Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Newb. 2009 GS SE5 for wife. 21k miles. Clean, two owner machine. Oh boy!!

So I'll be handling the maintenance on this bad boy and just had a few questions for the group. I've been riding and wrenching on bikes for quite a long time but this thing is a little different to say the least!

1. Belt tension? I purchased a Gates Cricket and am looking for an answer on what the tension should be when using the tool.
    2. Rear tire opinions? The Kenda needs replacing. I've read that their are a few automotive tires that work just as good, if not better than the Kenda at a much lower price point. I'm open to suggestions....
    3. Oil changes. Just buy the Can Am kit or is there better, less expensive options?
    4. Any "gotcha's" to be looking out for with these bikes? I had an '02 Aprilia RSV Mille that had essentially the same engine as this. I know they are pretty hard to kill. The belt drive, "automatic" transmission, and front end suspension/alignment are going to be the "learn as I go" stuff.
    5. Smaller riders...My wife is 5'1" on a good day. I already have a set of RIVCO bar risers on order. Anything else I can do to get the bike better suited to her size? Peg adjustments? Floorboards? Seats?

I'm sure I'll be able to find a lot of this info while I continue to search the forums but just wanted to reach out, say hi, and pick folks brains while I was at it.

LJ Allen

Spyder Garage

and on your

I cannot offer any mechanical advice--but there are many here who will jump in.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aceboy74 View Post
    So I'll be handling the maintenance on this bad boy and just had a few questions for the group. I've been riding and wrenching on bikes for quite a long time but this thing is a little different to say the least!

1. Belt tension? I purchased a Gates Cricket and am looking for an answer on what the tension should be when using the tool.
    2. Rear tire opinions? The Kenda needs replacing. I've read that their are a few automotive tires that work just as good, if not better than the Kenda at a much lower price point. I'm open to suggestions....
    3. Oil changes. Just buy the Can Am kit or is there better, less expensive options?
    4. Any "gotcha's" to be looking out for with these bikes? I had an '02 Aprilia RSV Mille that had essentially the same engine as this. I know they are pretty hard to kill. The belt drive, "automatic" transmission, and front end suspension/alignment are going to be the "learn as I go" stuff.
    5. Smaller riders...My wife is 5'1" on a good day. I already have a set of RIVCO bar risers on order. Anything else I can do to get the bike better suited to her size? Peg adjustments? Floorboards? Seats?

I'm sure I'll be able to find a lot of this info while I continue to search the forums but just wanted to reach out, say hi, and pick folks brains while I was at it.

LJ Allen
    I run my tension at 160 lbs with the wheel on the ground. Be sure to check it at several different places to make sure on tight spots in the belt. I'm running a Yokohama S Drive 205/55/15 18 lbs. What sold me on this tire is wet traction, dry traction and a good water groove displacement. There are so many different opinions on tires. Oil another topic discussion. I would suggest amzoil 10w40 full synthenic. Ron Baja is a member here and can hook you up on filters and oil. Make sure to keep rpm 4200 and above on the SE5. They don't like the lower rpm on the automatic. You can also add the 1" block below the handle bars along with the Rivco risers and you still have enough slack in the wires and cables. There is a ton of info and fellow riders that can help out on just about any issues.
    David

Spyder Garage

Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aceboy74 View Post

LJ Allen
    Welcome aboard. The biggest pain in the butt is removing body panels. I have an RT so I can't speak to specifics on a GS. BajaRon sells a kit with the right filters for the engine and transmission, I would go with that and just get the valvoline synthetic oil at wally world for cheaper dollars. If you have the original oil drain plugs (Hex key) then you probably want to get an upgraded set before you do the oil change. The plug on the oil sump on mine stripped so I ended up siphoning it all out and will put a new plug in at the next go round.

Lots of discussion on tires, I'm running a Yokohama on mine. Lots of threads to look through for what folks have done in the past. But if you've had experience wrenching, then nothing you cant handle.
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Search the forums for problems seen!

My wifes byke is a 2008GS (same as yours).

Search BRP notices & recalls!

1. Front sprocket. Keep an eye on it for red dust. "common" problem is the teeth wear out or the bolt gets loose. A friends' 2009 just stopped on the road, the bolt snapped! Torque should be 115ft lbs. cheapcycleparts.com has the bolt & sprocket cheap.

2. Gear Box Position Sensor (GBPS). Can search for this here too. Another common thing is sticking in gear, or trans light flashing. This sensor gives a 0V to 5V signal back to the computer on what gear it is in. It is a cheaply made part that goes bad on a lot of bikes. This sensor is behind the front pulley.

3. Oil in air box. Very common. Search it here. Several posts on a quick fix with a check valve. Over time oil gets sucked up into the air box.

4. Should be about 1/8" to 1/16' between the belt edge and the pulley wall on rear sprocket. I've noticed two bikes in our group where
    the edge was rubbing a little. That belt is $$.

5. Oil level is critical. Check with warm engine. Too little and the tranny will act up.

6. There was a tech bulletin about grounding the coil pack. Its on left side. If not there, run a wire from the coil frame to a good ground nearby. The electrical noise can cause random weirdness with the trans computer CanBus communications.

7. BRP parts for 2008-2010 GS/RS are cheap on EBay. I got rims for $115 shipped! Picked up a rear seat cowl cheap.

When working on the belt, front pulley, replacing the GBPS, etc. use the shock bolt to get belt off. Take off the lower shock bolt nut (13mm). Slowly jack up about midway on the bike on the center frame. The rear A-Frame will reach a point where the bolt will slide right out. Then keep jacking until the belt is loose. This way you will not mess with the rear tire adjustments.

I have the PDF shop manual, I can send if you give PM me an email address.

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images