Spyder Garage

Default SOME OPINIONS, PLEASE

For those folks that use a smartphone app for navigation, what do you use and/or prefer? I have used Waze & Google turn-by turn (forget what it's called) and find them to be at least as good as my Garmin Zumo 660, and in some cases better. I am soon to be without the Garmin, so I'm looking for opinions and recommendations as to what's out there and works well. Thanks in advance for any replies.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use Android Auto with the google maps and its been dead on accurate compared to the GPS.

The only drawback is the data usage on the cell phone.

Now keep in mind this is being used in my truck.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Google maps for navigation but Waze is on for cops.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Google maps.

Spyder Garage

I neglected to mention in my post that data usage is not an issue for me. I have a "grandfathered" plan with 15 GB & with 3 phones on the plan, we have never used more than 1 1/2 GB in any given month.
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Start using Google maps more often and watch it eat up data.

Once in awhile you should be fine.

Spyder Garage

Default Google maps with offline maps

I download google maps of the area I’ll be riding in to my phone because sometimes there is no cell reception.

SPYDERGAL

Spyder Garage

Google Maps is not a navigation app, Waze is. I use Waze to navigate and 99.9% of the time it will direct me turn by turn to the door of the shop in the parking lot. Google Maps will often put me somewhere a few blocks away or around the corner on the wrong street. I do use Google Maps as a replacement for paper maps when looking for something nearby, such as someplace to eat. I use Waze daily for work in my cage as I am almost always going someplace I haven't been before.

That being said, I learned the hard way that when on the motorcycle and you get into the twisties in southern VA and northern NC and run out of cellular coverage Waze just wants to crash. I have bought a Garmin Zumo 660LM for those times.
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I get opposite results with waze and google maps.
    Google maps pretty much gets me where I’m going but waze... I only leave on for alerts for cops.
    I gave up on waze after few funky directions I was getting from it.
    I use about 50-110 gigs of data a month and once in awhile I get depriotized(or could just in slower coverage area) and maps slow down a bit but it’s not much of a problem and I use google maps with satellite and traffic on 100% of time.
    Last edited by aka1004; 07-18-2018 at 08:25 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default WAZE

Like waze for the police alerts! And it does exceptionally well at avoiding traffic delays.

Spyder Garage

We use Waze everywhere we go and have not had the problem yet, been using for at least 2 years (knock on wood). I did have Google maps take me to a trailer park in Dumfries Va. while looking for a restaurant my wife wanted to try. Although frustrating that we drove 45 mins to go to this restaurant it was funny the we ended up in the middle of a trailer park.

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    I get opposite results with waze and google maps.
    Google maps pretty much gets me where I’m going but waze... I only leave on for alerts for cops.
    I gave up on waze after few funky directions I was getting from it.
    I use about 50-110 gigs of data a month and once in awhile I get depriotized(or could just in slower coverage area) and maps slow down a bit but it’s not much of a problem and I use google maps with satellite and traffic on 100% of time.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don’t trust any maps/Navi 100%.
    I find the place on google maps, zoom in to take a look then I always take a look at route the google map gives me before I head out. It’s easy to do on google maps and quick.
    Google finds better route on the way and ask if I want to switch routes.

I can find place to eat, sleep, fuel and get their opening hours, menu, how people like their food, mattresses AND how to get there. All in one app and I trust google’s gathered data over any other app although it’s not 100% but I don’t think anything is.

It’s funny and weird that apple can make a lot of things work so well but can not get a map app together.
    Last edited by aka1004; 07-18-2018 at 09:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

Check out Myroute-app, has curvier and hillier routing options, can be used web based or mobile device based, can create turn by turn routes and share them with others, and can export those routes in all GPS common formats for importing into "old fashioned" GPS'.... or just use it on your dash mounted phone. If you make your routes at home you can download the offline maps over your home wireless connection before travelling and use VERY little data while on the drive, but still have detailed Google Maps data. (or use other mapping layers/overlays).
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I use WAZE.
    As it is constantly being updated on traffic conditions via the user community and their maps seem to be the most correct especially when it comes to POIs

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    For those folks that use a smartphone app for navigation, what do you use and/or prefer? I have used Waze & Google turn-by turn (forget what it's called) and find them to be at least as good as my Garmin Zumo 660, and in some cases better. I am soon to be without the Garmin, so I'm looking for opinions and recommendations as to what's out there and works well. Thanks in advance for any replies.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Not often but I have done a combination of using my phone google maps & Zuma. one case the address could not be found (some back woods airport) so google got me close, I used satellite view & found it, dropped a pin & routed that way. Plugged phone to aux so I could hear it, then used the Garmin as the screen worked surprisingly well

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I use Google Maps on my Android. Waze has gotten itself lost on me one too many times for city driving. For highway driving they work about the same for me.

2017 Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

For the shorter routes, I use Waze. Google maps for "what's in the area" but Waze 100% for navigation.

However, for planning the longer routes with motorcycle option, use InRoute app. You can break up the legs, create sections where you want to take a side trip and store them for later (bookmark). I started using this since Google maps doesn't seem to like to keep or have hilly/motorcycle/leg creation.
    2017 F3-L Intense red "Wings"
    Spyderpops Spyclops Light
    Tric LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Madstad Windshield
    Phoenix - Wrap My Spyder
    Lamonster Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Rich's Custom Seats
    2017 F3-L , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

When I am traveling from here to there I use google maps or WAZE and they work fine. Now here is my issue. Say I want to visit all the covered bridges in Lancaster PA. So at home in NY I go on the computer and set up the route point to point in google maps. Then email it to my phone. The issues are first you need to be spot on with your first location or the trip wont start, if you don't hit the exact spot on any of your trips it wont continue. If you get too far off track it wont continue. I have had success using this method more than once, but at times it did not want to follow my route and made up its own on the fly.
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, Google is good at recalculating. If I'm on the interstate I know where I'm going (most of the time) I turn Google Maps off and I just keep my exit number in mind. After taking the exit it's generally time to rest the butt. I turn Google Maps back on and it picks right up and shows me the route to my destination. Works great and rarely is ever wrong.

Spyder Garage

I have been using MapQuest. On a recent trip MapQuest was running on my iPhone for 8-9 hours on the way there and 8-9 hours on the way back with no navigation issues and used little data. I don't know the exact number but it was less than 1gb.
    Wayne Bishop

2015 RT-S Special Series
    2017 F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like Waze but when I find myself out of cell service Waze is useless. I have either TomTom or Garmin that had built in map data.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for your concise thoughts and opinions on this subject. I have used a Garmin Zumo 660 for 5 years, and will miss it when my Spyder gets (soon) traded in. Nice to know that there are some alternatives since I can't pop for a new Garmin.