Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Hip hurts when I ride my RTL

Guys, does anyone have hip pain when they ride their RT? I never have hip pain, and have never been told I need hip surgery! I have been riding motorcycle all my life, about all brands except a Goldwing, mostly Harleys and Yamaha's.
    I have put the Lamont foot pegs out front, but I still have hip pain when I ride. I've had a 2013 RTL and Now a 2016 RTL, and both Spyders cause my hips to hurt bad when I ride over 40 miles or so! I think I have two choices, one would be to trade and try a F3L when my feet and legs would be out front like a normal motorcycle, and the other choice is to sell the 2016 RTL, and go back to a two wheel motorcycle. My wife enjoys the back seat on the RTL, and would not enjoy the F3L, because we test rode one not too long ago. I hate to keep buying Spyders if I can't enjoy riding them! Their are too expensive! Any advice on improving my ride will be greatly appreciated!

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE= to trade and try a F3L when my feet and legs would be out front like a normal motorcycle, [/QUOTE]

Normal? Not my normal. In the "sit up and beg" foot forward, ryding style, you carry all of your weight on your lower back
    and tailbone. With your RT, your legs are closer to being "under" your body weight, functioning like another piece of suspension.
    I think highway pegs are great, to stretch your legs. They are not good for controlling your ryde. That's why you don't see
    highway pegs on a motocross bike. I like to be able to help my spyder absorb some bigger hits, like a pothole that couldn't be avoided.
    Unloading your weight from the seat, allows your suspension to be more effective in situations like that.
    I know we all have our own tastes. So why trade ? Give the wife the RT and get your own F3.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

I actually needed hip replacement. Heart issues delayed the surgery for almost three years. I was wheelchair bound but managed to ride anyway.

Before changing 's, I would recommend the use of seat cushions. I had two. A sheepskin gel pad/ and an Airhawk. I also had floorboards which allowed foot movement to find a comfortable riding position.

I changed out depending on the "pain of the day." Sometimes none, sometimes one, and sometimes both. These got me through. Towards the end, I was pretty much limited to 50 miles or so at a time.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default georgia !

how tall are you ? are you long in the torso , as your legs are shorter than your upper body ? ( thinking you might be scrunching down from upper shoulder area , trying to accommodate the comfort ride style of the r-t-l ) if you get gel pad and no to not much relief , thinking handle bar risers might be instore ... go sit on your cycle , and look at the way your arms are held out , a little off straight ? or more in the 3 too 4 oclock off center position ? ( the thing I believe , if you are in the 3 to 4 position , while riding your body will tend too relax for 3 to 4 position and your back will get the --- bends --- as to your hip problems .... ------> go ahead and take a look , we will wait for your answer .................................................. ....................... not back yet ? ......................................... ahhhh locked your self out of the house huh ! well take a look around the forums when you get back inside and see about handle bar risers I think someone here actually sells them ... ( I am , 5 8 ish big for my age . I do not get hip sore but more I can feel the vertebrae , talking too me after a long day of riding ) ...... and I was just messing with you on the go out side , we will wait ... hope you get to the bottom of the problem ,so the wife can still enjoy the rides

Spyder Garage

Default here is a post of the same idea / risers

Originally Posted by JP58
    I installed the Rox risers on my 2018 F3L and I cant get them tight enough to stop slipping. There in no knurling on the handlebars. The bars want to slip with average pressure on them. I tried a prick punch and hammer to mar the inside surface. Didn't help. What now any advice would be helpful.

I can't speak directly about the ROX brand ....but when I bought risers from " RSI " they sent shims because all handlebars are not the same size ......How close to the exact diameter is the ROX brand...... di you get SHIMS ??? .........Mike ..........PS.... PM Prairie Spyder ( Patti ) I'm pretty sure She has them on Her F-3

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Where do you carry your wallet ?
    Anything else in your back pockets ??

A custom seat might be your answer.

Spyder Garage

I agree with Easy Rider and have an even cheaper alternative; try some yoga. Improving flexibility may help, particularly as we add more trips around the sun. I had both my hips replaced when things got to bone on bone.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Hips hurting on RTL

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    how tall are you ? are you long in the torso , as your legs are shorter than your upper body ? ( thinking you might be scrunching down from upper shoulder area , trying to accommodate the comfort ride style of the r-t-l ) if you get gel pad and no to not much relief , thinking handle bar risers might be instore ... go sit on your cycle , and look at the way your arms are held out , a little off straight ? or more in the 3 too 4 oclock off center position ? ( the thing I believe , if you are in the 3 to 4 position , while riding your body will tend too relax for 3 to 4 position and your back will get the --- bends --- as to your hip problems .... ------> go ahead and take a look , we will wait for your answer .................................................. ....................... not back yet ? ......................................... ahhhh locked your self out of the house huh ! well take a look around the forums when you get back inside and see about handle bar risers I think someone here actually sells them ... ( I am , 5 8 ish big for my age . I do not get hip sore but more I can feel the vertebrae , talking too me after a long day of riding ) ...... and I was just messing with you on the go out side , we will wait ... hope you get to the bottom of the problem ,so the wife can still enjoy the rides
    I am 5'11'' and weigh about 205. Don't think handlebars has anything to do with Spyder causing my hips to hurt, it maybe the seat and I may have to update to a type of seat that allows my feet to be further out! I have ridden thousands of miles on motorcycle some with lower handlebars and some with risers, each to his own on height of handlebars, but you may have a point! Don't have an air Hawk to try, but have tried gel pad, and it lets my body roll on the curves making it uncomfortable! Only had this 2016 RTL about 1 1/12 years (bought it new) and have 3 more year on the BEST warranty, so hate to sell it or trade it! I must do something to help my riding time, can't handle the hurting hips!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by south GA Farm Boy View Post
    Guys, does anyone have hip pain when they ride their RT? I never have hip pain, and have never been told I need hip surgery! I have been riding motorcycle all my life, about all brands except a Goldwing, mostly Harleys and Yamaha's.
    I have put the Lamont foot pegs out front, but I still have hip pain when I ride. I've had a 2013 RTL and Now a 2016 RTL, and both Spyders cause my hips to hurt bad when I ride over 40 miles or so! I think I have two choices, one would be to trade and try a F3L when my feet and legs would be out front like a normal motorcycle, and the other choice is to sell the 2016 RTL, and go back to a two wheel motorcycle. My wife enjoys the back seat on the RTL, and would not enjoy the F3L, because we test rode one not too long ago. I hate to keep buying Spyders if I can't enjoy riding them! Their are too expensive! Any advice on improving my ride will be greatly appreciated!
    That was a problem for my wife and I. We ride solo but when I rode the RT my left hip went crazy. Got a 2016 F3L and can do 650 a day no problem.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Maybe try a couple different seat styles/makes/brands. Once in a while I'll get a cramp in a hip, but I've never had constant pain. Might be a silly question, but are you relaxing your legs enough? If you're riding tensed up at all, you'll end up sore.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I swear by Russell seats. I've had back and hip pain on most my bikes until I change seats. The Russell system uses a spring built into the seat that gives great hip and pelvis support. Your bride will love it and it's a whole lot cheaper than another bike. The seat didn't solve all the issues so I'm back on a wing but it got a RDL first thing.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

• I have put the Lamont foot pegs out front, but I still have hip pain when I ride.
    • I've had a 2013 RTL and Now a 2016 RTL, and both Spyders cause my hips to hurt bad when I ride over 40 miles or so!
    • I think I have two choices, one would be to trade and try a F3L when my feet and legs would be out front like a normal motorcycle, and
    • the other choice is to sell the 2016 RTL, and go back to a two wheel motorcycle. My wife enjoys the back seat on the RTL, and would not enjoy the F3L, because we test rode one not too long ago.

I hate to keep buying Spyders if I can't enjoy riding them! Their are too expensive! Any advice on improving my ride will be greatly appreciated!
    Okay, I'll try to help but I'd like some more info first;
    • Are you saying that, for all of the time you have owned two Spyders (RTs), you have been unable to ride more than 40 miles without hip pain? Or, is this something that started after you had been riding pain-free for an initial period of owning the 2013? I'm just having a real hard time understanding how you could tolerate hip pain for that long - or why you got a second one at all? Maybe it's something that comes and goes?
    • When you say hip pain, are you talking about the joint, cramping thigh muscles, your butt hurting, the whole leg hurting or what? The reason I ask is that seating position and / or seat comfort could be the key, depending on what exactly is creating the pain.
    • When you test-drove the F3L, did the discomfort go away?
    • The two-wheelers you owned before - were they cruiser-style, sports-touring or what? They each have different ergonomics, which could be the key to finding the right Spyder for you.

By the way, without changing your seating position, highway pegs are only going to relieve cramping and soreness in the knees, I believe. I can't see how stretching the lower leg is going to affect hip pain, but I could be wrong about that.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Hip pain

My RT is my first bike, purchased at the young age of 75. When I first started riding I would notice some pain in my left hip but the more I rode the less pain I experienced. Rarely have any at all now at almost 79.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't think handlebars has anything to do with Spyder causing my hips to hurt,
    Your POSTURE often has a HUGE impact......and the position of the bars has a lot to do with the angle of your spine and the resulting pressure points on your hips and lower back.

A lot of times, putting your feet farther out in front is exactly the WRONG thing to do.

A visit to an Orthopedic doctor might do wonders. Some specific exercises might be all you need.
    That did wonders for a lower back problem I had......not really related to bike riding.

I too like the Russell Daylong seats but now have found a shop in northern Florida that does similar work and doesn't require you to send in a seat pan. The total cost is about the same.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 07-29-2018 at 06:39 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Hip pain riding the RTL

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Okay, I'll try to help but I'd like some more info first;
    • Are you saying that, for all of the time you have owned two Spyders (RTs), you have been unable to ride more than 40 miles without hip pain? Or, is this something that started after you had been riding pain-free for an initial period of owning the 2013? I'm just having a real hard time understanding how you could tolerate hip pain for that long - or why you got a second one at all? Maybe it's something that comes and goes?
    • When you say hip pain, are you talking about the joint, cramping thigh muscles, your butt hurting, the whole leg hurting or what? The reason I ask is that seating position and / or seat comfort could be the key, depending on what exactly is creating the pain.
    • When you test-drove the F3L, did the discomfort go away?
    • The two-wheelers you owned before - were they cruiser-style, sports-touring or what? They each have different ergonomics, which could be the key to finding the right Spyder for you.

By the way, without changing your seating position, highway pegs are only going to relieve cramping and soreness in the knees, I believe. I can't see how stretching the lower leg is going to affect hip pain, but I could be wrong about that.
    To answer your questions, no I don't have hip pain every time I ride the Spyder(2013 or the 2016). I can occasionally go 300 miles and have no pain, and then the next ride 40 or 50 miles and my right hip starting hurting and I can hardly get my right food up to put on brakes! Getting off the Spyder and walking around help the pain go away. This past Saturday night while riding with a group, both hips like got out of joint at the same time, I just had to slow down and stand up on the floor boards for a minute or so the get them where I could put on brakes. Mostly right hip causes the problem. The reason I got a second RTL is that I sold the first one and when we test rode the F3L, I was going to buy it, but with the small windshield and my wife setting up higher in the wind, she did not like the F3L. It did not brother my hip to ride the F3L at all! You get so much more for your money on the RTL, and keep the wife happy! No leg or foot problems, just feels like hip is out of joint when it occurs.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

To answer your questions, no I don't have hip pain every time I ride the Spyder(2013 or the 2016). I can occasionally go 300 miles and have no pain, and then the next ride 40 or 50 miles and my right hip starting hurting and I can hardly get my right food up to put on brakes! Getting off the Spyder and walking around help the pain go away. This past Saturday night while riding with a group, both hips like got out of joint at the same time, I just had to slow down and stand up on the floor boards for a minute or so the get them where I could put on brakes. Mostly right hip causes the problem. The reason I got a second RTL is that I sold the first one and when we test rode the F3L, I was going to buy it, but with the small windshield and my wife setting up higher in the wind, she did not like the F3L. It did not brother my hip to ride the F3L at all! You get so much more for your money on the RTL, and keep the wife happy! No leg or foot problems, just feels like hip is out of joint when it occurs.
    I'm going to make an assumption that your two-wheeler bikes had a laid back cruiser ergonomic, which let you ride with a less acute angle at the hip. The F3 also has that laid back riding position, which is why it didn't bother your hip.

The RT is a much more upright touring position and together with the need to keep your right leg tucked in close for the brake has you in a cramped position for your hip. The first thing I would try is a BRP comfort seat which seats you slightly lower and rear-ward, relaxing the hip more. The drawback is less room for the passenger.

A more expensive option is a purely custom seat tailored to your frame and desired ergonomics.

But you need to do something drastic to be able to enjoy riding the bike again, because it is just going to get worse with age if you don't.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default hip hurting while riding RTL

Guys,
    Thanks for all your replies, and suggestions! I have read each one in great detail, and will be trying some of the improvements, or sell it! Thanks again!

Spyder Garage

First, I am not a doctor and don't play one on TV. The normal aging process plus whatever we have done to our bodies over the past "X" number of years usually contributes to all of us having some back degradation issues. Some suffer from in just back pain / distress, other have symptoms that show up elsewhere. Speaking from experience and directly to your hip - I have destroyed my neck and back. My lumbar spine is so compressed that I have been putting surgery off. My main complain (in this case) is not lower (lumbar) back pain, it pain that started in my right hip and now radiated all the way to my right foot.

BRP factory ergonomics on the bike force you sit relatively upright. That equals more pressure on your lower back and thus more chances for hip / leg discomfort. For me changing the ergo meant ensuring that my co-pilot was comfortably seated. If she was happy that meant that all of my real estate belonged to me. I found a back rest that allowed me to take pressure off my back. Meant that I had room to move forward and backward in the saddle. Highway pegs allow me to stretch my legs. Think about it, if you sit in your office chair or home recliner too long you body forces you to move to get more comfortable. Just be sure you have option to allow that on the bike too.

We rode for about 20 hours over the past three days - some long highways trek and mostly windy mountain roads. Having better seating allows us ride comfortably with minimal discomfort.

And stretch at the gas station - who cares about what the kids in the car are saying "look at that old man doing gymnastics." I just smile at them knowing I will live to be a 100 with a bad back / neck and they will die from "eating McDonald's" three times. I actually like being older
    Dave

"Pallidus Aranea"
    (Pale Spider)

• 2018 CamAm Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White / Chrome
    • 2008 H/D VROD 105th Anniversary Edition (665 of 1200) - Retired
    • 1987 Honda CRB600F - "Hurricane" - Retired

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex… It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein
    2018 RT Limited , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

It's kinda like riding a horse till you get use to it. Body parts hurt at times. Even when we had our gold wings for years my hips would get to hurting at times. Even with a custom seat and foot pegs. Its really just the way you have to set when you ride. I take everything out of my pockets till I get to where we are going most of the time. Plus the older we get the more things hurt at times. No pun intended. Just enjoy the ride and make stops so you can stretch. Happy trails. Ride Safe, Ride Often.

Spyder Garage

I wonder if a backrest would help... I didn't see if you had one or not. Depending on posture, the extra back support might help. I don't have one but my wife does on hers... it has helped her quite a bit posture wise...
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

FWIW, I have been trying to decide on RTL or F3L. Sitting on both I found the F3L more comfortable. Then I found an RTL with a back rest it felt very comfortable with the support. Granted I have not riden either just sat on them. Hope you get it sorted out.

Joe
    2018 F3L , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jlc41 View Post
    FWIW, I have been trying to decide on RTL or F3L. Sitting on both I found the F3L more comfortable. Then I found an RTL with a back rest it felt very comfortable with the support. Granted I have not riden either just sat on them. Hope you get it sorted out.

Joe
    I agree. The comfort seat plus backrest made all the difference in my riding comfort. Being able to not only rest my back but also be able to push against the backrest makes for a comfortable and very well braced riding position.
    2014 RTL Platinum

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Hey Farm Boy !

Give me a call I think I can cure your problem,
    209-887-3283
    I am sure I know what is causing your hip pain and how you can
    cure it.
    Thanks
    Dave

Spyder Garage

Try a Air Hawk cushion, it works for me 👍🏻

Spyder Garage

For starters, take any medical advice gained on an internet forum with a big grain of salt. Anybody that "knows what your problem is" probably doesnt. I'm not a doctor, but I am a Nurse. I wouldn't begin to try and diagnose a physical issue like hip pain, especially since I have no knowledge of your physical condition, age or whatever else may be part of the issue.

It is a bit confusing that you say you can go one day for 300 miles with no pain and then another for 40 and have it. And the fact that you say you can ride two wheels fine, but the Spyders seem to cause problems. I would suggest seeing an Ortho specialist and see if you can some detailed clinical help that way. At the very least, they will shoot xrays of both hips to see if there may be something going on with the joint. And I'm assuming the issue is with the hip joint and not the lower back, sometimes they can be confusing.

The other thing to look at would be how you are sitting on the different bikes. There may be some subtle differences that can cause the pain that you may not be aware of. One thing previously mentioned that is that you are not leaning on 3 wheels but actually fighting inertia when you go through curves. Part of that stress is going to be on the lower torso and hips. You may benefit from a consult with a physical therapist or maybe a sports medicine/trainer type. Somebody that is used to evaluating how the body moves and what can be done to help alleviate pain.

And the advice to get off the bike and move around every hour or so is also very good. Not only can it keep the joints more limber on long rides, but it can help to prevent circulation issues like DVT's (blockages caused by blood clots) that can occur in muscles that dont move for a long time. Problems with circulation tend to get worse as we all get older. HTH

Bob
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black