Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder Owner with some ?'s

Hey everyone, just wanted to pop in and say Hi as I recently picked up a New (to me) 2008 Spyder GS SM5.
    Thus far I have replaced the Y pipe gaskets and vacuum lines because it was roasting my legs and running like crap in the city.

I do have a couple of questions however.

The first being: What dealers would you guys recommend for service in SE MI. I have Dee's Marine right around the corner here but I don't find many reviews on their techs and whether or not they are fair on pricing.
    I can do a lot on my own but some of the big stuff and electrical i dont like to touch.

Second: Tonight on my ride I finally got to take it out on the freeway and I notice at about 5000-5500 RPM i get some NASTY vibration in the pegs and bars, is this to the belt or perhaps unbalanced tires?
    If i go to about 6-7k the vibration speeds up and you dont feel it as bad but its still there, I plan to get a vibration dampener at some point but is there anything else I can check in the meantime?

Lastly I'd just like to thank this forum for the awesome advice, I probably spent a good month or so researching and reading the How-To's etc before i even bought the Spyder and then even more once I got it home to tinker with.

Dave
    2008 Spyder GS SM5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wink

Welcome - my first spyder was 09 RS.

Two suggestions
    If it's been sitting for a while or just old tyres, I'd say that could be the cause
    Strongly recommend laser alignment

Ok three lol
    Could be belt adjustment - the vibration dampeners weren't a "thing" back in the gs/Rs day so I'd personally put that last on this list.

Lok forward to a picture

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NEWBIE -YEA

Quote Originally Posted by dmaison View Post
    Hey everyone, just wanted to pop in and say Hi as I recently picked up a New (to me) 2008 Spyder GS SM5.
    Thus far I have replaced the Y pipe gaskets and vacuum lines because it was roasting my legs and running like crap in the city.

The first being: What dealers would you guys recommend for service in SE MI. I have Dee's Marine right around the corner here but I don't find many reviews on their techs and whether or not they are fair on pricing.
    I can do a lot on my own but some of the big stuff and electrical i dont like to touch.

Second: Tonight on my ride I finally got to take it out on the freeway and I notice at about 5000-5500 RPM i get some NASTY vibration in the pegs and bars, is this to the belt or perhaps unbalanced tires?
    If i go to about 6-7k the vibration speeds up and you dont feel it as bad but its still there, I plan to get a vibration dampener at some point but is there anything else I can check in the meantime?

Lastly I'd just like to thank this forum for the awesome advice, I probably spent a good month or so researching and reading the How-To's etc before i even bought the Spyder and then even more once I got it home to tinker with.

Dave
    ... ...... I cured my Belt Vibes by loosening ( to 160lbs using the KritKit gauge ) the Drive belt.... If you don't have that gauge yet BAJARON sells them ..... " Un-balanced tires are discovered via MPH not Revs " ... at 5000 to 5500 rpm's in first gear you are going about 35mph ....that's too low to tell about un- balanced tires.....The front wheels can be speed balanced by any place that does car tires.... but you usually have to bring them in, a lot of places won't go near a Spyder..... but the wheels are very similar to Honda car wheels ....... good luck ...keep us posted ........... and PS Do Not use OIL designated " SM " it will ruin your clutch ... PPS read the " Do's and Do Not's " on the General Forum ....... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dmaison View Post

Dave

Spyder Garage

You may want to pick up a copy of the service manual. They are available in pdf form for about $25. Part of the package should be a flat rate manual that shows how much time a dealer should charge for every repair, helps to keep them honest.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome, welcome 👍

To both the spyder world and this awesome site. Congrats on your new ryde Looks like they got you covered with all that information above. Enjoy the miles of smiles and the Rock Star image...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The previous owner was kind enough to give me a copy of the service manual on a flash drive.

I will have to get one of those belt tension testers from Ron as soon as funds allow as well as a swaybar.
    The tires were just replaced last season and have about 2k miles on them per previous owner but they are the OEM brand and from what i hear they are kinda garbage.

In the meantime ill have to bum tools from friends to check that belt tension because ill bet its too tight as the service manual appears to be an older one before they changed the belt tension specs.

Thanks for the advice :-)
    2008 Spyder GS SM5