Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default F3 Limited trunk issue?

My wife noticed that her new 2018 F3 Limited has an issue when closing the trunk. You need to ensure that the tabs on the front side are engaged correctly by manually positioning the trunk lid? This seams strange to me as I have opened and closed several other bikes in show rooms with no issues? I cannot see any way to adjust the lid? Ideas

If we cant figure it out were headed back to the dealer this weekend to get it resolved.

John

Spyder Garage

My 18 does the same thing. Haven't looked into it yet. Will this weekend.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The trunk lid seems to be an issue for a lot of folks. The more of you who return to the dealer with complaints on it may help to get the factory’s attention.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Trunk lid

Yep, got same problem with my 2018. Have to remember to put a little finger pressure on lid so tab slides under and closes properly. My friends 2017 does not have this problem.

Spyder Garage

There is not really anything you can do about it. It helps to when you let it seat to hold the lid from the center and just keep an eye on the alignment. If you are right handed, its usually the left side that seems to not allign because you tend to lower the lid from the left side of the lid. Those top boxs are just very wide because they cover both the seat and a couple of speakers. That is how you can fit 2 full face helmets in at the same time. I have seen that the addition of a top rack will fix that issue to give the lid more stability.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I initially had a fair amount of troubles. Mentioned it to the dealer and they mentioned, that mine is one of the better ones and this is a known issue with the lids. I ended up adding some lube in the metal places, that at least helps with easy (ier) latching at least. As long as I drop/close it centered, I'm generally golden. That's working for me.
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Sorry but when BRP designed the rear trunk lid, somebody fell asleep. I rear trunk lid on the F3L is very cheaply made. I never had a problem on neither of my RTS's as far as closing the trunk lid. I just pushed the lid down and everything aligned perfectly. The rear trunk lid on the F3L is a different story. The F3L lid is just too flexable and you have to be very, very careful when closing it, cause it will never close the same way twice, as all the parts don't line up each time.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Active Member hillbillywhisperer's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My 17 F3 ltd did the same thing. I added the top rack and it is much more stable now. Will still not align sometimes but not near as much.

IMG_6232.jpg

Spyder Garage

I have a 2017 F3 L does the same thing. You have to hold the left side in a little. I know a few others that have the same problem.

Spyder Garage

Default Lid problem update

Installed my new trunk rack. The rigidity of the rack has solved the mis-alignment problem.

Spyder Garage

Took it to the dealer they ended up taking apart the plastic around the lock and said it was loose. It works much better now (not perfect) but better without having to use two hands to close the lid. They did confirm that you should "never" have to slam the lid (as we were told to do) to get it to close. No questions asked they took it in and started working on it right away.

John

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revrent View Post
    Took it to the dealer they ended up taking apart the plastic around the lock and said it was loose. It works much better now (not perfect) but better without having to use two hands to close the lid. They did confirm that you should "never" have to slam the lid (as we were told to do) to get it to close. No questions asked they took it in and started working on it right away.

John
    I did the same thing first day I had my F3. All they did was squirt a lot of lube in the latch area. It is not as much of a problem now. There is a little bit of a learning curve to the art of properly closing your top box, LOL. I just let it down carefully from the center of the lid while just visually checking alignment. Then firmly push down over the latch. It is a pain to think it is closed and get situated in the saddle only to have an error screen telling you it is not closed.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

There is a tiny metal spring strip that is the point of contact sensor on the latch. I did carefully take a tool to bend it up a tiny bit up so the contact with the upper lid is better. Be careful because it can be pulled out very easy.
    2017 F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know of no other top box that is as flimsy as the F3's. BRP needs to fix this inherent problem. No need for all this gerry rigging.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AsphaltEagle View Post
    Yep, got same problem with my 2018. Have to remember to put a little finger pressure on lid so tab slides under and closes properly. My friends 2017 does not have this problem.
    Mine too on my 18 I have to push in on the left side to get to engage correctly.
    I figured a few days in the sun and it would conform.. No Luck. Taking it to the dealer Friday and also get latest dash Firmware
    2018 F3 Limited , Stock Doc Humphrys Intense Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revrent View Post
    My wife noticed that her new 2018 F3 Limited has an issue when closing the trunk. You need to ensure that the tabs on the front side are engaged correctly by manually positioning the trunk lid? This seams strange to me as I have opened and closed several other bikes in show rooms with no issues? I cannot see any way to adjust the lid? Ideas

If we cant figure it out were headed back to the dealer this weekend to get it resolved.

John
    Yep, my 2019 F3 Ltd does the same thing. Have to gently push it in on the left side. I just live with it. Hate to even mention it to a dealer for fear they'll screw something else up. Not much faith in dealers.
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

The lid on my 17 was flimsy too. Adding a luggage rack stiffened it up nicely.
    2017 F3 Limited , Gloss Black with red and carbon fiber accents

Spyder Garage

I put the factory luggage rack on and it now closes perfect every time.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

I added the Show Chrome rack and that helped. And I also find that if I press in the on the latch release as I close the lid, then let go when the lid is seated, it closes with no drama.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I put a rack on my both 16 F3L & then 18 F3L , didn't make much of a difference it still is difficult to close.

Spyder Garage

I took my 18 in for Dash Firmware update and trunk issue. They have filed a claim with BRP to replace the top case lid.
    and of course I will have to quartz coat the new one...
    2018 F3 Limited , Stock Doc Humphrys Intense Red

Spyder Garage

My 2017 Ltd box is the same, told BRP, no response, so I deal with it and after 20K miles I don't think about it anymore. I just automatically adjust it every time I close the box (no I haven't put a rack on the top and don't plan to, I think the top is to flimsy to hold anything on the rack, so I don't want to temp myself by having that rack there). Plus it would take away form the look that I like of a clean box with my strips.
    If you don't want to deal with it, put a rack on the top, no I don't think BRP will ever replace your trunk but may make a future version better........we hope!

O. J.
    Ridin' "Lucille", the MusicMaker
    a 2017 F3 Limited (Pure Magnesium Metallic)
    Wife, Jan, riding "Ruby Jane"
    a 2016 F3-T (Intense Red Pearl)
    2017 F3-Limited , Magnesium (light grey)

Spyder Garage

Upon close examination, I found the two upright latch pins to be too far forward - toward the front of the bike. I moved them a bit rearward and viola, the lid closes nicely.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

My 2018 F3L did the same thing (not engaging trunk tab on left side, unless pushed in place). Since the paint job on the frunk and trunk lids was mottled, after the dealer replaced them, the trunk lid now has issues engaging the tabs on BOTH sides. Sigh...
    2018 Spyder F3 Limited
    Pearl white/dark
    2018 F3 Limited , White pearl

Spyder Garage

hrdware101....There's gotta be adjustments in there, so that the tabs align. Some peeling off of Tupperware and maybe the backrest should reveal it.
    This is another example of why I prefer to do my own maintenance, because there are a lot of guys out there who are dangerous with tools in their hands. And motorcycle shops hire them.