Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38
  1. #1
    Member NDrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Fairfield ND
    Posts
    27
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default 2018 RT shifting paddle

    My wifeís 2018 RT takes a abnormal amount of pressure on the paddle to make it shift. Her 2015 flicked thru the gears with very little effort.. Any ideas?
    ND Rider

  2. #2
    Active Member Jarred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    294
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default Ď18 RT

    I have an Ď18 RT and it shifts very easily. You definitely have a problem, Iíd call/bring it back to the dealer.
    ĎGood luck.

    2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter

  3. #3
    Member NDrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Fairfield ND
    Posts
    27
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred View Post
    I have an Ď18 RT and it shifts very easily. You definitely have a problem, Iíd call/bring it back to the dealer.
    ĎGood luck.
    Thanks for the reply we did have it in the mechanic says nope shifts fine lol well she should know she has ridden a lot more spyder than he has. I drove it home from her first oil change and I noticed it right away
    ND Rider

  4. #4
    Member NDrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Fairfield ND
    Posts
    27
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I was wondering about the paddle shifter itself if there is a way to adjust the contact points that activate the gear change
    ND Rider

  5. #5
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    11,452
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Paddle issue

    I created an Ergonomic Pad for the paddle that might help this issue ..... See my Album ( of the same name ) ......But if the shifter is defective ( and this appears to be a possibility ) have the DEALER fix-it ......Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 07-31-2018 at 01:19 PM.

  6. #6
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Northern Kalifornia
    Posts
    831
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Mine shifts like a dream......

    Quote Originally Posted by NDrider View Post
    Thanks for the reply we did have it in the mechanic says nope shifts fine lol well she should know she has ridden a lot more spyder than he has. I drove it home from her first oil change and I noticed it right away
    My paddle shifter shifts so smooth and easy to the touch, it's joy to shift. Take it back and contact the owner and compare your wife's spyder to another spyder that shifts properly, and have the owner make his so-called mechanic make it right. The longer you let it go the harder it will be to get it corrected. Good luck.

  7. #7
    Active Member Pallidus Aranea's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Eastern Shore of MD
    Posts
    48
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NDrider View Post
    My wifeís 2018 RT takes a abnormal amount of pressure on the paddle to make it shift. Her 2015 flicked thru the gears with very little effort.. Any ideas?
    Yep ... I have some ideas. Just got my 2018 RTL back from the dealer - guess what was wrong. Shifting - in particular downshifting went from hard to accomplish to just won't happen. The paddle / lever was defective and replaced under warranty. I can even get you the part number ... once I get back home.
    Dave

    "Pallidus Aranea"
    (Pale Spider)

    • 2018 CamAm Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White / Chrome
    • 2008 H/D VROD 105th Anniversary Edition (665 of 1200) - Retired
    • 1987 Honda CRB600F - "Hurricane" - Retired


    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complexÖ It takes a touch of genius Ė and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein

  8. #8
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    North Central Florida
    Posts
    2,023
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    It is under warranty. INSIST THAT THEY FIX IT.

    (If there is another dealer around, that might be a better option. One that insults your intelligence is not worthy of your continued business.)
    My ride: '17 Spyder RT

  9. #9
    Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Casselman, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    428
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    I'm getting the whole left handlebar control replaced next week because of the same problem.

    In my case, contrary to the service bulletin from BRP about downshifting, it is the up shift that is giving me problem.

    In about 1 out of every 3-4 up shift, I have to hit (and hold) the paddle more than once for the shift to happen.

  10. #10
    Active Member amkrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Gretna, Nebraska
    Posts
    49
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default SE6 shift paddle issues

    I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one with this issue. Upshifting is fine. Downshifting, and in particular, shifting into neutral or reverse requires a lot of pressure on the minus paddle. My service manager says that he submitted an inquiry to BRP about this but hasn't heard back. I may have to tell him what I have learned here. Thanks for the info.

  11. #11
    Member NDrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Fairfield ND
    Posts
    27
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pallidus Aranea View Post
    Yep ... I have some ideas. Just got my 2018 RTL back from the dealer - guess what was wrong. Shifting - in particular downshifting went from hard to accomplish to just won't happen. The paddle / lever was defective and replaced under warranty. I can even get you the part number ... once I get back home.
    Thanks pale spyder it well be going in ASAP I see itís not the only one. Thanks for the post
    ND Rider

  12. #12
    Very Active Member billybovine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mitchell, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,161
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Warranty bulletin 2018-5

    Tell your dealer to refer to warranty bulletin 2018-5 for this problem.

    2018 F3 LIMITED

  13. #13
    Member NDrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Fairfield ND
    Posts
    27
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Tell your dealer to refer to warranty bulletin 2018-5 for this problem.
    Well do
    ND Rider

  14. #14
    Active Member amkrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Gretna, Nebraska
    Posts
    49
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Warranty bulletin

    How do I find and read this bulletin?

  15. #15
    Member NDrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Fairfield ND
    Posts
    27
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Shift problem 2018 RT

    Thanks everyone for the advice. A shout out to billy bovine for the BRP case number we called the dealer and since I had a BRP reference they ordered the cluster before we took it in they installed it right away. We picked it up last night after work. My wife was super happy shifts right and the joy stick and the blinker cancel all works easily. They also got the buds 2 to work and installed the newest update. I let them know I had read here that they had to use the cable and one on the USB port then it worked. Thanks again everyone we well be headed down to council bluffs Iowa for the spyder fest hope to see some of you there. Letís RIDE
    ND Rider

  16. #16
    Very Active Member billybovine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mitchell, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,161
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NDrider View Post
    Thanks everyone for the advice. A shout out to billy bovine for the BRP case number we called the dealer and since I had a BRP reference they ordered the cluster before we took it in they installed it right away. We picked it up last night after work. My wife was super happy shifts right and the joy stick and the blinker cancel all works easily. They also got the buds 2 to work and installed the newest update. I let them know I had read here that they had to use the cable and one on the USB port then it worked. Thanks again everyone we well be headed down to council bluffs Iowa for the spyder fest hope to see some of you there. Letís RIDE
    Thanks for updating us with the results. That does not happen enough.

    2018 F3 LIMITED

  17. #17
    Active Member MeudtPG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Monroe, WI
    Posts
    45
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default 2018 RTL paddle switch issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by ottawa-rider View Post
    I'm getting the whole left handlebar control replaced next week because of the same problem.

    In my case, contrary to the service bulletin from BRP about downshifting, it is the up shift that is giving me problem.

    In about 1 out of every 3-4 up shift, I have to hit (and hold) the paddle more than once for the shift to happen.

    Did you ever get your whole left handlebar control replaced? Thanks.
    My new 2018 RTL. Dealer looked at it (In about 1 out of every 3-4 up shift, I have to hit (and hold) the paddle more than once for the shift to happen) and dealer agreed that it takes two or three times to hit the paddle to make things happen and told me "We have a case openwith BRP presently and we're waiting to hear back from them on the issues!" Have not heard anything for 7 days so far!!!! How long does BRP take to answer a dealer? Winter salt is coming soon and would like to ride.
    Any advise?
    2018 SPYDER RT LTD SE6 BLUE/CHROME

  18. #18
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    greensburg,pa
    Posts
    74
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MeudtPG View Post

    Did you ever get your whole left handlebar control replaced? Thanks.
    My new 2018 RTL. Dealer looked at it (In about 1 out of every 3-4 up shift, I have to hit (and hold) the paddle more than once for the shift to happen) and dealer agreed that it takes two or three times to hit the paddle to make things happen and told me "We have a case openwith BRP presently and we're waiting to hear back from them on the issues!" Have not heard anything for 7 days so far!!!! How long does BRP take to answer a dealer? Winter salt is coming soon and would like to ride.
    Any advise?
    You gotta have some patience, I did and my situation was handled swiftly.
    Mine took a week after the case number was generated and I was contacted to keep me updated until I had a case manager handle my problem and then it was fixed in another week.
    Two weeks-was okay with me.

  19. #19
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    north wis
    Posts
    71
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Shouldn't be any "case open "stuff.The issue is covered by warranty bulletin 2018-5.A known problem but still took 2 weeks to get the parts for mine.

  20. #20
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Nashville, GA
    Posts
    177
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Paddle shifter

    Quote Originally Posted by woods View Post
    Shouldn't be any "case open "stuff.The issue is covered by warranty bulletin 2018-5.A known problem but still took 2 weeks to get the parts for mine.
    My 2018 F3 Limited was taken to the dealer today, and they replaced the whole left side module because I couldn't down shift, couldn't get it to go into neutral or reverse! Took about 2 hours or more, but when they changed it out everything went back to work! It is great to have neutral and reverse again! BRP should be aware by now that all 2018 F3's and RT's are having problems with this new left side module!!!! Maybe get a new supplier for this part, hope BRP is listening !!

  21. #21
    Active Member MeudtPG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Monroe, WI
    Posts
    45
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default 2018 RT Paddle Switch Problem Update

    Quote Originally Posted by south GA Farm Boy View Post
    My 2018 F3 Limited was taken to the dealer today, and they replaced the whole left side module because I couldn't down shift, couldn't get it to go into neutral or reverse! Took about 2 hours or more, but when they changed it out everything went back to work! It is great to have neutral and reverse again! BRP should be aware by now that all 2018 F3's and RT's are having problems with this new left side module!!!! Maybe get a new supplier for this part, hope BRP is listening !!
    BRP responded to this known problem because I just heard from dealer. BRP responded backand we have a new switch on order right now getting replaced for you. Thatshould fix the shift issues. The part should be here within the next fewdays and then it is just getting that swapped out. I'm hoping to have itcompleted for you by the end of the week.
    2018 SPYDER RT LTD SE6 BLUE/CHROME

  22. #22
    Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Casselman, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    428
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MeudtPG View Post

    Did you ever get your whole left handlebar control replaced? Thanks.
    My new 2018 RTL. Dealer looked at it (In about 1 out of every 3-4 up shift, I have to hit (and hold) the paddle more than once for the shift to happen) and dealer agreed that it takes two or three times to hit the paddle to make things happen and told me "We have a case openwith BRP presently and we're waiting to hear back from them on the issues!" Have not heard anything for 7 days so far!!!! How long does BRP take to answer a dealer? Winter salt is coming soon and would like to ride.
    Any advise?
    Yes, my dealer did replace the left handlebar control module even though the bulletin was for a downshifting/reverse issue, and like you, I had a problem with upshifting instead.

    As far as I know, they did not raise a case with BRP.
    Last edited by ottawa-rider; 10-24-2018 at 10:28 PM.

  23. #23
    Active Member MeudtPG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Monroe, WI
    Posts
    45
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Shift Issue/Bulletin 2018-5 was honored and completed today!

    Quote Originally Posted by ottawa-rider View Post
    Yes, my dealer did replace the left handlebar control module even though the bulletin was for a downshifting/reverse issue, and like you, I had a problem with upshifting instead.

    As far as I know, they did not raise a case with BRP.
    Just rode 78 miles on my spyder after dealer performed Shift Issue/Bulletin 2018-0005 which entailed replacing the left hand multifunction switch (some multifunction switches may be out of specification preventing the driver to downshift or engage into reverse) In my case it was upshifting problem. It is now a smooth "soft" touch shifting operation along with reverse engaging first time every time and I noticed it right away. I am happy.
    Nice work done by my dealers technician at Engelhart Center Madison, WI.

    2018 SPYDER RT LTD SE6 BLUE/CHROME

  24. #24
    Active Member Jarred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    294
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default 2018 Downshifting

    Well, itís happening to me. When I first purchased my Ď18 RTL in July, shifting was a breeze. Over past few weeks Iíve noticed that when downshifting Iíd have to press the paddle a few times. This past week itís gotten worse. I just went on a 2-3hr ride w some friends....would hardly ever downshift. And when I pulled into the garage it took a good 5 min of trying to get it into neutral.
    Thanks to everyone who has experienced this problem and posted on the forum. Iíll be calling my dealer tomorrow to schedule apt to get this fixed. As pointed out by others, Iíll tell them to check ďWarranty bulletin 2018-0005Ē.
    Does anyone remember how long it took Dealer to replace, once they had the part in stock? I live far away from my dealer so I usually wait for it while itís being serviced. If itís a big job Iíll try to get a ride/Uber.
    ĎThank you.

    2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter

  25. #25
    Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Casselman, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    428
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    They initially told me about 2.5 hours, it ended being just shy of 2.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •