Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire Balancing

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Tire Balancing

I have a 2015 Spyder RT. This Spring I replaced the tires with car tires. I have put about 6,000 miles on these tires. The Rear with General Altimax and the front with Federal AZ01 tires. I removed the wheels and mounted the tires myself. I have a local tire dealer that has a new late model tire balancer. He could balance the front tires but could not balance the rear tire. I purchased from Lamonster Garage a set of centrimatic wheel balancers. I had always used these on my Gold Wing’s and really liked them. When I got them I put the one on the rear wheel but at that time I did not put the front ones on because the Spyder was real smooth. At that time I installed Bajaron Sway Bar and Doc’s vibration damper. Lamonster Garage had sent me a 32 oz. bottle of AmerSeal. Being I am leaving for Sturgis next Sunday today I decided to put the AmerSeal in my tires. I put as close as I could 10 oz’s in rear and 7 oz’s in each front tires. I also decided to remove the weights from my front wheels and put the centrimatic balancer’s on the front. When I did this I marked where and what weights were on each wheel. After putting in the AmerSeal and installing the centrimatic balancer’s I when for a ride. My front fenders, windshield vibrated and shook terrible. It really worried me not knowing if it was the AmerSeal or tire balance. I could not leave it that way. I pulled the front wheels off replaced the same weight where they were and removed the centrimatic balancers. I took it for another ride and it smooth right out. I could not believe it. The first ride I tried to run it up to 80 miles an hour but it shook too much. Second ride I ran it up to 100 mile an hour and it was pretty smooth. I don’t know if the tires were too much out of balance for the centrimatic balancer’s. One tire had 3- ½ oz with a ¼ oz weight. The other tire had 3-1/4 oz weights. Evidently the AmerSeal did not have any effect because I have it in the tires. I just cannot believe the centrimatic balancer’s did not work better. Has anyone else had this problem?
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRE BALANCING

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    I have a 2015 Spyder RT. This Spring I replaced the tires with car tires. I have put about 6,000 miles on these tires. The Rear with General Altimax and the front with Federal AZ01 tires. I removed the wheels and mounted the tires myself. I have a local tire dealer that has a new late model tire balancer. He could balance the front tires but could not balance the rear tire. I purchased from Lamonster Garage a set of centrimatic wheel balancers. I had always used these on my Gold Wing’s and really liked them. When I got them I put the one on the rear wheel but at that time I did not put the front ones on because the Spyder was real smooth. At that time I installed Bajaron Sway Bar and Doc’s vibration damper. Lamonster Garage had sent me a 32 oz. bottle of AmerSeal. Being I am leaving for Sturgis next Sunday today I decided to put the AmerSeal in my tires. I put as close as I could 10 oz’s in rear and 7 oz’s in each front tires. I also decided to remove the weights from my front wheels and put the centrimatic balancer’s on the front. When I did this I marked where and what weights were on each wheel. After putting in the AmerSeal and installing the centrimatic balancer’s I when for a ride. My front fenders, windshield vibrated and shook terrible. It really worried me not knowing if it was the AmerSeal or tire balance. I could not leave it that way. I pulled the front wheels off replaced the same weight where they were and removed the centrimatic balancers. I took it for another ride and it smooth right out. I could not believe it. The first ride I tried to run it up to 80 miles an hour but it shook too much. Second ride I ran it up to 100 mile an hour and it was pretty smooth. I don’t know if the tires were too much out of balance for the centrimatic balancer’s. One tire had 3- ½ oz with a ¼ oz weight. The other tire had 3-1/4 oz weights. Evidently the AmerSeal did not have any effect because I have it in the tires. I just cannot believe the centrimatic balancer’s did not work better. Has anyone else had this problem?
    This is interesting because BRP did something similar .....the Spyders used to have a D.E.S.S. module that worked fine ..... So the engineers decided to fix and or make it better ........we all know how well that worked out ( you especially )......

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think it has to do with the diameter of the Centramatic balancers. Not a lot of room behind the front wheels. You could try putting them back on now. I balanced my new front tires with weights and centamatics. No Ameriseal though.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    I think it has to do with the diameter of the Centramatic balancers. Not a lot of room behind the front wheels. You could try putting them back on now. I balanced my new front tires with weights and centamatics. No Ameriseal though.
    I wander if they are a little small in diameter. If I remember right I think my Gold Wing had two on the front wheel. I know they really worked great on the three Gold Wing's I had.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Could it be that you've added to much in general?

I have the centramatics on all three and the front end is so smooth. They took out minor vibrations that I'd become used to.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Forgot to mention that mine are balanced with weights and centramatics only, as well.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

FWIW, the tire sealant maybe interacting with the Centramatics, forcing an imbalance more than the Centramatics can contend with, I think...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think I am going to leave mind like it is with the front wheels balanced with weights and the AmerSeal in the tires with the centrimatic balancer on the rear. It seems to run pretty smooth. I did check the centrimatic balancers for the front wheel of the Gold Wing. They are about the same diameter of the front for the Spyder but they do use two one on each side of the front wheel. This may be why they work so well on the Gold Wing. On the Spyder there is no way for larger diameter or would be able to put two on.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

I Just installed two Vredestine Quatrac 5 on my 2011 RT without balancing but did install 7 oz. of Amerseal tire sealant in each tire. I've only had it up to about 75MPH but it was real smooth. Amerseal is water soluble so does not create the mess like some others.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OlJim View Post
    I Just installed two Vredestine Quatrac 5 on my 2011 RT without balancing but did install 7 oz. of Amerseal tire sealant in each tire. I've only had it up to about 75MPH but it was real smooth. Amerseal is water soluble so does not create the mess like some others.
    I do like the looks of the AmerSeal and do have it in all three tires. I don't think it effects the balance after you are moving at a good speed.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Default VREDESTEIN TIRES

Since I discovered these tires more and more folks here are trying them .... so far the feedback has been very positive ...... So please keep the feedback coming ..... especially in wet weather riding ....... I think they may be the best performing tire in the wet currently available ( of course the dry handling is even better ).........Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Important Additional Information

Lamont told me about the information below that appears in the information about the front wheel Centramatic balancers.

"Because of the limited space we have to work with the most product they can get in the Spyder ring is 3oz. If you have a wheel and tire that needs more than that, he recommends zero balancing the tire as best you can and then using the Centramatic as a dynamic balancer. This will compensate for tire wear and adjust as needed to a wheel that's not quite right. So we now recommend that you see how many weights you have on your wheel and if it's 3oz or more to leave the weights on."
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Lamont told me about the information below that appears in the information about the front wheel Centramatic balancers.

"Because of the limited space we have to work with the most product they can get in the Spyder ring is 3oz. If you have a wheel and tire that needs more than that, he recommends zero balancing the tire as best you can and then using the Centramatic as a dynamic balancer. This will compensate for tire wear and adjust as needed to a wheel that's not quite right. So we now recommend that you see how many weights you have on your wheel and if it's 3oz or more to leave the weights on."
    Thanks for this information. Both my front wheels were under the 3ozs. One had 1-3/4 ozs and the other had 3/4 oz. I wander if the AmerSeal would cause some off balance. Tomorrow I may put the centrimatic balancers back on with the weights and try it. I know the centrimatic balancers work but maybe my tires and wheels are out of balance to far.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Default Vredestein tire update

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Since I discovered these tires more and more folks here are trying them .... so far the feedback has been very positive ...... So please keep the feedback coming ..... especially in wet weather riding ....... I think they may be the best performing tire in the wet currently available ( of course the dry handling is even better ).........Mike
    To the best of my knowledge I have the only Spyder on this forum rolling Vredestein quatrain 5 on all 3 wheels. As I stated in a previous post the fronts are super smooth and handle great. Today I went on a group ryde and there was a torrential downpour that was kinda freaky bad! I really don’t think any tires could have handled this, but not sure. My rear slid out slightly once and regained control fast. The roads were full of standing water and we slowed it down to 45 mph...I don’t know how much this helps and I didn’t hear or see any real hydroplaning during this storm from the rest of the group (12 Spyder s ).
    Last edited by Jeffmal; 07-30-2018 at 11:12 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default balancing Vredesteins

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmal View Post
    To the best of my knowledge I have the only Spyder on this forum rolling Vredestein quatrain 5 on all 3 wheels. As I stated in a previous post the fronts are super smooth and handle great. Today I went on a group ryde and there was a torrential downpour that was kinda freaky bad! I really don’t think any tires could have handled this, but not sure. My rear slid out slightly once and regained control fast. The roads were full of standing water and we slowed it down to 45 mph...I don’t know how much this helps and I didn’t hear or see any real hydroplaning during this storm from the rest of the group (12 Spyder s ).
    I should mention that my Vredesteins did need a few balance weights but roll nice and smooth...No balancing in the tires!

Spyder Garage

I just took a ride to my nearest gas station, about 5 miles, and at 75 miles per hour with the cruise control on I could actually turn loose of the bars for quite a distance.

Spyder Garage

I just took a ride to my nearest gas station, about 5 miles, and at 75 miles per hour with the cruise control on I could actually turn loose of the bars for quite a distance.
    Yes, they run great ( until you get a nice gust of wind,lol ). The important thing to know on the Vredestein quatrac 5 is they are all season tires which means
    they handle fairly well in all weather conditions including snow. The sportrac 5 are summer tires and are better rated on wet roads. In Florida, I definitely would have preferred
    the sportac 5 but they are difficult to find for the fronts! We don't see much snow in South Fl...

Spyder Garage

Default what size tire ?

Mike, I know you have mentioned this tire before, but I couldn't find the size for "exact match to 2014 RTL fronts". What "different" size should I be looking for?
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Default That tire

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    Mike, I know you have mentioned this tire before, but I couldn't find the size for "exact match to 2014 RTL fronts". What "different" size should I be looking for?
    Look on-line at vulcantire.com , they are a seller ..... 165/65-15,....or a 175/55-15 ...... they have nice prices .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Look on-line at vulcantire.com , they are a seller ..... 165/65-15,....or a 175/55-15 ...... they have nice prices .... Mike
    I went with the 175, they are slightly wider and fit under the fenders with no issues.
    The rear is a 205.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What is a Centramatic? I know it balances tires but what does it look like. How does it work? Does it attach to the rim or ??? Just wondering. Thanks

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    What is a Centramatic? I know it balances tires but what does it look like. How does it work? Does it attach to the rim or ??? Just wondering. Thanks

http://www.lamonstergarage.com/wheel-balancer-1/

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    Thanks for this information. Both my front wheels were under the 3ozs. One had 1-3/4 ozs and the other had 3/4 oz. I wander if the AmerSeal would cause some off balance. Tomorrow I may put the centrimatic balancers back on with the weights and try it. I know the centrimatic balancers work but maybe my tires and wheels are out of balance to far.
    I did reinstall the centrimatic balance rs on my front wheels with my weights and did make it a little smoother. Evidently the tires and the AmerSeal were just to much out of balance for the small diameter of the from centrimatic balance rs. Yesterday I rode it over 200 miles on all kinds road surface. It handles great and rides real smooth. It is to bad there is not room for a larger diameter disc or where you could put two on each wheel like the Gold Wing.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Thanks JC. I may try them.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

While in town this morning I stopped at a privately owned tire shop to see if they could balance my front tires. They said sure to pull it up to the far door and they would take care of it. The mechanic pulled the right front and put it on the balancing machine, he then installed 3 small weights and spun it again, again 3 small weights almost direct opposite of the first 3. I then informed him that I had installed some amerseal and ask if that would make any difference to which he replied "I don't know" so I went to get the shop owner while he installed 3 more small weights. I explained to the owner that I had Amerseal in the tires and he said then they couldn't balance them that the Amerseal should take care of the balancing. They then took off all the weights they had installed and installed the tire back on the bike. It runs fine with just the Amerseal. I just wanted to see if it could be any better, I guess not.