Spyder Garage

Default 2016 RT Heated Grips

HI all, I live in south west Florida, and heated grips are a total waste here. I've accidentally hit the switch several times while turning off the parking brake, and let me tell you, my heated grips work very well. But again, not needed. I would like to disable the switch or the grips, either way, with a temporary fix, just in case I decide to (shudder) take a trip into the cold north. But I don't want to just pull the connector off from the switch, which would leave it open to potential moisture issues.

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Try to find a small piece of rubber block that you could cut in two and wedge each piece under the ends of the double throw switch. Neatly cut and fit no one would know they are there.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

See if there is a fuse for the grips, if there is then just pull it and if you ever need them put it back in

Ride safe
    2015 RT L , Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin2488485 View Post
    See if there is a fuse for the grips, if there is then just pull it and if you ever need them put it back in

Ride safe
    I'm in the same basic situation......but have been too lazy to look up the fuse assignment.

Even when I lived "up north" I didn't ride when it was cold enough that you needed more than riding gloves.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin2488485 View Post

Ride safe
    There is not. The grips are on the same fuse as the horn and rear shock compressor. The ACS and grip heaters are controlled by the load shedding relay.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Well thanks for all the input. I guess I'll try an old Navy Electronics school trick and put some scotch tape on the connectors. As this is low voltage the thin tape will block the current with out being so thick that it is difficult get the plug back together.

Have fun and ride safe.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This almost never happens anymore! You will get used to it, and if you sell it, people may want that feature!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rishathra View Post
    Well thanks for all the input. I guess I'll try an old Navy Electronics school trick and put some scotch tape on the connectors. As this is low voltage the thin tape will block the current with out being so thick that it is difficult get the plug back together.
    BUT.....any kind of tape will likely "foul" the connection if left on there very long.

Just unplug the output wire at the switch and secure it........and insulate as necessary.
    No need to plug it back in.

(I just tried to do this on mine and found that the switch pops out easy enough but it won't come up far enough to get to the connections on the bottom......I assume because there isn't enough slack in the wires. Too bad. That would have been REALLY easy.)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have found it useful. I've used mine a few times in the winter, but it does get colder here in the panhandle. Dale

Spyder Garage

Default I like the wedge idea!

"Try to find a small piece of rubber block that you could cut in two and wedge each piece under the ends of the double throw switch. Neatly cut and fit no one would know they are there."

I'm going to my 'junk' drawer to look for some pieces to cut and wedge in both ends of that rocker. In AZ I don't need heated grips!