Spyder Garage

Default 13' RTL - GPS power questions

Hi, I have a 2013 RTL with the stock Garmin GPS. Wanting to remove the GPS and install a phone bracket and possibly a cup holder. Wondering if the GPS power can be converted to iPhone with an adaptor or accessory? Also, how does one remove the power cable from the Garmin bracket, or is it permanently fixed? Thanks

Photo of the Garmin power/bracket..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ibdone View Post
    Hi, I have a 2013 RTL with the stock Garmin GPS. Wanting to remove the GPS and install a phone bracket and possibly a cup holder. Wondering if the GPS power can be converted to iPhone with an adaptor or accessory? Also, how does one remove the power cable from the Garmin bracket, or is it permanently fixed? Thanks

Photo of the Garmin power/bracket..
    The Garmin mount connects to the radio for power and sound. That connection is done near the rear right of the fuel tank. If you want to remove the mount take it all out.

If you want power for an iphone. Install a usb power plug.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The GPS power supply is 12 volts coming from the radio. You could connect a 12 v to 5 v USB power adapter to it, but I wouldn't recommend it. USB power adapters can be notorious for generating RF noise. I tried it on the 2013 RT I had. The USB adapter generated noise and it was fed right into the radio via the power supply, making the radio impossible to hear clearly. I finally added USB power adapter connected to the battery and positioned under the headlights, away from the cluster. That works.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The Garmin mount connects to the radio for power and sound. That connection is done near the rear right of the fuel tank. If you want to remove the mount take it all out.

If you want power for an iphone. Install a usb power plug.
    Thanks for that information, really appreciate it. Does the mount disconnect from the power? Or is it hard-wired to the mount and must be disconnected from the battery? The reason I ask is because the powerwire going into the mount seems somewhat difficult to disconnect, don't want to break anything... ThanksIMG_6453.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The GPS power supply is 12 volts coming from the radio. You could connect a 12 v to 5 v USB power adapter to it, but I wouldn't recommend it. USB power adapters can be notorious for generating RF noise. I tried it on the 2013 RT I had. The USB adapter generated noise and it was fed right into the radio via the power supply, making the radio impossible to hear clearly. I finally added USB power adapter connected to the battery and positioned under the headlights, away from the cluster. That works.
    Fantastic tip! Will pull a new USB wire in lieu of an adaptor. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Thanks for that information, really appreciate it. Does the mount disconnect from the power? Or is it hard-wired to the mount and must be disconnected from the battery? The reason I ask is because the powerwire going into the mount seems somewhat difficult to disconnect, don't want to break anything... ThanksIMG_6453.jpg
    The connection you have pictured does NOT disconnect. The only connections are under the side cover and all you have to do is unplug them. I would recommend either getting the caps that BRP has for the plugs, or taping them up to keep dirt and moisture out. just in case you, or a future owner decides they want GPS on it in the future.
    2016 F3T SM6 - Wife's Bike - Blank Canvas
    2017 Kawasaki Concours 14
    2016 Victory Magnum - Mods in progress
    2013 Suzuki M109R - Has a few mods

Spyder Garage

The power is not from the battery it is from the radio. As said in the other posts. Disconnect the Garmin harness from the Spyder harness. Location right rear fuel tank area. Then install a usb adapter power cord or socket. Something like this from Lamonster Garage: http://www.lamonstergarage.com/motor...ply-lamonster/

Tap into the front accessory circuit. That powers the optional 12V socket in the front trunk.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Thanks much for everyones help...