Thread: Tire Pressure.

Spyder Garage

Default Tire Pressure.

Good morning all. I’ve searched for an answer to this question but can’t find it.
    ‘According to my manual, rear tire should be 28 PSI-no lower than 26psi, no greater than 30psi.
    ‘I’ve noticed w Fobo in the morning (before riding) my pressure is only 25.5psi (setting off the alarm for under inflating) but after riding a bit it goes up to 28-29psi. If I inflate it to 28 before riding, the alarm will go off after a few miles stating that tire is over inflated.
    So what’s the correct “time” to confirm tire pressure, before ride or during?
    ‘Lots of talk on tire replacement so I want to make sure I’m maintaining my new tires properly.
    ‘Thanks SpYder Friends.

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've always check my tire pressures cold, that's the way I've always been told to do it. I'm sure others with more knowledge than me will chime in. Dale

Spyder Garage

Always cold.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Tire press

Yes, stone cold.

Spyder Garage

Default Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Always cold.

Thanks everyone! I’ll add air now.

I love this page, everyone is so helpful. I’ve owned my Spyder only 3 weeks and love it!
    Ive learned so much from you guys/gals.
    Have a great Sunday.

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne

Spyder Garage

What you have mentioned about the rear tires is called ballooning. As the tire heats up, the center balloons more than the rest of the tread. This leads to the early wear of the rear tires in the center.

I have been using 26# for cold pressure. At about 18K, the Kenda's still have good center tread, compared to when I used 28# cold.

In the past, 15K was pretty much tops for rear tire mileage on my Kendas.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-29-2018 at 04:08 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

You can change the limits on your FOBO so the alarm isn’t always going off. Just be sure to check the FOBO before you leave on a ride.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Exactly what Ann said, Jarred. I check my cold tyres via FOBO on my iPhone before I leave, and have my warning limits set so that they only let me know if there’s a potential problem forming. My warnings are set to 3psi below and 4psi above my standard pressure. (Which is 20psi for my rear car tyre).

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default Time for a tire?

I bought the trike with 25K on it. Drove it maybe 500 mile. Think it's time for a new fear tire. Let's see if a newbie can load a picture. Don't see anything to add a photo yet. Any way it would make a good racing slick. The guy had 50 hrs 50 pcs of air in it. 30 in the front. It really didn't handle that bad.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wingit3611 View Post
    Let's see if a newbie can load a picture. Don't see anything to add a photo yet.
    Scroll down past the message box and you’ll see an Additional Options box, Wingit.
    Scroll down in there to Attachments and select Manage Attachments.The Add Files box on the top right will take to where you can select a file/photo to upload....You should be able to wingit from there

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRE PSI

Quote Originally Posted by wingit3611 View Post
    I bought the trike with 25K on it. Drove it maybe 500 mile. Think it's time for a new fear tire. Let's see if a newbie can load a picture. Don't see anything to add a photo yet. Any way it would make a good racing slick. The guy had 50 hrs 50 pcs of air in it. 30 in the front. It really didn't handle that bad.
    " It really didn't handle that bad " ...... keep the same PSI's and go for a ride in the RAIN ..... NO Don't that just kidding ..... super over-inflated tires will lose a lot of their traction the more over-inflated it is ..... A Kenda about 17 -F 29 -R .......car tires are different 15 psi - F 18 psi -R ...................Mike

Spyder Garage

Looks like I selected it. Thanks Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Tire Pressure

Always check pressure when tires are cold.
    2017 F3 Limited , Gloss Black with red and carbon fiber accents

Spyder Garage

Under-inflated tires can be dangerous. Pretty much every warning you will ever see about tires is about low pressure, not over inflation.

I have car tires and run 26psi up front and 30psi on the back. It runs great, and I've done just about everything I can to run them hard and limit them, including rain. Heat measured them on multiple rides to see if there were hot spots, and nothing. I, personally, do not like soft shoes because it greatly changes the way it handles for how I like to ride. Plus, soft shoes are really hard to turn even in the driveway!

If you want to go higher, just increase the psi about 2psi each time you go for a ride. You'll see the difference, and decide what you like. Just don't admit here that you may like higher tire pressures.

I'm not the only one that rides with these pressures. They just don't post here as much, as some do, because they don't want to engage some emoji-abusers.
    Last edited by tehrlich; 08-10-2018 at 08:04 AM.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Default Niger worked

HIGHER WORKEd Newbie Bought a couple week ago. F=30, R=50. Dropped to 17 & 28. Hard steering and darts in the corners. Raised front to 29 and now it feels like it's on rails, lighter steering nathually. Vee rubber font, CT in rear
    Last edited by wingit3611; 08-10-2018 at 08:45 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    I'm not the only one that rides with these pressures. They just don't post here as much, as some do, because they don't want to engage some emoji-abusers.
    I'm right there with you on this subject.

Just ignore those who think they are the only ones who know anything.
    Often exactly the opposite is true.

AND.....often those who make the most noise actually have the least to say !!!

Spyder Garage

Default lettering on tires

Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    Under-inflated tires can be dangerous. Pretty much every warning you will ever see about tires is about low pressure, not over inflation.

I have car tires and run 26psi up front and 30psi on the back. It runs great, and I've done just about everything I can to run them hard and limit them, including rain. Heat measured them on multiple rides to see if there were hot spots, and nothing. I, personally, do not like soft shoes because it greatly changes the way it handles for how I like to ride. Plus, soft shoes are really hard to turn even in the driveway!

If you want to go higher, just increase the psi about 2psi each time you go for a ride. You'll see the difference, and decide what you like. Just don't admit here that you may like higher tire pressures.

Curious Who did the lettering on your front tires ?
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Always cold.
    yes that's the way you check air pressure when it cold. The normal is that for every mile you drive adds 1 pound of air to the tire pressure.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLL NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT

Quote Originally Posted by Two cats View Post
    yes that's the way you check air pressure when it cold. The normal is that for every mile you drive adds 1 pound of air to the tire pressure.
    Really .... So what happens if you drive 100 miles ...... Maybe you want to change that ...However I know two recent posters who might just take that as Gospel .................Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Really .... So what happens if you drive 100 miles ...... Maybe you want to change that ...However I know two recent posters who might just take that as Gospel .................Mike
    I heard that from a tire guy one time. I kinda thought he had lost his mind to.but he swore it was true during hot weather. That is why you check tires when they are cold to stabilize the tire pressure before you take off riding. Sorry if I concussed anyone.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    Curious Who did the lettering on your front tires ?
    Had them custom made at www.TireStickers.com. They make lettering for race cars, club racing, etc. You could probably get the same ones I have if you asked them about it.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    I'm right there with you on this subject.

Just ignore those who think they are the only ones who know anything.
    Often exactly the opposite is true.

AND.....often those who make the most noise actually have the least to say !!!
    Ditto.

2015 RT Limited , black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Two cats View Post
    The normal is that for every mile you drive adds 1 pound of air to the tire pressure.
    No that's not right at all.
    Think about it for a minute.