Spyder Garage

Default Tire and oil change at the same time.

Hello, I was coming on here to ask if you felt I could make it to 12,300 miles on this tire. I'm currently at 8,700 miles, when I called my dealer to see if they install car tires on my Spyder he informed me they did, for $75 only thing is if the car tire causes any issues the warranty would not cover it, which he said he has never seen before. But then he corrected me and told me the first oil change is at 3,000 and then 9,300 after that then it's every 9,300. That is what I initially thought until I searched here and it was 12,300. I still believe you.
    Anyway, I am excited about the new tire change and get to pick a new one, top contenders for me from doing research on here is Michelin (heard a new model is out), General Altimax RT43, Yokohama or Cooper.

Any advice on how long I have on my tire? Oil change is no big deal because it will be a year, just thought it was interesting. Thanks in advance.

Tread.jpg

2016 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Tires are like brake pads. They wear more slowly as the tread goes away. But I don't think you'll make your 12k+ on this one.

But there isn't any problem doing the 2 jobs separately as needed. Especially if you start doing your own oil service.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thank you, I plan on doing my own oil changes when the wife lets me. Kidding aside, for $140 an oil change I find it hard to do myself, but plan on it once the warranty is over.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

First service is 3,000 miles then 9,300 miles later. 3000 + 9300 = 12300. I'm not sure what you thought you read that was wrong. At any rate, the maintenance schedule is in your Owners Manual and you should always go by that. Some dealers like to fudge those numbers in their favor and try to get you in more often. You should know what is on the agenda for each service so that you're getting the required services.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Tire

The tire in the picture is worn to the wear bars. Replace.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I'm not sure what you thought you read that was wrong.
    I think when I purchased it, they went over maintenance and all that good stuff, and they told me then. When I read the manual I saw the 9,300 and didn't think much of it. But thank you.

Spyder Garage

Default Tough one....

Always your call....that tire to me looks like it will be fine and will make it to the first oil change...here is what a Kenda tire looks like when it hits the wear limit

20160324_085157.jpg 20160504_090715.jpg Look for that little triangle on the side of the tire. That is where the ware bar will be and measure at that point. The others are rain blocks and the tire wares down to them pretty fast...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Not sure if those are the wear indicators or just the water breaker bars- look for

You know how much you ride and what your are comfortable with riding for your Idaho season and weather. Look at the tread sides for the little

triangles and see if the bars across the tread there are wore to the surface. I would probably get a little more wear out of this Kenda, but I also have

just ordered two new Generals as the wifes tire is down to about 2/32nds. I have the flexibility and tools to change her tire whenever she gives me the

"directive" and non-ryding day to do it.

Also you know how quick your dealer can schedule.

Your ride, your call.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ramg66 View Post
    Thank you, I plan on doing my own oil changes when the wife lets me. Kidding aside, for $140 an oil change I find it hard to do myself, but plan on it once the warranty is over.
    That is a good price to have the work done.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

75 dollars to change a Tire? Did I read that correctly?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    75 dollars to change a Tire? Did I read that correctly?
    Yes, I was surprised too.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ramg66 View Post
    Yes, I was surprised too.
    I would shop around for a tire installer. I am lucky and have been doing my own tire removal and installs at home when I can.

That price is way to high.

And if you dont do much more driving that tire may last but I am guessing it will be bald in no time if that's a stock tire.
    Last edited by trikermutha; 07-31-2018 at 07:54 PM.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    I would shop around for a tire installer. I am lucky and have been doing my own tire removal and installs at home when I can.

That price is way to high.
    Not if it includes removing the wheel from the bike and reinstalling, and adjusting the belt alignment after. At least that's what I think.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Not if it includes removing the wheel from the bike and reinstalling, and adjusting the belt alignment after. At least that's what I think.
    When I replied I was surprised I meant I thought it was a good deal, and yes its dismount, change and mount. I will ask about belt alignment.