Spyder Garage

Default Are the Paddle Shifters on the handle bars adjustable

Was wondering if the paddle shifters on the handlebars on the RT are adjustable forward for short thumbed people Compared 2 RTs today and one paddle shifter was up closer than the one on the other RT... Sales person didnt know and there was no mechanic there today to ask.....Just curious thats all

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 RT-S owner

As far as I know there's no adjustment for the paddle shifter.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No adjustment is available for them.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

No.
    I have replaced mine twice and they fit where they fit and that is it.

(kinda poetic, ain't it?)

Spyder Garage

I think Mike, blueknight911, made some kind of adapter for his paddle shifter. You might try double sticky back taping a small piece of rubber heel or sole from a cobbler to the upshift tab. Once you get it to a comfortable size you could glue it onto the tab.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can build them up with almost anything that'll stick to them.

But why would you need to?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You can build them up with almost anything that'll stick to them.

But why would you need to?
    Refer to post #1.

The hardware store sells stick on rubber bumpers in various sizes and thicknesses that work good for things like this.
    They may not stay stuck forever but if you get a package of them you have several spares.

Spyder Garage

I was blessed by Mike with one of his paddle shifter thumb pads and really like it. As in most Spyder farkles, it's a matter of personal preference for some, necessity for others.
    Mike handcrafted his to fit the entire face of the thumb side of the shifter and then angled the face your thumb rests on to "fit" your thumb. Covered it in a real leather face..
    I used 3M automotive trim double-sided mounting tape and it's held on through months of riding and many hours of monsoon like rains.

Bob, BECAUSE I WANT TO....
    Last edited by DGoebel; 08-04-2018 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Changed Leatherlike V... to Leather
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Yes you can

Actually you can make an adjustment. It just requires and small amount of mechanical ability. Most likely your controls were not assembled correctly. On the back side of the handlebars, remove the 4 screws holding the access panel(a 3mm allen or T15 torx will work). Then inside you will see 4 gold-colored screws that hold the round bar that the controls are mounted on. Loosen those screws then rotate the controls to where they are comfortable and re-tighten. I just went out and verified this and I can turn them almost a 1/8 turn and can make the paddle shifter much closer. NOW YOU KNOW THE REST OF THE STORY. I will try to post a video.
    Last edited by Joel The Biker; 08-04-2018 at 01:24 PM.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Ya beat me too it Joel. Good for you. As Joel just said just rotate the controls

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I knew there had to be someone out there that knew it could be done also. Many people never try, so they just dont know the real answer. here is a picture of the screws to loosen.
    IMGP0025.jpgIMGP0024.jpg
    Last edited by Joel The Biker; 08-04-2018 at 01:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

I get how that works, but if all the other hand controls are in the correct position, rotating the cluster would now move them to a longer reach.... The Spyder SE shifter Thumbpad that Blueknight911 Mike developed allows you to keep the cluster orientation as it is and make the Thumbpad of the shifter easier to utilize.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you rotate it like I show in the video. The other controls move a little, but the thumb shifter moves much more because it is further away from the pivot point. The other controls will not be greatly affected. I currently have mine rotated with the thumb shifter as close as possible and all the controls are easily accessible. My thumb is very happy.
    Last edited by Joel The Biker; 08-04-2018 at 05:56 PM.

Spyder Garage

Yes, of course, you're right, forgive me for offering any alternative to your way. Sorry Joel.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default Thumbs UP

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    Actually you can make an adjustment. It just requires and small amount of mechanical ability. Most likely your controls were not assembled correctly. On the back side of the handlebars, remove the 4 screws holding the access panel(a 3mm allen or T15 torx will work). Then inside you will see 4 gold-colored screws that hold the round bar that the controls are mounted on. Loosen those screws then rotate the controls to where they are comfortable and re-tighten. I just went out and verified this and I can turn them almost a 1/8 turn and can make the paddle shifter much closer. NOW YOU KNOW THE REST OF THE STORY. I will try to post a video.
    Thumbs Up(pun intended) Thanks for the tip

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    I knew there had to be someone out there that knew it could be done also. Many people never try, so they just dont know the real answer. here is a picture of the screws to loosen.
    IMGP0025.jpgIMGP0024.jpg
    The real answer actually is that BRP never intended for there to be any adjustments made... They just underestimated the resourcefulness of some folks!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ok Bob. You actually seem to know what the intentions of the engineers was and how they designed it. I bet not! Geez, some people cant deal with the fact that someone knows more than them. Here is a photo to show that some adjustability was designed into the parts. Otherwise the hole would be round and fit the "bump" tighter.
    IMGP0026.jpg
    Last edited by Joel The Biker; 08-05-2018 at 09:54 AM.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

with Joel! When I installed the Tri-Axis bar I had to determine what the best rotational position for the grip/control assembly needed to be.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)