Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Member AngryBug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Hume, Missouri
    Posts
    22
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Totally thrilled, but soaking wet!

    Well, took a gamble and lost. Studied the radar and weather forecast and really thought I'd be out of town before the rain started but Mother Nature threw me a curveball and swung that storm around right into my path. First time as a rider in a torrential downpour. Completely thrilled with how Angry Bug handled the rain and wet roads. I have been fretting that if I ever got caught in the rain I'd wind up in a ditch, but she handled the weather conditions like a champ! I am home and dry now, but right after the rain broke my smyle was a myle wyde! I'm still glowing! Took a road that I knew ran parallel to the highway, because I know how the idiots drive in the rain. Although I was soaked to the bone (even with my rain gear) I felt just as safe and as surefooted as when I am in the car. So proud that I handled it on my own and really feel like my confidence has soared! Just had to share because I am so excited!
    Stephanie &


    2017
    F3T SE6 "Angry Bug" adopted June 16, 2018
    Wish list is growing quickly!
    Added PB1 Floorboards before we left the dealership

  2. #2
    Very Active Member Chupaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Diego, CA.
    Posts
    30,782
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default Good to hear

    Glad you are home safe and sound and that your first experience in the rain went so well. They do handle the rain and have to say hail and snow as our first had it all. Glad it was just over the pass then just rain all the way home. congrants on your first soaker...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

    ​2012 RS sm5

  3. #3
    aka: akspyderman ARtraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NW Arkansas
    Posts
    34,355
    Spyder Garage
    6

    Default

    I do not like riding in a deluge. But the has proved that it is up to the task when required. Much more stable on three wheels compared to two.

    A reminder to not drive through standing water at over 50 mph. The will hydroplane.

    Currently Owned: 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium), 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow), 2015 Vulcan 900 LTD

    Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) Pictures of 2008 and 2009 Spyders are in Alaska Albums 2009 and 2010.
    5 Spyders, 10 years, 145,375 miles


  4. #4
    Member AngryBug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Hume, Missouri
    Posts
    22
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    A reminder to not drive through standing water at over 50 mph. The will hydroplane.
    Yeppers, that was a secondary reason for taking the scenic route, it's posted speed is 45 vs the highway's posted speed of 75. It's smooth, but not as heavily traveled because of the lower speed and the number of little communities / neighborhoods that drop it to 35. For safety's sake, I threw the hazards on and rode for the road conditions. I figured if I could go at my pace I could see any gathering water in the tracks a bit easier.

    Just saw on Facebook that the storm I got caught in dumped 3-1/2 inches in 30 minutes. I have no doubt that is an accurate measurement judging from the amount of water I wrung from my rain gear, jackets, jeans, shirt, socks, and bandana!
    Stephanie &


    2017
    F3T SE6 "Angry Bug" adopted June 16, 2018
    Wish list is growing quickly!
    Added PB1 Floorboards before we left the dealership

  5. #5
    Member AngryBug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Hume, Missouri
    Posts
    22
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    They do handle the rain and have to say hail and snow as our first had it all.
    Hoping to avoid hail and snow! Raindrops hurt enough! Definitely need to get my gloves out of hubby's bike, that was the only thing I lacked in my gear today. Well, other than a diving helmet!
    Stephanie &


    2017
    F3T SE6 "Angry Bug" adopted June 16, 2018
    Wish list is growing quickly!
    Added PB1 Floorboards before we left the dealership

  6. #6
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Knob Noster, MO.
    Posts
    2,490
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AngryBug View Post
    Well, took a gamble and lost. Studied the radar and weather forecast and really thought I'd be out of town before the rain started but Mother Nature threw me a curveball and swung that storm around right into my path. First time as a rider in a torrential downpour. Completely thrilled with how Angry Bug handled the rain and wet roads. I have been fretting that if I ever got caught in the rain I'd wind up in a ditch, but she handled the weather conditions like a champ! I am home and dry now, but right after the rain broke my smyle was a myle wyde! I'm still glowing! Took a road that I knew ran parallel to the highway, because I know how the idiots drive in the rain. Although I was soaked to the bone (even with my rain gear) I felt just as safe and as surefooted as when I am in the car. So proud that I handled it on my own and really feel like my confidence has soared! Just had to share because I am so excited!
    Glad everything worked good for you. One of the nice things about the Spyder is how it handles in the rain.

    PS. Just wish the rain would have moved northeast about a hundred miles, we could use it.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

    Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

  7. #7
    aka: akspyderman ARtraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NW Arkansas
    Posts
    34,355
    Spyder Garage
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AngryBug View Post
    Hoping to avoid hail and snow! Raindrops hurt enough! Definitely need to get my gloves out of hubby's bike, that was the only thing I lacked in my gear today. Well, other than a diving helmet!
    For that kind of rain--I recommend getting a good pair of waterproof riding gloves. They are out there, but you may have to look hard.

    Currently Owned: 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium), 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow), 2015 Vulcan 900 LTD

    Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) Pictures of 2008 and 2009 Spyders are in Alaska Albums 2009 and 2010.
    5 Spyders, 10 years, 145,375 miles


  8. #8
    Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Catonsville, MD
    Posts
    422
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default Waterproof Gloves

    When on 2 wheels, I had a pair of SealSkinz (neoprene scuba gloves), which, unfortunately, were stolen. To show a friend just how waterproof they were, I put one of the gloves on and held that hand in a bucket of ice water for 5 minutes. When I took my hand out of the water, after removing the glove it was still dry and warm. Hard to find SealSkinz in the U.S. now, but there are similar gloves out there.
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light

  9. #9
    Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    3,242
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    For that kind of rain--I recommend getting a good pair of waterproof riding gloves. They are out there, but you may have to look hard.
    Not really hard to find at all. Revzilla has a bunch. I purchased a pair made by Rev'it and they are outstanding. Fully Gortex lined and they have been awesome. I have another pair of lighter weight WP gloves by AlpineStar and they are great for warmer storms.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

    2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

  10. #10
    Member AngryBug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Hume, Missouri
    Posts
    22
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    For that kind of rain--I recommend getting a good pair of waterproof riding gloves. They are out there, but you may have to look hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderConvert View Post
    When on 2 wheels, I had a pair of SealSkinz (neoprene scuba gloves), which, unfortunately, were stolen. To show a friend just how waterproof they were, I put one of the gloves on and held that hand in a bucket of ice water for 5 minutes. When I took my hand out of the water, after removing the glove it was still dry and warm. Hard to find SealSkinz in the U.S. now, but there are similar gloves out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Revzilla has a bunch. I purchased a pair made by Rev'it and they are outstanding. Fully Gortex lined and they have been awesome. I have another pair of lighter weight WP gloves by AlpineStar and they are great for warmer storms.
    Another item for my wish list! I have a insulated pair for fall/winter riding and a lighter pair that I bought for the riding course I took (gloves required, was not doing insulated gloves in July). Neither are waterproof, but they would cut the sting of the rain hitting my hands.

    I am going to look at the bike shop tomorrow while they are doing my first maintenance. I have a hard time finding gloves that fit because my fingers are apparently longer than the average folks with my hand size.
    Stephanie &


    2017
    F3T SE6 "Angry Bug" adopted June 16, 2018
    Wish list is growing quickly!
    Added PB1 Floorboards before we left the dealership

  11. #11
    Active Member Scotts8826's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    175
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Caution while driving or riding any vehicle is required when riding in the rain. With that said, a buddy and I rode the Tail of the Dragon last year in a downpour. We were the only two riders on the entire length of the road and back. The two wheelers didn't dare go out but our Spyders handled it just fine.

  12. #12
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Columbia,Tennessee
    Posts
    271
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scotts8826 View Post
    Caution while driving or riding any vehicle is required when riding in the rain. With that said, a buddy and I rode the Tail of the Dragon last year in a downpour. We were the only two riders on the entire length of the road and back. The two wheelers didn't dare go out but our Spyders handled it just fine.
    yes the dragon and two wheels don't get along with each other in the rain. Unless your brave or like me just crazy and hard headed. I like to ride it early in the morning before all the other riders get out. A cup of coffee and a honey bun and off up the hill we go. It's great

  13. #13
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Columbia,Tennessee
    Posts
    271
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AngryBug View Post
    Well, took a gamble and lost. Studied the radar and weather forecast and really thought I'd be out of town before the rain started but Mother Nature threw me a curveball and swung that storm around right into my path. First time as a rider in a torrential downpour. Completely thrilled with how Angry Bug handled the rain and wet roads. I have been fretting that if I ever got caught in the rain I'd wind up in a ditch, but she handled the weather conditions like a champ! I am home and dry now, but right after the rain broke my smyle was a myle wyde! I'm still glowing! Took a road that I knew ran parallel to the highway, because I know how the idiots drive in the rain. Although I was soaked to the bone (even with my rain gear) I felt just as safe and as surefooted as when I am in the car. So proud that I handled it on my own and really feel like my confidence has soared! Just had to share because I am so excited!
    good for you, any time you get back home safe and happy is a good day. Ride Safe. Happy Trails

  14. #14
    Active Member Tanshanomi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    213
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    The Spyder's ability to handle wet roads, especially when accompanied by high winds, the specific reason I went from two wheels to three. I've headed out in pouring rain a bunch of times, and as long as there isn't truly deadly weather (lightning and/or tornadoes), my wife and I think nothing of riding in the rain.

    As far as rain gloves go, I discovered that cheap Bass Pro neoprene fishing gloves work as well for $18 as expensive neo riding gloves do at twice the price or more. The nice thing is that the ends of the thumb and forefinger can be flipped back, so you don't need to take the gloves off when you need better dexterity. They aren't winter gloves, but they keep my hands comfy on rainy summer days, even all day deluges.

    https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass...fishing-gloves

    1098913_73534_is.jpg

    2013 RS-S SM5 [His] 2012 RT SM5 [Hers] 1977 Bultaco custom roadster 1974 Honda CL125S

  15. #15
    Member AngryBug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Hume, Missouri
    Posts
    22
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scotts8826 View Post
    Caution while driving or riding any vehicle is required when riding in the rain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanshanomi View Post
    The Spyder's ability to handle wet roads, especially when accompanied by high winds, the specific reason I went from two wheels to three. I've headed out in pouring rain a bunch of times, and as long as there isn't truly deadly weather (lightning and/or tornadoes), my wife and I think nothing of riding in the rain.

    As far as rain gloves go, I discovered that cheap Bass Pro neoprene fishing gloves work as well for $18 as expensive neo riding gloves do at twice the price or more.
    I am not a big risk taker so I tend to be cautious anyway, more so if the roads are not ideal. I guess that comes from being raised by a truck driver and then turning around and marrying one. I have heard stories about careless drivers, bad weather conditions, etc. my whole life. I'd rather get to my destination late but safely than be dead in a ditch bexause I was in a hurry. Too many times had annoying little delays only to find out later that if I'd left "on time" I'd have been in the middle of someone else's screw up.

    I have yet to intentionally head out in bad weather, but it's nice to know now that I can handle it. Actually got stuck in another storm Thursday after I got my bike serviced. I stopped at the little general store/liquor store when I got home to pick up some ice and get a soda before heading to the house. She said I must be a rain magnet and asked that I drive my granny-mobile during the week of the town fair so they don't get rained out LOL. Even tried bribing me with ice cream or "anything i want from the store" if I promised to take the car next week!
    Stephanie &


    2017
    F3T SE6 "Angry Bug" adopted June 16, 2018
    Wish list is growing quickly!
    Added PB1 Floorboards before we left the dealership

  16. #16
    Invalid Emails
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    United States Texas
    Posts
    3
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AngryBug View Post
    Another item for my wish list! I have a insulated pair for fall/winter riding and a lighter pair that I bought for the riding course I took (gloves required, was not doing insulated gloves in July). Neither are waterproof, but they would cut the sting of the rain hitting my hands.

    I am going to look at the bike shop tomorrow while they are doing my first maintenance. I have a hard time finding gloves that fit because my fingers are apparently longer than the average folks with my hand size.
    I remember one story when I was last time on hunting and I got soked to the bone! It was horrible really but I was worry that in my pocket was a waterproof notebook and it didn't wet!!! Do you imagine? When my son gifted this I thought for what I need this?But you know I say thank you! So my story is about that if you're going hunt somewhere away and if it rains then only waterproofs notebooks take with yourself! Well, from my experience Have you had this situation in your life? and if you need this one you can chose a onplanners.com notebook here and I'm sure you'll say me thank you!

  17. #17
    Very Active Member pegasus1300's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Spring City,Utah
    Posts
    3,040
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AngryBug View Post
    Y

    Just saw on Facebook that the storm I got caught in dumped 3-1/2 inches in 30 minutes. I have no doubt that is an accurate measurement judging from the amount of water I wrung from my rain gear, jackets, jeans, shirt, socks, and bandana!
    Well I was going to ask you if you knew why you got so wet thru your rain gear,but that answers the question. That is a lot of rain. Glad you made it safely thru.

    Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

    2012 RT L
    AMA
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    Venture Riders
    TOI

  18. #18
    aka: akspyderman ARtraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NW Arkansas
    Posts
    34,355
    Spyder Garage
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanshanomi View Post
    The Spyder's ability to handle wet roads, especially when accompanied by high winds, the specific reason I went from two wheels to three. I've headed out in pouring rain a bunch of times, and as long as there isn't truly deadly weather (lightning and/or tornadoes), my wife and I think nothing of riding in the rain.

    As far as rain gloves go, I discovered that cheap Bass Pro neoprene fishing gloves work as well for $18 as expensive neo riding gloves do at twice the price or more. The nice thing is that the ends of the thumb and forefinger can be flipped back, so you don't need to take the gloves off when you need better dexterity. They aren't winter gloves, but they keep my hands comfy on rainy summer days, even all day deluges.

    https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass...fishing-gloves

    1098913_73534_is.jpg
    YUP! Thinking a bit "out of the box" is the place for waterproof gloves.

    Currently Owned: 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium), 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow), 2015 Vulcan 900 LTD

    Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) Pictures of 2008 and 2009 Spyders are in Alaska Albums 2009 and 2010.
    5 Spyders, 10 years, 145,375 miles


  19. #19
    formerly pman2011 YIRYDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    410
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I have a pair of gauntlet rain glove covers from Aerostich, http://www.aerostich.com/clothing/gl...n-glove-covers. I also found then by Frogg Toggs after I purchased them from Aerostich, https://www.froggtoggs.com/pilot-frogg-storm-gauntlet/.

    They take a while to get use to wearing but they worked great, easy to store and also helps keep hands warm.
    [B]


    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 miles, traded May 2019
    2018 Intense Red F3T

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •