Spyder Garage

Default BAJA RON SHOCK ADJUSTER ?'s

someone had posted a tutorial on installing the adjusters with pics just lately.
    be darned if i can find it or maybe i dreamed it. either way does anyone have a link to it?
    thank you for any help.
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

Default post #2

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...adjuster+video

It's the one I followed to do mine. Not a bad project to do really.

Spyder Garage

Default Actual Video Link

https://youtu.be/d2sOACUyYjo

Here is the actual video link. It is pretty well done. This install takes some time but most people don't have too much trouble with it.

The bottom line is, I get a lot of very positive feedback from this mod. I still highly recommend doing the sway bar first. But with that done, these Shock Adjusters are really the frosting on the cake. Greatly reduces or eliminates bottoming out. Gives you even more control in curves, crosswinds and when passing large trucks on the Interstate. Being able to adjust your spring pre-load is a great feature.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I'll be ordering these soon, just wondering if removing the Frunk makes this easier on a '13.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

From my July 2015 post - hope it's helpful: Just installed - front shock adjusters
    The install was very easy and Ron's directions were "great" as normal. I also got a few hints from SpyderCruiser - very helpful - thanks!

I have not rode the bike with them installed other than to set them in and have an initial setting. Now the fun begins to tune them in....

I think they are very well made and install was pretty easy. Biggest issue is the top shock bolts...tough area to reassemble. I did the right side really quickly, but the left side was an issue for me. So......I used Ron's directions about the nut to the backside and it worked well...saved me a lot of work!

I have a pic of the tools used - 15mm....I took SpyderCruiser's advice on the breaker bar with socket - worked great! I used a ratchet box end wrench as well. If you have the tools, makes the job go so much easier!!

BTW - Ron's coil spring compressors are well worth it - easy to use - worked well! HINT: I used vice grips to help stabilize the spring compressor when tightening - no problem - worked great and is a good way to keep your hands away from the coil!!

We have 20,000+ miles on our 2014 RT Limited - awesome bike - now onto the next 20,000!

Here's a few pics:

Attached Thumbnails

Another link to check out: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...hock+adjusters
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 07-29-2015 at 01:18 PM.
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 08-01-2018 at 01:04 PM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    I'll be ordering these soon, just wondering if removing the Frunk makes this easier on a '13.
    Removing the Frunk does make the install easier. You have to weight the added effort and time of the Frunk removal/install against the benefits. If you want to avoid the top shock bolt issue this is a good way to go. The rest of the install is mostly just time and effort. Not high on the difficulty rating.

Be sure to use a little lubricant on the spring compressor tool threads (WD-40 or similar, chain lube, whatever you have laying around) works well. Just apply it to the threads needed to do the job. This keeps the mess down.

These shock adjusters have been a real sleeper. I have been too busy to market them much and they don't get the recognition that the sway bar does. But, so far, everyone that has installed them is very happy. I just want to reiterate that these are not a substitute for the sway bar upgrade.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 08-06-2018 at 09:59 PM.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=BajaRon;1381422]Removing the Frunk does make the install easier. You have to weight the added effort and time of the Frunk removal/install against the benefits. If you want to avoid the top shock bolt issue this is a good way to go. The rest of the install is mostly just time and effort. Not high on the difficulty rating.

Be sure to use a little lubricant on the spring compressor tool (WD-40 or similar, chain lube, whatever you have laying around) works well. Just apply it to the threads needed to do the job. This keeps the mess down.

These shock adjusters have been a real sleeper. I have been too busy to market them much and they don't get the recognition that the sway bar does. But, so far, everyone that has installed them is very happy. I just want to reiterate that these are not a substitute for the sway bar upgrade.[/QUOTE

Ok Ron, what about us poor souls with older bikes? What can we do to increase spring tension on the front shocks?
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Default They rock

Ann had them on her RT and loved them!!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

adjusters arrived sat. nuthin going on at the shop. so i jacked it up 2 different
    times. looked in at that upper bolt , -and let it down. about 11 i said p--s on it, and
    jacked up the left side. after an hour for dinner, phone calls and people stopping,
    i had it back together by 2:30. thanks everyone for the valuable help .
    i did do one side at a time. more stable and more room for me. on the second spring
    i used anti seize on the compressor threads. seemed to move a lot easier than viscotene
    or wd40. got it up 1 turn. did give it a 10 mile bed- in first.
    ron- the tip on 2 sided tape was a curse word saver. worked like a charm!! being a semi retired
    body shop i had 4 sizes laying around.

now all i have left to get up the guts to do is frunk removal and belt adjustment !
    again, thanks everyone!--irvin toms
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

Irvin, thanks for starting this thread, it got me the "round tuit" I needed and my box arrived from Ron today. I'll be getting with Jim and using his compressors to get this done soon.
    Taking the frunk off is easier than I thought it would be, I've done it a few times on my '13. Makes fiddling with the fog lights so easy!
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default BAJA RONS SHOCK ADJUSTERS

I had the sway bar and then put these on not to difficult to do but they do make a difference very glad I spent the money and did it. I'm 70 and it still wasn't that hard a project.
    Loving the RYDE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daz View Post

Ok Ron, what about us poor souls with older bikes? What can we do to increase spring tension on the front shocks?
    All of the 2008-2012 Spyders came from the factory with shock spring adjusters. If yours is one of these model years. You already have them. They are cam and not threaded adjusters. A bit more difficult to adjust but not all that bad. Be sure to lift the front of your Spyder before making the adjustment to take some of the stress off of the cam. Hopefully, they aren't already maxed out.

You should have a spanner wrench in your BRP tool pack for this. Be sure to get both cams at the same notch.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bzbaeren View Post
    I had the sway bar and then put these on not to difficult to do but they do make a difference very glad I spent the money and did it. I'm 70 and it still wasn't that hard a project.
    X2 on the 70 part!!
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

didnt think till i read your post this morn. probably easier to turn the adjusters jacked up.
    i did re-antiseize[ is that a word?] the adjusters threads before putting them on. just guessing
    that might be on the threads?

dave-if youneed the small compressors before i send them back, let me know--irv
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I found that lifting the front end enough to get better access to the upper bolts and using a 15mm offset box wrench along with long and short 15mm socket with ratcheting wrench made it possible to get the nuts off. Then lift enough to release the tension on the shocks so the bolts can be removed. Then lift a little more to remove the shocks. A friend helped me compress the coil springs with BajaRon's tool, so we could install the Adjusters.

When I put the shocks back in I put the bolts in from the back (reversed) as it was easier. I have also bought a set of SK ratcheting offset box end wrenches so it will be much easier next time.

This is on a 2018 RT L.

fullsizeoutput_bd9.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Default Question

I am going to install these on my 15RTS. my question is do you gain any ground clearnce after install. One of the issues i see with all the Can ams is the ground clearnce.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MOSESS View Post
    I am going to install these on my 15RTS. my question is do you gain any ground clearnce after install. One of the issues i see with all the Can ams is the ground clearnce.

You can gain ground clearance. But the idea is to maintain original ground clearance when loaded.

With the shock adjusters you have 2 things going for you for ground clearance.

1st, you don't lose any ground clearance when loaded because you can compensate. I advise customers to take a measurement at the nose of their Spyder unloaded before they do the Shock Adjuster install. This will vary some because your Spyder suspension will settle a bit differently every time you stop. But usually not by more then 1/4" ~ 3/8" so you'll get a good ballpark reading.

Then when you are loaded you can measure again. You will probably lose 1" ~ 1-1/2" depending. Have your rider sit in the front seat while you measure (or vise-versa). This will get you close enough as the rider on the back does not contribute much to the loading in the front.

Then use the Shock Adjusters to bring the nose of your Spyder back to that original measurement. You might want to go another 1/4" ~ 1/2" higher depending on your preference. But I do not suggest going a lot higher as this will begin to affect your alignment and steering geometry.

2nd, with the increased pre-load adjustment you won't get as much 'Dive' or 'Lean'. This also effectively increases your ground clearance when you need it most. Driveway approaches, speed bumps, etc.

Once you have ridden some you can play with the number of turns on the shock adjusters to find your sweet spot.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 08-13-2018 at 05:23 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you

COOL You answered all my questions. ill be picking up a set at spyderquest.

Spyder Garage

COOL You answered all my questions. ill be picking up a set at spyderquest.
    At Spyderquest Netzley tire sells and installs these adjusters. As they were doing a laser alignment on my RT they showed me there spring compressor set up, quite impressive. They were doing a lot of BajaRon sway bar installs also. Great guys to work with.
    Wayne Bishop

2015 RT-S Special Series
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Default yes

I know them well they did my sway bar. ill buy from them in 3 weeks

Spyder Garage

I know them well they did my sway bar. ill buy from them in 3 weeks
    We are signed up to go again this year. Maybe we'll see you there.
    Wayne Bishop

2015 RT-S Special Series
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Default yes

Yes you will see me there, I have special like the one in your profile.....what day ar you heading up to the event.

Spyder Garage

Yes you will see me there, I have special like the one in your profile.....what day ar you heading up to the event.
    Will be arriving there sometime late Thursday. I ride the RT and my wife will be riding the F3. If the weather isn't looking good she may ride with me instead.
    Wayne Bishop

2015 RT-S Special Series
    2017 F3 Limited