Thread: Towed?

Spyder Garage

Default Towed?

Queston..... Can a Spyder F3 be safetly towed? I don't mean on a trailer. I mean on its own wheels behind another vehicle.
    If two F3's are riding together and one breaks down can it be towed by the other without causing damage or additional damage to the either?
    If the towed machine's engine is not running, thus not pumping oil, will it be damaged even if towed in neutral?
    I'm not talking across country, just to get it to help or a safe location.
    Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AsphaltEagle View Post
    Queston..... Can a Spyder F3 be safetly towed? I don't mean on a trailer. I mean on its own wheels behind another vehicle.
    If two F3's are riding together and one breaks down can it be towed by the other without causing damage or additional damage to the either?
    If the towed machine's engine is not running, thus not pumping oil, will it be damaged even if towed in neutral?
    I'm not talking across country, just to get it to help or a safe location.
    Thanks.
    Good question. Not technical enough to answer about the oil question. If towed so the front wheels are down, I would be hinky about front end damage if it bottomed out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Not according to the manual

NOTICE If the vehicle must betransported, do not have it towed— towing can seriously damage thevehicle. Refer to TRANSPORTINGTHE VEHICLE in this section for de-tailed instructions.

NOTICE Do not tow the Spyderroadster — towing can seriouslydamage the vehicle drive system.

When contacting a towing or trans-porting service, be sure to ask if theyhave a flatbed trailer, loading ramp orpower ramp to safely lift the vehicleand tie-down straps. Ensure the vehi-cle is properly transported as specifiedin this section.

If your vehicle needs to be transported,it should be carried on a flatbed trailerof the proper size and capacity.

3. EXCLUSIONS — ARE NOT WARRANTED

– Incidental or consequential damages, including without limitation towing,storage, telephone, rental, taxi, inconvenience, insurance coverage, loanpayments, loss of time or loss of income
    - Incidental or consequential damages, including without limitation, expensefor gasoline, expense for transporting the Product to and from the authorizedDistributor/Dealer, mechanic’s travel time, trailering or towing, storage, tele-phone, cell phone, fax or telegram charges, rental of a like or replacementProduct during warranty services or down time, taxi, travel, lodging, loss of ordamage to personal property, inconvenience, cost of insurance coverage, loanpayments, loss of time, loss of income, revenue or profits, or loss of enjoymentor use of Product.

Not sure if anyone's towed it other than on the flatbed

Spyder Garage

Default Towed

Thank you

Exactly what i was looking for.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default towing

Quote Originally Posted by Don'tPanic View Post
    NOTICE If the vehicle must betransported, do not have it towed— towing can seriously damage thevehicle. Refer to TRANSPORTINGTHE VEHICLE in this section for de-tailed instructions.

NOTICE Do not tow the Spyderroadster — towing can seriouslydamage the vehicle drive system.

When contacting a towing or trans-porting service, be sure to ask if theyhave a flatbed trailer, loading ramp orpower ramp to safely lift the vehicleand tie-down straps. Ensure the vehi-cle is properly transported as specifiedin this section.

If your vehicle needs to be transported,it should be carried on a flatbed trailerof the proper size and capacity.

3. EXCLUSIONS — ARE NOT WARRANTED

– Incidental or consequential damages, including without limitation towing,storage, telephone, rental, taxi, inconvenience, insurance coverage, loanpayments, loss of time or loss of income
    - Incidental or consequential damages, including without limitation, expensefor gasoline, expense for transporting the Product to and from the authorizedDistributor/Dealer, mechanic’s travel time, trailering or towing, storage, tele-phone, cell phone, fax or telegram charges, rental of a like or replacementProduct during warranty services or down time, taxi, travel, lodging, loss of ordamage to personal property, inconvenience, cost of insurance coverage, loanpayments, loss of time, loss of income, revenue or profits, or loss of enjoymentor use of Product.

Not sure if anyone's towed it other than on the flatbed
    BRP is thinking about long distance towing ..... not a few miles to a dealer ....... Snowmobiles weren't supposed to be towed either , however I' ve seen it done numerous times ........just use common sense ......jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

If you must tow the trick is to disconnect the belt . But like Mike said....to safety or dealer close by.... should be alright...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Oops, thought the thread title said Toad.

Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You want to tow one with another Spyder? Doesn’t sound like a good idea to me. The Spyder is not designed to tow its own weight.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default FAT SPYDER

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    You want to tow one with another Spyder? Doesn’t sound like a good idea to me. The Spyder is not designed to tow its own weight.
    ..... " Not designed " is the key words here ..... However the main reason for not going over 400 lbs ..... is STOPPING that load.....This by NO means is a recommendation that it is OK to try this, ...However desperate times may require desperate measures.