, TricLED Headlights, Foglights,Safety Bundle with Turn Module, BajaRon Sway Bar,Squared Away Mirror Wedges, Stebel Air Horn, Dash Turn Indicators, TricLED USA Flag
    2018 F3L , Intense Red

Spyder Garage

Nice Wing. Mine is an 06 in white. I sold the Spyder to a neighbor so I still get a 3 wheel fix when I want it but leaning in the corners is where it's at for now.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rtotten View Post
    I would be riding a Goldwing if I wasn't riding a Spyder! Enjoy! So when you convert it which kit are your going with? I think the tilting conversion would be one that I would look at. Nice bike you have though!
    They have several on the market. I like the Sturgis kit but it is high. I like the tilting motorworks, Hannigan has a nice one and then there is the Endeavor kit. I got time to think about it while I save my money up.
    David

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fjray View Post
    Nice Wing. Mine is an 06 in white. I sold the Spyder to a neighbor so I still get a 3 wheel fix when I want it but leaning in the corners is where it's at for now.
    The white ones are clear looking. Got a buddy that has a 08 white one. I have several buddies that rides Spyders so I can ride whenever I feel the need. I do all their maintenance for them.
    David

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's a real nice-looking "leaner"!
    I hope that it brings you lots of "Miles & Smiles"!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Looks sharp!
    Enjoy it!!!
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Congrats on the Wing

Congrats on your Gold Wing! Nice looking bike.

We ride both our 2014 RT Limited (around 50,000 miles on it) and our 2015 Gold Wing Anniversary Edition (only 15,000 miles on it). Looks like I need to ride the Wing a little more based on the mileage! LOL.

Both GREAT bikes. Enjoy your 2 wheeler and safe travels.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jim&Teresa View Post
    Congrats on your Gold Wing! Nice looking bike.

We ride both our 2014 RT Limited (around 50,000 miles on it) and our 2015 Gold Wing Anniversary Edition (only 15,000 miles on it). Looks like I need to ride the Wing a little more based on the mileage! LOL.

Both GREAT bikes. Enjoy your 2 wheeler and safe travels.....
    That is a sharp looking Wing

Spyder Garage

Default congratulations....🎉🎉🎉

Nice ride, enjoy it and will be looking forward to your conversion when you decide to do it....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    They have several on the market. I like the Sturgis kit but it is high. I like the tilting motorworks, Hannigan has a nice one and then there is the Endeavor kit. I got time to think about it while I save my money up.
    Here's my experience, for what it's worth! I had a 2005 Goldwing that I bought new in 2006, and decided to look at triking it back in 2013. There were no reverse trike conversions available then, although Bob Mighell of TMW was working on one the for the GW. My plan was to buy a wrecked 'wing trike and take the conversion off of it and put it on my bike. What I found was it was going to cost on the order of $7000 to buy a wrecked 'wing, a grand or so to have it shipped to me, another grand to change the front fork to a raked one, and $1000 to $2000 to paint the conversion part to match. Add to that hours and hours of work, and the value of my Goldwing at about $13000. In the end I would have had about $23,000 plus invested(?) in the trike. I decided to see what I could find in a Spyder. I bought a 2013 base RT with 615 miles on it for $14,000 plus $1000 shipping from Wisconsin to Idaho in November, 2013. I had my three wheels in a machine built from ground up to be 3 wheels for about $8000 less than converting my Goldwing. A new conversion kit would have been about $5000 + more. In that comparison I saved about $13,000 buying the Spyder. I have no idea what I may have recovered by parting out and selling parts off of the wrecked GW.

I mention all this just to show how the economics of conversion compare to buying a new or near new Spyder. I'm not saying that converting a GW is a bad idea, but it is a choice that you should study critically when the time comes.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Here's my experience, for what it's worth! I had a 2005 Goldwing that I bought new in 2006, and decided to look at triking it back in 2013. There were no reverse trike conversions available then, although Bob Mighell of TMW was working on one the for the GW. My plan was to buy a wrecked 'wing trike and take the conversion off of it and put it on my bike. What I found was it was going to cost on the order of $7000 to buy a wrecked 'wing, a grand or so to have it shipped to me, another grand to change the front fork to a raked one, and $1000 to $2000 to paint the conversion part to match. Add to that hours and hours of work, and the value of my Goldwing at about $13000. In the end I would have had about $23,000 plus invested(?) in the trike. I decided to see what I could find in a Spyder. I bought a 2013 base RT with 615 miles on it for $14,000 plus $1000 shipping from Wisconsin to Idaho in November, 2013. I had my three wheels in a machine built from ground up to be 3 wheels for about $8000 less than converting my Goldwing. A new conversion kit would have been about $5000 + more. In that comparison I saved about $13,000 buying the Spyder. I have no idea what I may have recovered by parting out and selling parts off of the wrecked GW.

I mention all this just to show how the economics of conversion compare to buying a new or near new Spyder. I'm not saying that converting a GW is a bad idea, but it is a choice that you should study critically when the time comes.

Very good points, but there is another factor that he might be considering …………

Dealer network...……. A lot of dealers For Spyders are awful. Parts sometimes take weeks to arrive (hardly any parts stocked at dealers) and the service department always seem to put Spyders on the back burner to fix jet skis, boats and snowmobiles. I've heard of horror stories of months to get their Spyders fixed.

These machines don't exactly have the best reputation for dependability especially in new model and updated years. How much is that worth to you ???????

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    These machines don't exactly have the best reputation for dependability especially in new model and updated years. How much is that worth to you ???????
    For me, not enough to keep me from buying a Spyder!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default smart move

I'm planning on going back to a Honda Goldwing also when I finally decide to get rid of the spyder. GOOD MOVE!!!

Spyder Garage

All good points. I'm ahead of the game so to speak. I made enough on selling my Spyder to pay cash for the Wing. The conversions may run me at top $11000.00 but will probably be closer to 10. Unless something really goes wrong with the Wing 200,000 miles is very doable. But then again I have time to study and make the choice. I like the Sturgis kit but way too expensive. Looking into the Hannigan and Endeavor. Some doesn't like the looks of the Endeavor, but beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. So hoping in a couple years may be doing it. Will see how my health holds up. As long as I can ride 2 wheels I will stay there. Will not hesitate to convert it if needed. As long as I can get wind therapy.
    David

Spyder Garage

Good choice,

I have the Spyder for the wife to ride, but I love my wing .....

2013 F6B
    2016 F3 Ltd
    2016 F3 LTD , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Triking a Wing is on the expensive side. Many are waiting for GW to come with a "factory" version of a trike. If and when that happens, there will be a large rush for the item.

I have heard that Honda does not honor the warranty if a Wing has been triked. The dealer up here (AK) will not even work on trikes.

Many are in the wait and see mode. The first major brand that comes up with a trike (like we want) will have killer sales on them. There are now 100,000 plus Spyders out there. How many riders will jump to another brand?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I have heard that Honda does not honor the warranty if a Wing has been triked. The dealer up here (AK) will not even work on trikes.
    Just like mounting car tires I think it's largely a dealer to dealer issue. From what I've heard Honda will warranty everything on the bike that is OEM. Our local Honda dealer will work on a trike except for the conversion part. For that they send the trike to the local trike dealer/installer. But in many, if not most, cases a GW doesn't get triked until the original warranty has run out, or is close to running out, which makes the Honda warranty a moot issue.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    All good points. I'm ahead of the game so to speak. I made enough on selling my Spyder to pay cash for the Wing. The conversions may run me at top $11000.00 but will probably be closer to 10. Unless something really goes wrong with the Wing 200,000 miles is very doable. But then again I have time to study and make the choice. I like the Sturgis kit but way too expensive. Looking into the Hannigan and Endeavor. Some doesn't like the looks of the Endeavor, but beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. So hoping in a couple years may be doing it. Will see how my health holds up. As long as I can ride 2 wheels I will stay there. Will not hesitate to convert it if needed. As long as I can get wind therapy.
    David
    FYI, if you haven't see it before here is my discussion of reverse trikes as I saw them at Wing Ding in Billings, MT two years ago. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...Reverse-Trikes

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

I traded my 2005 GoldWing on the RTL , should have kept the wing . The spyder has some good things going for it like it will not fall over ,the ride is better than the wing, the wife is more comfy on the back of the spyder than the wing. Are highways here in the north ( Ontario Canada ) are BAD ,and my spyder just does not handle well on these highways as it flops from side to side and is a real hand full to control .I have been on the 400 highways running at 140 kph and it is fine other than real bad belt vibration . To get a lazer alignment i would have to drive 6 hrs to Barrie . A bajaron's sway bar in the USA is $ 288 ,in Canada $ 458 plus 13% tax . I paid enough for the bike i expect it to be at least drivable .

AS for the posts above ,yes the wing sales are way down here ,but HD sales are way up .Most everyone i ride with is on a HD Ultra, including are son .

I am not new to bikes as i have had at least one in the garage since 1967 ,when i got my bike license . I just wish this spyder would handle better .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

FYI, if you haven't see it before here is my discussion of reverse trikes as I saw them at Wing Ding in Billings, MT two years ago. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...Reverse-Trikes
    Good write up. I would love to ride one and see how I like it. Spending that kind of money and hoping you like it not my cup of tea. So I am hoping I can find someone with the Goldwing reverse kit and take a ride on it. I have have been following TMW since day one. Have talked with him on the phone years ago and almost carried my Valkyrie to him to see if he could fit one on it.
    David

Spyder Garage

Default replacement

Why don't you keep Spider and got another two wheel, I have both spider and VStar 950, Enjoy ride both

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hobbykim View Post
    Why don't you keep Spider and got another two wheel, I have both spider and VStar 950, Enjoy ride both
    Spyder is already gone. I use to keep 2 to 3 bikes, but now just down to one. Looking ahead for a motor home and either tow a small car or bike. Depends on what we are planning the trip for.
    David