Thread: Tire size

Spyder Garage

Default Tire size

I am at a tire shop and the owner is a little worried about the new rear tire that I have for him to install might rub the tire size is 215-60 R15 general altimax. Will they fit ok without rubbing

2015 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up YES

The General in the stated size will fit----- I and many, many others use it with satisfaction.
    Lew L
    Last edited by Lew L; 07-25-2018 at 12:35 PM.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    The General in the stated size will fit----- I and many, many others use it with satisfaction.
    Lew L
    Ok thanks he is installing it now as I speak but he wants me to sign a waiver to say he is not responsible if something happens

2015 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Your Welcome
    Everyone is afraid of litigation...... I have not heard of a General tire failure on a . I'm sure others will chime in.

Lew L

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 215/60-15

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Your Welcome
    Everyone is afraid of litigation...... I have not heard of a General tire failure on a . I'm sure others will chime in.

Lew L
    , with Lew ............ And just a thought on the " Should I have it balanced " thing ........ Today' car /trk tires are to the point of BALANCING is not necessary ...... I haven't had my last four Spyder tires balanced and there have been NO issues ....... I mount my own tires and my last EIGHT tires for my truck I didn't balance either - other than line up the DOT with the Valve stem ..... I tested them on the front and ALL where vibe free ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default I Put a

225/60R/15 General Altimax RT43 on my 2010 RTSE5, We ride 2 up 95 percent of the time and have never had a tire rub!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rookiespyder View Post
    I am at a tire shop and the owner is a little worried about the new rear tire that I have for him to install might rub the tire size is 215-60 R15 general altimax. Will they fit ok without rubbing

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The worst thing that a 215/60-15 Altimax will do: make your speedometer more accurate!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Fits on our F3L 13,000 miles so far
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    , with Lew ............ And just a thought on the " Should I have it balanced " thing ........ Today' car /trk tires are to the point of BALANCING is not necessary ...... I haven't had my last four Spyder tires balanced and there have been NO issues ....... I mount my own tires and my last EIGHT tires for my truck I didn't balance either - other than line up the DOT with the Valve stem ..... I tested them on the front and ALL where vibe free ..... Mike
    He did not balance them and it seems fine going down the hwy. I told him that I was going by your recommendations on the tire size. All of your posts on tires seem to make perfect sense to me so I went with it. Thanks Mike

2015 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Default TIRE BALANCING - THINGY

He did not balance them and it seems fine going down the hwy. I told him that I was going by your recommendations on the tire size. All of your posts on tires seem to make perfect sense to me so I went with it. Thanks Mike
    .WOW.... Thanks for the compliment .. and agreeing with my tire choice ....let's try two for two , I seriously recommend 17-18 psi in that rear tire ..... and if you have car tires on the front go with 15 psi in those. Car tires on a Spyder need much less pressure to work at their optimum ...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Today' car /trk tires are to the point of BALANCING is not necessary ......
    So I guess that those weights that I have on my rims were put there just for show ???

Desirable and necessary are two different things.

Spyder Garage

.WOW.... Thanks for the compliment .. and agreeing with my tire choice ....let's try two for two , I seriously recommend 17-18 psi in that rear tire ..... and if you have car tires on the front go with 15 psi in those. Car tires on a Spyder need much less pressure to work at their optimum ...... Mike

Mike, I've got federal formoza' s on the front. You're recommending 15 psi? I also really trust your research. Rich
    2018 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    2013 Spyder RTS SE5
    2004 GOLDWING
    2012 Suzuki Burgman
    2001 Honda Silverwing
    1999 Honda Helix
    1976 Goldwing
    1982 Honda Silverwing
    1972 Honda 500 four

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    So I guess that those weights that I have on my rims were put there just for show ???
    Perhaps you've got them just to show how unbalanced YOU are!

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Smile No balancing weights

When I had the General tire put on my ( At the dealer BTW ) it balanced with no weights. So it happens more often than one might imagine.

Lew L
    Last edited by Lew L; 07-25-2018 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Speeling

Spyder Garage

Default RESEARCH TIRE PSI

[QUOTE=rvanbeek;1379755]Mike, I've got federal formoza' s on the front. You're recommending 15 psi? I also really trust your research. Rich[/QUOTE} In truth ( and it will set you " tehrlich " ) I really haven't done the research on this issue ..... But my instructors at school sure did ...... and that's what matters.... Everything I learned was from professionals ........ and YES 15 psi in the front allows a car tire on a Spyder to work at it's optimum ....and on that " well it feels loose or squishy " thing I've seen many hours of video's taken using Car tires and watching up close EXACTLY what a tire and Rim are doing at speed in the wet and dry ...depending on what G- force you are exerting ( along with proper PSI for the weight ) - the rim will deflect sideways ...but the tire TREAD stays flat on the road surface ..... this is normal, I've also seen what occurs using tires that are over-inflated for the LOAD they are carrying ..... #1. - there is a tendency to balloon which causes #2. - loss of traction because the entire TREAD is no longer in contact with the surface. I'm sure Peter Aawen would agree with this.....hope this sets your mind at ease ...Mike

Spyder Garage

I had them put in 22 pounds in the rear I was not real sure what PSI so I went with that for now. As for the fronts they are still the original kenda until they wear out. How many miles do u get out of them before they are done I have 18000 miles on them now.
    Now my next question to you Mike is how hard of a job is it to install front and rear break pads.

2015 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Default POSTING ANSWERS

I had them put in 22 pounds in the rear I was not real sure what PSI so I went with that for now. As for the fronts they are still the original kenda until they wear out. How many miles do u get out of them before they are done I have 18000 miles on them now.
    Now my next question to you Mike is how hard of a job is it to install front and rear break pads.
    R S - there is a hugh amount ( at least 50,000 words which I'm not going to type ) of Science - that say for the weight of the Spyder 17-18 psi works best using a car tire on the rear ............. Kenda's .. I'll just state they are ONLY 50% of want goes into making an average Car tire ..;.So what do you think you end up with ....... On the front they will give decent MILEAGE 20 to 25,000 mi...if you have excellent alignment ... A " Vredestein Quatrac 5 " could get 40,000 mi. ( I'm not joking , it's that good ) ...... read some of my other tire psi posts /threads ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Yes, the General Altimax tire fits, I am running the General Altimax on the rear, in the that size. Also I have 17,176 miles on the General Altimax tire.

I like it.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

R S - there is a hugh amount ( at least 50,000 words which I'm not going to type ) of Science - that say for the weight of the Spyder 17-18 psi works best using a car tire on the rear ............. Kenda's .. I'll just state they are ONLY 50% of want goes into making an average Car tire ..;.So what do you think you end up with ....... On the front they will give decent MILEAGE 20 to 25,000 mi...if you have excellent alignment ... A " Vredestein Quatrac 5 " could get 40,000 mi. ( I'm not joking , it's that good ) ...... read some of my other tire psi posts /threads ... Mike
    I do not think that I can get those Vredestein tires here in Canada. I know that I can get federal's here.

2015 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Hi Mike,

Well I will find out about the Vredestein's as I have a pair on order with Tire Rack for replacing the OEM's on the F3. 30,000 miles on the OEM fronts and the right tire is getting thin on the sides where as the left tire looks good for 10,000 more miles. I had called the past owner to find out when the left tire was replaced as it has so much more tread than the right tire.
    He told me the fronts have never been changed.
    I am going to have Joe and Ann check the alignment on Aug 23rd to be sure, but I think it's just the way the OEM's are made.

Les
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Hi Mike,

Well I will find out about the Vredestein's as I have a pair on order with Tire Rack for replacing the OEM's on the F3. 30,000 miles on the OEM fronts and the right tire is getting thin on the sides where as the left tire looks good for 10,000 more miles. I had called the past owner to find out when the left tire was replaced as it has so much more tread than the right tire.
    He told me the fronts have never been changed.
    I am going to have Joe and Ann check the alignment on Aug 23rd to be sure, but I think it's just the way the OEM's are made.

Les
    What size Vredesteins did you get because they say I can not get 165/55R15

2015 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

What size Vredesteins did you get because they say I can not get 165/55R15
    175/55R15.

I have Kumho's in this size on the RT with same fender type so I am confident that these will fit the F3
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default In Canada...

I do not think that I can get those Vredestein tires here in Canada. I know that I can get federal's here.
    ...you can get Kumho KH16 or Hankook V4 in 175/55R15 for the front. Fits nicey and ride very well. ...much better tha kendas.

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...