Spyder Garage

Default BRP connect issue

So, here's my problem. I have two phones. My regular phone is an LG Stylo 3 running Android 7.0. Have all necessary software, BRP Connect, Genius maps and Car connectivity. When using this phone plugged into the BRP connect USB, everything works fine and I can get the maps on the bike screen.
    I have an another phone which no longer have a cellular connection but works great on WIFI. This one is a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 running Android 6.2. I also have on it all the same software as the LG. However, when plugged on the USB, I can load the BRP connect screen on the bike, which shows the icons for Music, Maps and Genius maps. Moving the cursor to Genius maps and I get a message saying to unplug the phone and setup the software on the smartphone. After that, it locks up. Now, I don't understand what it means by setting up the smartphone. My intend was to use the Sumsung and keep it in the frunk as not to immobilize my regular phone.
    I contacted Genius maps and twice they suggested to delete the software and re-install. Did that 4 times to no avail.
    Anyone has an idea what could be the problem?
    2018 RT Limited "Blondie"

Spyder Garage

Default Data connection needed

I don't have a 2018 but it seems to me that a data connection is needed for BRP connect to work - and the WIFI only device will not do it. You could easily test this by switching the sim card between the phones to see if that solves the problem on the Note.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by al0vely View Post
    I don't have a 2018 but it seems to me that a data connection is needed for BRP connect to work - and the WIFI only device will not do it. You could easily test this by switching the sim card between the phones to see if that solves the problem on the Note.
    I tried that. Still asking to disconnect and setup the smartphone. Weird....

Spyder Garage

I'm now wondering if the Android version, 7.0 on the LG and 6.2 on the Samsung may be a factor. Since I have no data on the Samsung, not sure if I can upgrade to 7.0...

Spyder Garage

Default Must be on carrier network for update

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmo View Post
    I'm now wondering if the Android version, 7.0 on the LG and 6.2 on the Samsung may be a factor. Since I have no data on the Samsung, not sure if I can upgrade to 7.0...
    If you want to check the update status the phone must be on the carrier network - unless you want to root the device which isn't worth the trouble.

Put the sim card in the phone and check for updates - it will either have an update or tell you it is up to date.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

If you want to check the update status the phone must be on the carrier network - unless you want to root the device which isn't worth the trouble.

Put the sim card in the phone and check for updates - it will either have an update or tell you it is up to date.
    Unfortunately, the SIM card on LG and Samsung are different. One is much larger than the other. Strange

Spyder Garage

I tried connecting my old phone moto x and would not work either. I think you have to have data to work.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why would connecting and using the "regular" phone immobilize it? You can use it as a phone to make calls when it's connected to the bike the same as you would normally. I don't think you can have Genius Maps active on both unless you paid twice. I have a second phone that I use as backup GPS in case the bike's system crashes but since it doesn't have cell service I can't use it for SiriusXM. Hoping BRP Connect gets it as well as other apps.
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 08-02-2018 at 01:13 AM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

* BRP Connect works on Bluetooth not WiFi, and most be connected to the bike via the USB cable to enable BRP Connect to work. Perhaps the Wi-Fi was a Fruedian slip.
    * The apps should run stand-alone with out data except, obviously, you won't have cell service.
    * Genius Maps (GM) shouldn't require cell service once it is installed on your phone with the download maps - that's the main point of the app to be able to work where there isn't cellular service. Will GM work on you Note 4 without connection to the bike? (I've only tried it on a Note 8).
    * i didn't see any mention of a headset in use. To use the phone function via BRP Connect, along with a phone with cellular service, one must have a headset password fi the system.
    Last edited by pauly1; 08-01-2018 at 10:45 PM.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check the image below and tell me what the green, yellow and red roads mean? That is traffic and GM can only know traffic conditions if the phone has cell service. It's not necessary but extremely helpful as it can re-route you if needed.

The phone part is on the bike's main dash system and not in BRP Connect. Whether Connect is working or not, making/recieveng calls is in the same menus as the Stats and Settings and what Music (Aux, FM) etc.

I use a Sena 30K and I also used a Uclear AMP Plus and both were able to make/recieve calls with no password as the phone is connected via bluetooth and USB cable. Adjust the volume when calling as well as the phone volume and headset volume should be high enough to hear.

fullsizeoutput_c31.jpg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post
    * BRP Connect works on Bluetooth not WiFi, and most be connected to the bike via the USB cable to enable BRP Connect to work. Perhaps the Wi-Fi was a Fruedian slip.
    * The apps should run stand-alone with out data except, obviously, you won't have cell service.
    * Genius Maps (GM) shouldn't require cell service once it is installed on your phone with the download maps - that's the main point of the app to be able to work where there isn't cellular service. Will GM work on you Note 4 without connection to the bike? (I've only tried it on a Note 8).
    * i didn't see any mention of a headset in use. To use the phone function via BRP Connect, along with a phone with cellular service, one must have a headset password fi the system.
    It clearly states that Genius Maps can be installed on more than one device. As long as you paid for it, only once. Brp connect only recognize one phone at the time. As you change phones, you must go back to Setting and re-pair the new phone. Also, as you stated, BRP connect and Genius maps does not need a cell connection to work. The map is built in the phone. The idea of using a separate phone is simply to keep it it the frunk and keep my regular available without having to fiddle in the storage. At this point, I am assuming that Samsung Note 4 is not compatible with BRP connect. Even with the 13.2 update which I just have done. Oh well......

Spyder Garage

Default 2nd Phone

I tried this too with an older LG phone that was not active. The Android operating system on it is version 4.2 and the BRP Connect instructions state that the OS must be at least 6. something. I'm assuming that is why my phone won't work. I also ran into another issue that gripes me a little bit. When I initially downloaded Genius Maps and paid for the privilege of using it, I was using an Android phone. Several weeks later I switched to an iPhone. After I downloaded and installed everything, I learned that you can't transfer ownership across different operating systems. I had to pay for (again) the Navteq and connectivity.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by amkrat View Post
    I tried this too with an older LG phone that was not active. The Android operating system on it is version 4.2 and the BRP Connect instructions state that the OS must be at least 6. something. I'm assuming that is why my phone won't work. I also ran into another issue that gripes me a little bit. When I initially downloaded Genius Maps and paid for the privilege of using it, I was using an Android phone. Several weeks later I switched to an iPhone. After I downloaded and installed everything, I learned that you can't transfer ownership across different operating systems. I had to pay for (again) the Navteq and connectivity.
    If you look in your owners manual packet you’ll find a card that explains how you can get a $90 cash card to repay for the cost of paying for genius maps. They won’t won’t keep giving you a cash card for every time you pay for it but i’ve also found that if you buy a new phone you can transfer your ownership to the new phone and not have to pay for again. The one thing to remember is when you buy new technology you have to also have the latest technology to go with it.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    If you look in your owners manual packet you’ll find a card that explains how you can get a $90 cash card to repay for the cost of paying for genius maps. They won’t won’t keep giving you a cash card for every time you pay for it but i’ve also found that if you buy a new phone you can transfer your ownership to the new phone and not have to pay for again. The one thing to remember is when you buy new technology you have to also have the latest technology to go with it.
    You can only get a cash back card if you bought a RT. If you bought a F3 Limited like I did. You are S*** out of luck.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Let's take a different look at this. If I understand correctly. Your issue may be that you don't like that your phone is locked up in the front trunk and hard to get to if you want. That is the location for the RT. In my case I have a F3L. BRP chose to put the phone connections in the glove box under the windshield. So it is easier to get to. When I want. For example when I want to take a quick picture. Still not a good fix. That glove box is just way too hot and puts the phone in overheat mode. I think the RT glove box is very hot as well. So I put a phone holder on the handle bars. It stays cool. Easy to access when I want too. Road side pictures is a snap. Unplug remove from the holder. When done, back in the holder and plug back in. The BRP connect app will restart and work every time. Maybe the fix for you is to get an extension cable and a phone holder. Run the extension cable to the handlebars or wherever you want that is convenient for you.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    You can only get a cash back card if you bought a RT. If you bought a F3 Limited like I did. You are S*** out of luck.
    That sucks I thought the cash card was for all bikes with brp connect
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It does suck that only the RT owners get the cash card. Dammit!

As for easy access to the phone, I got a cable from Lamonster to be able to mount the phone on the dash using the RT dash bracket TricLED sells. I routed the cable up through the windshield center mount and can plug the phone in and get at it quickly. My first thought when I got the bike was the phone is gonna get hot in the frunk as it's working and not getting any air.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Check the image below and tell me what the green, yellow and red roads mean? That is traffic and GM can only know traffic conditions if the phone has cell service. It's not necessary but extremely helpful as it can re-route you if needed.

The phone part is on the bike's main dash system and not in BRP Connect. Whether Connect is working or not, making/recieveng calls is in the same menus as the Stats and Settings and what Music (Aux, FM) etc.

I use a Sena 30K and I also used a Uclear AMP Plus and both were able to make/recieve calls with no password as the phone is connected via bluetooth and USB cable. Adjust the volume when calling as well as the phone volume and headset volume should be high enough to hear.
    Genius Maps will function without cellular connection as a stand-alone GPS. A cell phone-based GPS will not work when cellular service is not available. Yes, your superior knowledge once again must put someone down whom actually tries to help others understand the system instead of chastising them. Maybe others would try to comment but don't want to experience the wrath of the self-proclaimed experts.

I was wrong in my understanding of BRP Connect and its function. It would be nice if the owners manual would have walked through some of those details. Oh, yes, what owners manual?

I screwed up by not catching the autocorrect. You are so right in that it doesn't need a password although the headset must be "paired in" to the new Gauge Cluster for the cellphone to function through the Gauge Cluster.

Wayne
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cell phone based GPS? You mean like Waze or Google? No they wouldn't be good to use as they use a lot of cell data and doesn't work in areas where there is no service. That is why I've always had TomTom or Garmin app on my phones because it uses map data downloaded when the app is installed. I believe Google can do that but you are limited to sections of map data that you downloaded.

Yes Genius Maps will work without cell service but not the traffic part which can be very helpful. Trying to help others is great but making it more complicated can confuse things. I'm only trying to simplify things. From what you say it seems you have to go through certain steps every time you ride and it shouldn't be so complicated. Setting it up for the first time can be frustrating but once thats done it is easy to plug the phone in and get going. It's an adventure and we need to make it a fun one.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red