Hybrid View

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HeartHopper View Post
    I use my smartphone for navigation.
    It is amazing how fast the battery drains when on my Spyder.
    I have my phone plugged into the standard Spyder USB port (located in the dash glove box).
    It shows a connection & charge.
    What I do to get by is shut down all bluetooth & WiFi to slow the excessive drain, then turn it on when needed.
    So the real interesting thing is, I use my phone/navigation when driving a car I don't have this issue?

My smartphone mounted on my handle bar, wondering if that has something to do with direct sunlight?

I'm going to try plugging into my rear travel case to rule out USB connection issues.
    If you have an F3 the factory USB cable doesn’t put out much. You will need a different 12 volt source and a USB plug that puts out more power. I put one in the speaker grill on our F3L .
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

For my above dash mounted phone holder, I ordered a Motopower 0609A 3.1Amp Waterproof Motorcycle USB Charger Kit SAE to USB Adapter which takes power right off the bikes 12v
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My phone (LG G5); actually charges while I am using it, and have it plugged into the bike.
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 07-29-2018 at 05:21 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Question

This reply is in response to DGoebel post above "For my above dash mounted phone holder, I ordered a Motopower 0609A 3.1Amp Waterproof Motorcycle USB Charger Kit SAE to USB Adapter which takes power right off the bikes 12v".

I read customer reviews and everyone loves the Motopower 0609A 3.1Amp Waterproof Motorcycle USB Charger Kit but many mention the resistor that reduces voltage from 12v to 5v will drain the battery when not in use. Did you experience this? There appears to be no 'cutoff' to prevent the drain. My take-away is that I would need to put my RTL on a battery tender when not active. Thoughts? PS - I really appreciate your lead on this unit. Cheers!
    Last edited by Danzguy; 08-02-2020 at 08:01 PM. Reason: noobi, learning how to post
    2022 RTL , Matte Black