Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quick question about the BRP Connect app. Once it is running on the dash, I can see and change music. look at maps and weather, how do I get back to the regular screen. I have tried everything I could think of to get back to the main home screen so I can look at things like the Stats Screen or just the Tach...(not the BRP Connect Screen). Thanks

Spyder Garage

Press the button behind the left handle bar, the one that used to be the "Push to Talk" button (PTT).
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Spyder Garage

Thank you...

Spyder Garage

Default iPhone Gets very warm

Has anyone noticed that the iPhone (I have an 8 plus) gets very warm while plugged into BRP Connect cable? I was just wondering if other folks phones are getting warm as well. It is really not doing a lot and if it just the charging, then I guess it would be ok.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by maxxheadroom View Post
    Has anyone noticed that the iPhone (I have an 8 plus) gets very warm while plugged into BRP Connect cable? I was just wondering if other folks phones are getting warm as well. It is really not doing a lot and if it just the charging, then I guess it would be ok.
    Do you have a RT? So the phone is in the front trunk. Or do you have F3T/L? So the phone is in the easy bake oven behind the windshield.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Yes, I have an RT and I have extended the cable from the front to the back. I like my phone in the back. The phone got hot in the front trunk and it still does in the back. If I just use bluetooth it does not get hot.

Spyder Garage

Default USB

Quote Originally Posted by nethfel View Post
    And that is what I have - a 2018 Spyder RT (considering I mentioned I had 12.2 on my spyder now I guess I figured it would be understood I had a new unit But BRP claims I don't need an update which makes no sense why some people are getting notifications for 13.2 and BRP seems to have no knowledge about it even based on my VIN.

I picked up my new RT last month. They said all updates were done but when I checked the version is was 12.2. Took it back with the letter and they tried again. The tech was trying to do it via the diagnostic plug not the USB. I told him it should be the USB plug and it updated fine. A little concerned about how BRP sends out info and tech training.

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm curious. If you are running maps and you enter an area without phone service,do you loose maps?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelover63 View Post
    I'm curious. If you are running maps and you enter an area without phone service,do you loose maps?
    No, Genius Maps, Garmin, TomTom and a few other apps download the map data to the phone so it works without cell service. Smartphones have Cell, GPS and WiFi antennas so an old smartphone with no cell service can still be used as a GPS.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelover63 View Post

Sometime i get a out of service area when the skies are bad cloudy or raining, never got that with a garmin though.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gregsi View Post
    I picked up my new RT last month. They said all updates were done but when I checked the version is was 12.2. Took it back with the letter and they tried again. The tech was trying to do it via the diagnostic plug not the USB. I told him it should be the USB plug and it updated fine. A little concerned about how BRP sends out info and tech training.

BRP sent all their dealers a detailed Bulletin with graphics showing how to update to 13.20, apparently your tech/dealer did not read it.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quick question about the BRP Connect app. Once it is running on the dash, I can see and change music. look at maps and weather, how do I get back to the regular screen. I have tried everything I could think of to get back to the main home screen so I can look at things like the Stats Screen or just the Tach...(not the BRP Connect
    creen). Thanks

Be sure that you are at the main BRP Connect screen and then push the button on the backside of the left handlebar. (sometime you need to push the joystick to the left several times slowly to get to the main BRP Connect screen

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Many got the letter and most dealers will already know about it. If this message is from BRP then they really don’t know what they’re doing. No wonder our messages don’t get answered, because they don’t know the answers. Wow!

I will; repeat myself

BRP sent all their dealers a detailed Bulletin with graphics showing how to update to 13.20, apparently your tech/dealer did not read it.

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nethfel View Post
    And that is what I have - a 2018 Spyder RT (considering I mentioned I had 12.2 on my spyder now I guess I figured it would be understood I had a new unit But BRP claims I don't need an update which makes no sense why some people are getting notifications for 13.2 and BRP seems to have no knowledge about it even based on my VIN.

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

Yes, I have an RT and I have extended the cable from the front to the back. I like my phone in the back. The phone got hot in the front trunk and it still does in the back. If I just use bluetooth it does not get hot.
    Charging will make heat. Faster the charge the more heat. The usb plug on the Spyder does not charge fast.

Power consumption. As your phone uses more power. More heat is produced. So power use = heat.

Cell radio uses more power the farther away from the tower you are.
    Active BT radio uses power. The busier it is more power used.
    More apps open. More power used.
    Some apps use more power than others.
    GPS app uses a lot of power compared to other apps. Turns on GPS chips and they use power. There is a lot of calculations done by the phone processor. More power used.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I have determined it is the BRP Connect app that is causing the heat. With just the Connect app and music running it is very warm, I am not even using Maps. When I stop and take the phone out the only thing running (iPhone 8) is the Connect App. If I just use bluetooth without the BRP connect app and use the Music and have the weather and default maps running in the background the phone never gets hot. What is the BRP Connect app doing that is using so much processor that the phone gets warm to the touch? Anyway... I like the bluetooth music screen better than the Connect music screen so I am going back to just bluetooth... I am not a Genius so I never used the Genius Maps, the weather I guess I can look at the sky, and if I am rolling I am inflated... (Just Kidding)

Spyder Garage

I have determined it is the BRP Connect app that is causing the heat. With just the Connect app and music running it is very warm, I am not even using Maps. When I stop and take the phone out the only thing running (iPhone 8) is the Connect App. If I just use bluetooth without the BRP connect app and use the Music and have the weather and default maps running in the background the phone never gets hot. What is the BRP Connect app doing that is using so much processor that the phone gets warm to the touch? Anyway... I like the bluetooth music screen better than the Connect music screen so I am going back to just bluetooth... I am not a Genius so I never used the Genius Maps, the weather I guess I can look at the sky, and if I am rolling I am inflated... (Just Kidding)
    You may be right. The connect app may use a lot of power. Just have not really looked at that app by itself. I am using an Android phone. It's mounted on my handlebars. So it stays cool enough. When using the connect app and Genius Maps. The usb connection from the Spyder can barely keep my battery charged. But on the other hand if I intentionally lock my phone before connecting the usb cable. The connect app will not start. The BT audio and the phone functions work great. In fact the BT audio is better. But the interesting thing is. The phone seems to charge up in no time.

I think I am going to uninstall the connect app on my phone. That way it will not autostart when I don't want it to. I would rather disable it. But I have not found a way to do that.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I too moved the Iphone to the handlebars so that it stays cooler and i have easier access to it if needed.

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Floridian2017 View Post
    Does anybody have or had a problem with the dealer download the new update on the 2018's spyder?
    I just bought my 2018 Spyder RT. Is there an update to the BRP Connect app already? If so, what does it do and where can I get it? I've been having some issues with the software.

Spyder Garage

Quick question about the BRP Connect app. Once it is running on the dash, I can see and change music. look at maps and weather, how do I get back to the regular screen. I have tried everything I could think of to get back to the main home screen so I can look at things like the Stats Screen or just the Tach...(not the BRP Connect Screen). Thanks
    You can either push the BRP connect button in front of the left side of the handlebar or press and hold the center of the toggle navigation button.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm using the new Sygic GPS app and find it much easier to use. I hade it working all day Saturday and whenever I removed the phone from the dash it was not hot. I use an iPhone 8. Make sure app apps are updated as well as the OS. Sometimes not doing this can make for a warmer phone.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    My Android phone works, for the most part, the same as Flamewinger describes. So I don't think whatever issues you are describing is a Android vs IPhone difference. The big difference between IPhone and Android is apps. Android does not have Accuweather or Rever yet.

Android's Google Play store does have Accuweather and Rever available for download but the BRP app does not work with them yet. I don't know why but I've been using them outside of the BRP Connect app.

Spyder Garage

Also, press and hold the center of the toggle switch in and it will take you back to the beginning of the menu.'

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzi1 View Post
    I just bought my 2018 Spyder RT. Is there an update to the BRP Connect app already? If so, what does it do and where can I get it? I've been having some issues with the software.
    On the Spyder, it should be at 13.20.

It was released in late July or August, if your Spyder is recent, your dealer should have updated it.

Go to the "About" option on the menus to find out your current version.

Contact your dealer if not up to date.
    2018 RT LTD , Black