Thread: Liecence Delema

Spyder Garage

Default Liecence Delema

Hi folks, Here's the problem. I just got my permit to drive a trike in NJ, my license test is scheduled for August 15th. I would like a test drive in a dealer lot to see which style I like better, the F3L or the RSL. Every dealer I call tells me the same thing, with a license I can't test drive even in there parking lot. So how am I to determine which model suits me best? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe
    2018 F3L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jlc41 View Post
    Hi folks, Here's the problem. I just got my permit to drive a trike in NJ, my license test is scheduled for August 15th. I would like a test drive in a dealer lot to see which style I like better, the F3L or the RSL. Every dealer I call tells me the same thing, with a license I can't test drive even in there parking lot. So how am I to determine which model suits me best? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe
    You probably will not like it, but After August 15? Will the dealer take YOU for a ride to give you the "feel" of the unit? That is another possibility.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TEST DRIVE

Joe
    ...If you were closer I'd let drive mine ........Mike

Spyder Garage

Joe
    what are you taking the test with?

2015 F3 SE6

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking.....

BRP is giving test rydes and taining. Check and see if any are in your area. They also do demo days at many dealers, our chapter helps out all over southern California, see if any are coming your way. I had to be approved to purchase before they would let me test ryde. Not that I needed to but that was their policy..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I feel your pain.

The government sucks.

So crazy trying to buy a motorcycle, especially w three wheels and can’t test drive.

So you need a bike to get a license, yet you can’t get a bike because you don’t have a license.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    I feel your pain.

The government sucks.

So crazy trying to buy a motorcycle, especially w three wheels and can’t test drive.

So you need a bike to get a license, yet you can’t get a bike because you don’t have a license.

Hello Snoopy, you old dog.

In Arkansas you can test drive a Spyder at our dealer if you have a permit, the only restriction is that you can not have a passenger until you get the full license.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

I was able to "test" drive it in the parking lot of mine w/o the licence, I was NOT allowed on the road. that's probably the loop hole at least here in WA. Keeping in mind, the dealer made sure know where everything was, break, etc before I even turned it on.
    they had a huge lot, with almost no traffic, so that's probably part of why they did.

Glad I did because I was able to test drive both before down payment.

Guess it depends on how comfortable risk for them.
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Default License/class

NJ maybe different from NY, but I signed up for the 3 wheel course (see Can Am website) for only $75 (normally $350). The class is 2 days, half in classroom half on a 2018 Spyder. When u r done w the class they give u a card. Bring the card to DMV and u no longer have to take the DMV road test. And u save money on ur motorcycle insurance! So the class pays for its self in couple years. So for $75 u get to learn a lot, drive a new Spyder, not have to take DMV road test and save money on insurance for the rest of ur life. I really learned a lot, so glad I did it that way.
    ‘Good luck!

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne

Spyder Garage

Default 2 Questions

Joe
    1. What are you going to take your road test on.

2. Why not wait till after the 15th when you have your license and then go test drive a few to see which fits you better?
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Between now and then, go to that dealer and at least sit on the bike you're most interested in for as long as you can or they let you. Get a feel for the ergonomics seating position. and does one seating style suit you over the other. Having grown up as a motocrosser, I couldn't enjoy (that I perceived as) the laid back stretched out feel of the F3's.

Also do you expect most of your riding is gonna be solo or 2 up? If it's mostly solo, then even just sitting on one for an extended time in the showroom should give you an idea how your seating posture will feel to you over time. AND if you're looking at an F3 model more than the RT's, see if the dealer can fit you properly and set a showroom model up as you would buy it. Also all that time with the dealer might convince them more of your intention and that you're not just wanting versus serious about buying.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Hello Snoopy, you old dog.

In Arkansas you can test drive a Spyder at our dealer if you have a permit, the only restriction is that you can not have a passenger until you get the full license.

Cruzr Joe
    Much different here in Va. unless they have changed things in five years.

When I went to our DMV 3 wheel test site 5 years ago, I was told I was the first one to go through the license course. I’m guessing people before me had a regular motorcycle license.

My license only lets me ride 3 wheeled motorcycles, I would have to take another DMV course for a 2 wheeled bike.

When I drove to the test site, 20 miles away I didn’t have a bike license at all. Lol

They never questioned how I got there. Lol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

jlc,
    Email me: I'll let you try mine out. We've got a pretty big School parking lot nearby...

I'm about 250 miles closer to you, than Mike is.
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 07-27-2018 at 07:05 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Patience is a virtue.
    Chill.

You can't always have things EXACTLY the way you want them.......and getting all worked up about it accomplishes nothing good.

Spyder Garage

Default License

Thanks all for the replies. To compound the problem I don't have a trike or know of anyone in the area I can ask to let use there's.
    So I can't take the test and get my license. I will have to cancel my test. My son has a motor cycle license which lets him drive a trike. He says I should rent before making up my mind. Sounds like the way to go.

Bob, thank you very much for your kind offer, I may just take you up on it.

Joe
    2018 F3L , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's a place in North Jersey where you can rent a Spydter.
    I'll see if I can find you some contact info!
    (Give me a couple of hours...)

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There are schools where they supply the m/c, training & test. check to see if you have any of those in your area, they
    do charge but if you really want a bike & a license then that is the way to go.

Spyder Garage

Any chance there is a good dealer in a nearby state that wants to sell you a Spyder? If you have a permit, you should be allowed to legally ride, maybe without a passenger. Go somewhere else, but the bike and enjoy. Your local dealer may not be excited about this, but it does not sound like they care to make a sale. Could be their insurance regulations, but regardless, seems silly to not try and do something.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Try this place:
    The Motorcycle Mall
    655 Washington Ave.
    Belleville, NJ 07109
    (973) 751-4545

Spyder Garage

Thanks Bob, I called them and guess what.... no license no rental.
    I'll have to wait for my son to have some spare time. I will try to find the riders training where they have the trikes and upon completion you get your license.

Thanks again all.

Joe
    2018 F3L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Go to the Rider Education of NJ site for training information: http://rider-ed.com/
    I know they offered the trike course with the BRP price of $75. The dates may be full, but call them to find out if anybody drops out.
    Good Luck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You should be able to drive on the road with a bike permit just like you can a car permit. That's what a permit is for....to learn on the road so you can get your license. Are the laws in NJ different or is this just a dealer thing? If it's just a dealer thing I'd find another dealer.

Spyder Garage

Default NY

I know in NY dealers do not allow test rides except for “Can Am demo days”. They told me it’s a NY State law. That’s what I was told but didn’t confirm w state. That’s why I took the $75 class. Got to drive a F3, didn’t have to take DMV road test just written permit. I “graduated” the class on a Friday bought my Spyder on Monday. Lol.
    NJ and NY seem to have similar laws. That’s why I took the class. And did I mention I save $ on my insurance.
    ‘The class is hands down the best way to get a Spyder imo.
    ‘I wish u good luck, I’m so glad I didn’t wait another season to buy.
    ‘Best of luck.
    😎🕷

2018 RT Limited Metalic Champagne
    US Spyder Ryders Long Island NY Chapter
    2018 RT Limited , Metallic Champagne

Spyder Garage

CanAm demo days with no bike license is riding in a parking lot around in a circle.

Does give you an idea of the fun though. That saying one is close enough to check out.

Spyder Garage

Default Location

Where are you in NJ ????? 2016 F3 L you can try here in the great north west in Jersey